Stephen Eustaquio

51 minutes ago, PiedPilko said:

He needs to get off this team but I don't think he's shown enough to make it happen. He'll very likely be spending this season on a relegation candidate Pacos.

Yes, let’s hope he can get a move up… this journalists seems to think there’s a possibility:

Edited by TOcanadafan

Interesting link, no idea how solid. 

"Fenerbahce wants Stephen Eustáquio
The last game with Fr. Ferreira's shirt is about to play tonight

Stephen Eustáquio is about to play his last game tonight with Fr. Ferreira's shirt. The midfielder has been followed by many clubs, but the destination could be Fenerbahçe. The Turkish club expressed its desire to have the Canadian international, and the deal could be completed in the next few hours."

https://www.record.pt/futebol/futebol-nacional/liga-bwin/p--ferreira/detalhe/fenerbahce-quer-stephen-eustaquio

Not Champions League but in the Europa League group stages. 

1 hour ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Interesting link, no idea how solid. 

"Fenerbahce wants Stephen Eustáquio
The last game with Fr. Ferreira's shirt is about to play tonight

Stephen Eustáquio is about to play his last game tonight with Fr. Ferreira's shirt. The midfielder has been followed by many clubs, but the destination could be Fenerbahçe. The Turkish club expressed its desire to have the Canadian international, and the deal could be completed in the next few hours."

https://www.record.pt/futebol/futebol-nacional/liga-bwin/p--ferreira/detalhe/fenerbahce-quer-stephen-eustaquio

Not Champions League but in the Europa League group stages. 

Turkish rumours abound. 

It's rather unusual for effective defensive minds to go late and pricey in the transfer window. Now if he'd scored that Tico free kick vs Spurs.... 

54 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

It's rather unusual for effective defensive minds to go late and pricey in the transfer window. 

Other than Thomas Partey and Tomas Soucek, who are in the top 15 valued in the world,( first was pricey, second effective) I can't think of any off the top of my head.

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

58 minutes ago, Floortom said:

Those Eustaqiuo to fenerbache rumours have a lot of steam now. Typically I would not have given them much credence for the reasons mentioned above but who knows

Complete with the bad "Welcome to..." youtube videos. They all seem to come back to the one Portuguese paper, who, it seems, got it from a journalist who is Portuguese but does not work for them.

For the record, I, for one, think worse things could happen. 

Don’t get me wrong, there are great teams and great players in Turkey. BUT…part of me selfishly wants the rumour to fall through just because I know the talent Eustaquio has and I feel like he deserves a lot better. 

Maybe I’m not seeing it from every angle, and I get it, if there is no other offers at the table then you can’t complain when one finally does come along but still. If someone could explain why this move makes more sense than staying in Portugal I would love to be enlightened. So far, I see this as taking a step back but I hope I’m wrong 

12 minutes ago, OhCanadaOhBaby said:

Don’t get me wrong, there are great teams and great players in Turkey. BUT…part of me selfishly wants the rumour to fall through just because I know the talent Eustaquio has and I feel like he deserves a lot better. 

Maybe I’m not seeing it from every angle, and I get it, if there is no other offers at the table then you can’t complain when one finally does come along but still. If someone could explain why this move makes more sense than staying in Portugal I would love to be enlightened. So far, I see this as taking a step back but I hope I’m wrong 

I guess a positive angle is that he would play in Europa League and his play can be shown across Europe better than league games in Portugal for a future transfer down the road. They also a top 3 club in Turkey, compared to a slightly above average club in Pacos. Also gets to train with legends like Ozil. Just a few that makes it a positive transfer in my opinion.

17 minutes ago, OhCanadaOhBaby said:

Fenerbache taking a step back versus Pacos? I wouldn’t agree with that. In terms of why Turkey over Portugal, Turkey is probably offering more money. 

They're a  much better team than Pacos, and I don't buy that Turkey is a lower level than Portugal. Porto/Sporting/Benfica > Besiktas/Galatasaray/Fenerbahce, but there's not much difference after that IMO.

Still though, I think it's a disappointing move. I'd take it over staying at Pacos who are shaping up to be a lower table team this season, but Steph can make it at a bigger setup. It's disappointing that no one else seems interested - there's not much else to say.

16 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

I’m not convinced that Portugal is a better league than Turkey even. Any difference is negligible in any event. In terms of club there’s no doubt Fenerbahce is a big step up. 

I would guess he's getting a big salary raise.  Probably double what he's making now, so I'm happy for the player.  He also gets to play in the Europa league.  If he continues to perform other teams will come calling in a year or two. 

I love how everyone’s positives start with, “I guess” or “If this”. Not very convincing stuff but I get what people are saying. 

My thing is this, knowing his talent I wouldn’t want to see him spend any more than 1 to 2 MAX seasons outside of either the big 5 leagues or the Champions league. At the very least I feel like he deserves CL if he’s going to settle for a smaller league like Turkey. 

Club wise I think Fenerbahce is a great club yes, but it’s about the journey and the ultimate destination. The more you spend time floating about outside the Top 5 leagues the less likely you are to make it there(which for me should be Stephs ultimate destination) My fear is that a transfer to Turkey at this point will turn into a longer stay, where I think what’s best for him is a short transfer and on to the next. 
That’s where my uncertainty comes from about the move, if you knew it would be a one and done situation I’d feel better but you never know.

You need to have offers from CL clubs to play for them. People here seem to just assume that those offers are out there…but Pacos hasn’t taken them for some reason ??

I think the truth of the matter is this is the best offer yet. Stephen will get a huge increase and will play in Europa and challenge for the league title. It’s a decent move and hopefully bigger clubs come knocking in time.

12 minutes ago, Floortom said:

You need to have offers from CL clubs to play for them. People here seem to just assume that those offers are out there…but Pacos hasn’t taken them for some reason ??

I think the truth of the matter is this is the best offer yet. Stephen will get a huge increase and will play in Europa and challenge for the league title. It’s a decent move and hopefully bigger clubs come knocking in time.

For sure. I'm more disappointed that those offers aren't there, when they seemed to be in January. No one remembers this anymore, but Porto were this close to closing a loan-buy agreement in the winter window.

It's a chance he has to take, but it sucks that this is his only real option. Personally, I'm just tired of this or that move being a 'Pathway to a higher level' and so on. He's almost 25... there comes a point where that pathway disappears and he spends the rest of his career on a good not great team.

Edited by PiedPilko

1 hour ago, OhCanadaOhBaby said:

If he stays in Portugal, he plays less than 40* club matches, at best, with maybe 10 against decent opposition. If he goes to Fenerbahce, he plays over 50* games, with at least half of those against decent opposition. He also gets to experience a new adventure living in one of the world's truly great cities, kicking with Atiba and Cyle during the week (except in the lead-up to the derbies), and gets exposed to far more eyes with respect to his next move. Also, when you play every other game at the Saracoglu, and you play 2-4 derbies in Istanbul, which make playing away in Honduras or El Salvador that much less daunting.

*form and injuries permitting.

Edited by SthMelbRed