Stephen Eustaquio

36 minutes ago, Colliedor said:

ok so how does this work?

The window closes tomorrow. Stephen has a game on Thursday. Won't he have to travel to turkey to take a medical and then fly to Canada afterwards if all of this was true? Seems like an awful tight schedule, no?

Maybe that’s why we called 7 midfielders. Even without him we could still start Hutchinson, Osorio and Kaye with Wotherspoon, Piette and Fraser on the bench. That’s some nice depth. 
And normally when we talk about how we compare against the USA we say we have the edge with wingers and strikers but I’d extend that to central midfield as well.

2 hours ago, Colliedor said:

The window closes tomorrow. Stephen has a game on Thursday. Won't he have to travel to turkey to take a medical and then fly to Canada afterwards if all of this was true? Seems like an awful tight schedule, no?

It's a very good point, but it has a standard solution: the deal only goes through if he passes the medical when in Istanbul. Which then, if Paços disagrees, could go to arbitration. 

Have to say: if it'd been a done deal before the last Paços match, he may not have played. 

The international window does in fact interfere with the critical days of the transfer deadline. 

12 hours ago, Colliedor said:

Window does not shut until the 8th in Turkey. The closer deadline is the one for UEFA competitions which Thursday the 2nd at 24:00 CET. 

https://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/news/026c-12ed33745f21-a63cc70aaed6-1000--champions-league-squads/

Also my club just did a medical in Paris for a player, so he doesn't absolutely need to go to Istanbul.  Edit: Just did another one apparently, Vlasic stayed with his national team for the medical and signing.  Might be the norm with protocols today. 

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

7 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Also my club just did a medical in Paris for a player, so he doesn't absolutely need to go to Istanbul.  Edit: Just did another one apparently, Vlasic stayed with his national team for the medical and signing.  Might be the norm with protocols today. 

I'd suggest that it's much easier for a player to do a medical in Paris (or anywhere in Europe) than it would be for Eustaquio in Toronto.

7 minutes ago, RS said:

I'd suggest that it's much easier for a player to do a medical in Paris (or anywhere in Europe) than it would be for Eustaquio in Toronto.

How so? It was not done with the club doctors, they looked at the results later.   The second was done in Croatia, I would guess.   Toronto would have equal or better level of sports medicine than the latter.  Just speculating. 

Either way, he has more time than either those transfers as well. 

3 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

How so? It was not done with the club doctors, they looked at the results later.   The second was done in Croatia, I would guess.   Toronto would have equal or better level of sports medicine than the latter.  Just speculating. 

Either way, he has more time than either those transfers as well. 

It all depends on whether the team wants to use its own doctors.

If Fener's OK with contracting that job out to a third-party team of doctors, then you're right it can easily be done here. It comes down to the preference of the club, really.

1 minute ago, RS said:

It all depends on whether the team wants to use its own doctors.

If Fener's OK with contracting that job out to a third-party team of doctors, then you're right it can easily be done here. It comes down to the preference of the club, really.

West Ham have always brought the player in, done the cheesy video, picture without a shirt at the private hospital that was a sponsor etc, etc.  But not this year close to the deadline and because of protocols, I guess.  Less preference I think, more reality of the world in 2021.  

That's odd as it's like a promo. 

Normally as you say, you bring the player in. But as I posted, you can sign the deal and only if the medical reveals a major structural or congenital problem the buyer has the right to pull out the deal.

This was a rather famous case of the Rangers doctor shooting down a signing for a player based on a MRI with no solid reason. And the player going on to a great career. There's a funny twist. 

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/former-rangers-target-raul-tamudo-9019437

11 hours ago, toontownman said:

Eustaquio stays in Portugal then by the looks of things. Could be worse but a shame given the Porto and Italian links that never materialized.

I mentioned earlier, the Turkish league window has a week left.  So Fenerbache think they are the only ones left at the table.  However, if they want him to play in the Europa League, it has to happen before the end of the day tomorrow (2nd) CET.  

