Stephen Eustaquio

Yağız Sabuncuoğlu ;
He stated on his youtube channel that he talked to the president of the Paços Ferreira club on the phone, asked him many times, and that the president said "we will definitely not sell".

But I still have little reason to be hopeful.

1st one; There are transfer offers for Miha Zajc and José Sosa. ( There are rumors that the offers are serious )
2. Number 7 is still vacant in Fenerbahçe...  😉  
3. Fenerbahce president said, "Even if it doesn't reach the European league, we will try to fulfill Choch's wishes until the last moment of the transfer time."

So I have a little hope.

Yağız Sabuncu.jpg

All the windows closed.  Pacos not playing too many extra games (one cup game each of the next two months). Hopefully gets a bit of rest and continues to be the glue that keeps our midfield together.

Glad he getting some recognition in a position that often doesn't.

4 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

https://theathletic.com/2814727/2021/09/08/stephen-eustaquio-canada/

'Stache getting some love from the Athletic.

I have a subscription and from his brother Mauro and others in the article, it's clear that Herdman was absolutely instrumental in convincing him to play for Canada. Herdman made dozens of calls to Eustaquio  before he commited.

1 hour ago, Snowcrash said:

I have a subscription and from his brother Mauro and others in the article, it's clear that Herdman was absolutely instrumental in convincing him to play for Canada. Herdman made dozens of calls to Eustaquio  before he commited.

I think that is what most of us thought to be true, but the confirmation is nice. It also reinforces the idea that Herdman will be using every tool he has to get the uncommitted duals to buy into the movement that is underway over the medium to long term.  A few strategic additions would be pretty big - even though I think we probably have the horses to do the job with the squad as it stands.  

1 hour ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

Love love love Eustaquio but don't think he has the profile/pedigree to be a serious National team player for Portugal. 

Especially staying at pacos.

Agreed but he’s the type that could get an exploratory cap or two or three and chase the dream for the rest of his career

7 hours ago, Snowcrash said:

Eustsaquio would need a motor like Kante to be in the mix for Portugal and short of growing an extra lung, it's unlikely to happen.

? Eustaquio's motor and work rate over 90 minutes, game after game, is ridiculous.  He may lack the pace and tackling ability of Kante, but motor?  I don't think so.

Heading. No one talks about his heading of the ball it seems. From his first game for CMNT having never watched him before, it was his heading of the ball that stood out for me. Not in attack. Not in defense. But in the press. Winning those headers off of a clearing attempt is something that most midfielders never even bother with properly. But he does. Running to the ball. Running back to the ball. It's ridiculous.

So many attacks die at that point. But less so when he is on the field. It is a rare. But valuable gift to have a smaller, more mobile midfielder who is so dominant in the air, like S. E.

But perhaps I am the only one seeing that.

Edited by Wingback6

7 hours ago, GasPed said:

? Eustaquio's motor and work rate over 90 minutes, game after game, is ridiculous.  He may lack the pace and tackling ability of Kante, but motor?  I don't think so.

Eustaquio is crazy fit but I've watched World Cup matches where Kante looks like he's doing a beep test for the entire game.

1 hour ago, Shway said:

Name another player where you’ve seen that kind of engine.

Xavi never tired. They say he had the best fitness on the best Barça, based on testing.

Frenkie de Jong is habitually the player on the pitch for us running the most. Which I am not sure is a good thing. If you are an efficient passing team, maybe you don't need that much motor, the tactics and positioning should save you a % of running.

I get the feeling that SE could do way more, I have not seen him overwhelmed or out of his league a single time in these last matches. Though I do think that vs. Honduras, with limited midfield support, we impeded his talent and he was more easily covered when we were trying to play out.