I am starting to really enjoy watching Turkish fans thoughts on Canadian players, just for entertainment.  One riffing on the theme above:

Translation: "We are the only ones left at the table in the transfer of Stephen Eustáquio Ali Koç [Fenerbache president] continues the negotiations as follows"

But without others driving up the price, Pacos may not get what they want and keep him, as you say.  

Update:  Add to that the Pacos President says he will not sell for a fee "que considera insignificante." Interpret that how you will. 

Just now, karacicek said:

Last minute...!

Paços de Ferreira President Paulo Meneses has announced that he will not sell the 24-year-old Canadian defensive midfielder Stephen Eustaquio, who is allegedly wanted to join Fenerbahçe's squad, without a serious transfer fee

(A Bola)

I think Eustaquio needs a new agent. It seems he signed with Pacos to repay their faith in him and now he's being held hostage. The guy has been linked with a dozen teams and can't get a move in spite of his spectacular performances. One has to believe that Pacos is being unreasonable in their ask - and that is the fault of the agent for not negotiating a buyout clause. 

8 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

I think Eustaquio needs a new agent. It seems he signed with Pacos to repay their faith in him and now he's being held hostage. The guy has been linked with a dozen teams and can't get a move in spite of his spectacular performances. One has to believe that Pacos is being unreasonable in their ask - and that is the fault of the agent for not negotiating a buyout clause. 

In the case of the Porto links a number of fans have maintained he was always a contingency plan.

8 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Pacos has wage bill of just over 2 million Euro for the entire team.  Eustaquio makes 440K so he's their highest paid player.  They paid a record 2.5 mil Euro for him.  They aren't going to give him away for what they paid for him.  We have no idea what the offers have been.  It's entirely possible suitors are looking at the club and low balling them given their financial situation.  The club has every right to hold onto the player to the next window.  He has a real opportunity to increase his value in international play.  

17 minutes ago, karacicek said:

Last minute...!

Paços de Ferreira President Paulo Meneses has announced that he will not sell the 24-year-old Canadian defensive midfielder Stephen Eustaquio, who is allegedly wanted to join Fenerbahçe's squad, without a serious transfer fee

(A Bola)

The A Bola story from yesterday came from the comments the President made then.  I am not sure why a bunch of Turkish outlets/posters have jumped on it as new.  Other than there is no other news, which is not great either, to be fair. 

https://www.abola.pt/Clubes/2021-08-31/pacos-de-ferreira-paulo-meneses-segura-eustaquio/903117/469

3 minutes ago, prairiecanuck said:

Pacos has wage bill of just over 2 million Euro for the entire team.  Eustaquio makes 440K so he's their highest paid player.  They paid a record 2.5 mil Euro for him.  They aren't going to give him away for what they paid for him.  We have no idea what the offers have been.  It's entirely possible suitors are looking at the club and low balling them given their financial situation.  The club has every right to hold onto the player to the next window.  He has a real opportunity to increase his value in international play.  

Eustaquio held the cards before he signed the contract though. He could have left on a free this summer or insisted on a buyout clause, which would release the club's right to hold onto him until the next window. No one is saying that they should give him away for what they paid. 

Heck, they could have even made it so that the buyout clause only kicked in when the team was eliminated in Europe. I'd suggest something like 5 million would be reasonable for all parties given the circumstances of him signing.

6 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Eustaquio held the cards before he signed the contract though. He could have left on a free this summer or insisted on a buyout clause, which would release the club's right to hold onto him until the next window. No one is saying that they should give him away for what they paid. 

Heck, they could have even made it so that the buyout clause only kicked in when the team was eliminated in Europe. I'd suggest something like 5 million would be reasonable for all parties given the circumstances of him signing.

Going through a close to career ending injury makes you look for security, I would guess.  Hindsight...and all that. 

40 minutes ago, prairiecanuck said:

Thanks for the insight. 

I appreciate they'd want 5-6 million. 

Further, selling so late would leave them without options to use the money. 

Also: if his WCQ minutes with us are strong, his value will rise. 

I'm disappointed as I thought a major club like Fenerbace would be ideal.