Stephen Eustaquio

15 minutes ago, MtlMario said:

You never know what you'll get here on any given day. One day you'll get people posting charts showing we got about 70% chance of going to Qatar and the next day we are a big IF away. I love it. For me personally it's a very small "if".😃

I agree with you but what I don't understand is this reliance in soccer on past performance. EX: Last time Canada won in central america was in 2004 or some other past failure. For me that's an irrelevant stat. All those national teams that didn't win in Central America didn't have Davies, David, Larin, Buchanan, Eustaquio. We are talking about a different team with a different set of players.

34 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I have never been in the over confident category.  Too much trauma over the years to assume anything at this point.  Lots of hurdles left.  

Trust me, I know all about the "trauma" since the early 80's that I'm following the MNT, but somehow this team feels different. Sure we may not win all of our away games but I'm sure we'll win enough to make top 3.😏

23 minutes ago, Sal333 said:

I agree with you but what I don't understand is this reliance in soccer on past performance. EX: Last time Canada won in central america was in 2004 or some other past failure. For me that's an irrelevant stat. All those national teams that didn't win in Central America didn't have Davies, David, Larin, Buchanan, Eustaquio. We are talking about a different team with a different set of players.

Because thats all you have to go on???  I tried using future performance and it was a disaster.  Listen, people quote the past because many times we thought we had good teams, good players, good coaches and it all went to shit.  Obviously these trends go through multiple generations of players, our and theirs.  But you have to acknowledge that these things are not easy, and if they were we wouldnt be talking about streaks lasting 20 years eh?  Look at the mid 2000s, MLS all stars Dero, Onstad, we had stars in big european leagues, Stalteri, Deguz, Mckenna, Hutch, Brennan and it wasnt easy.  Until they actually go and do some of this things, and prove they can do it,  I will be somewhat reserved in my enthusiasm.  

47 minutes ago, Sal333 said:

Watching Canada find new and exciting ways to shit all over themselves for the past 25 years in Central America has rightly given people whatever the sports version of PTSD is.

Edited by theaub

1 hour ago, theaub said:

Watching Canada find new and exciting ways to shit all over themselves for the past 25 years in Central America has rightly given people whatever the sports version of PTSD is.

1 hour ago, Bison44 said:

Because thats all you have to go on???  I tried using future performance and it was a disaster.  Listen, people quote the past because many times we thought we had good teams, good players, good coaches and it all went to shit.  Obviously these trends go through multiple generations of players, our and theirs.  But you have to acknowledge that these things are not easy, and if they were we wouldnt be talking about streaks lasting 20 years eh?  Look at the mid 2000s, MLS all stars Dero, Onstad, we had stars in big european leagues, Stalteri, Deguz, Mckenna, Hutch, Brennan and it wasnt easy.  Until they actually go and do some of this things, and prove they can do it,  I will be somewhat reserved in my enthusiasm.  

Looking at past results to predict the present is as fruitless as ignoring the past. If looking at the past was so reliable then the implication is that nothing will change. And we've been told by Buddha and George Harrison that everything changes.

The players you mentioned are not in the same league as the ones playing today. Also, the past managers for the most part didn't have the set of skills Herdman has.

The biggest difference with this team over past teams is mentality. I give Herdman a lot of credit for that, but it's also obviously down to the players being able to rise to the occasion and be fearless and ruthless, and yes, having the talent to back it up. We've had talented players in the past, but we've always carried an inferiority complex with us as a team. We don't have that anymore. If anything we have a superiority complex, and teams fear us now. That's why I think this team is different and any comparisons to past cycles is like apples to oranges. The story of this team is being written right now.

With age one becomes more measured but I do agree that this team's mentality is the big difference with prior WCQ squads. We have come back to get results in 4 games now where we went down a goal. History is important but when was the last time we went into Azteca or played the USA away and got results? Our top players  are producing and are the difference makers unlike past teams. It's not just the performance in the past 6 games but the GC and our wins over Suriname and Haiti that indicates this team is different. There is still a long way to go but even for the most beaten down Vs there has to be a touch of optimism yes?

31 minutes ago, Sal333 said:

Looking at past results to predict the present is as fruitless as ignoring the past. If looking at the past was so reliable then the implication is that nothing will change. And we've been told by Buddha and George Harrison that everything changes.

The players you mentioned are not in the same league as the ones playing today. Also, the past managers for the most part didn't have the set of skills Herdman has.

I know i know....I can hear myself saying the same thing.  We just won the gold cup a few years ago!!!  When have we had 2 MLS allstars?? A guy killing it in LA LIGA, guys in Bunda, EPL, champions league....wow..the 2000's is soooooo different than before.  If we made it to the WC with a bunch of NASL cast offs and.domestic indoor guys in the 80's, now we are really going to kill it, I'm learning german (kuscheln wollen Frulein??) so I can celebrate in 2006!!!!  WOOOOO!!!!!   

Granted the guys are doing things we havnt seen Canada do lately, and we have had great results this past year but like you said its "fruitless to use those results to predict the future".  And after this window we still have to go down to Honduras, Panama, Costa rica, El Salvador.....which is where we have seen a lot of WC campaigns die and those teams play very tough at home.  I am hoping for the best but I cant quite buy into the raging optimism just yet.  

I find myself ping ponging between the 2 sides. At times I find myself thinking "If we make the World Cup, we have a good enough team that we could surprise some teams and get out of the group!" Then I think about how we haven't played in Central America yet, and I get really nervous that we won't make it. We are in a good position, but still lots of time left, lots of work to do.

The good news is that most of the players on the current CMNT do not carry any baggage or experiences from prior WCQ cycles like we do. I'm sure they are aware of the history but given that most of them are young they probably don't have any fear of playing in CA. Not sure if that's good or bad. I'm hoping it's a good  :)

I just put on a feed to watch last 35 min of Paços - Sporting, and I watch Stephen go up for a header and land on the rival's back and then on his head. Bad. Seems okay though, still playing. Sporting has scored twice this second half, 0-2. Little differences in quality, but Eustaquio is in the mix constantly, always present. I think his level is above quite a few of his teammates.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

Pacos are hard to watch this year. None of the creativity/quick thinking from last season, as expected considering all the talent they lost. Their coach was a big part of it and even he left.

As great as Steph is, he's not gonna win the midfield by himself. He elevates more attack-minded players that Pacos no longer have.

Hope he's okay and I also hope some team comes to their senses and takes him in January. I don't care how unlikely it is! It almost happened last winter.

Edited by PiedPilko

On 11/2/2021 at 1:51 PM, Bison44 said:

I know i know....I can hear myself saying the same thing.  We just won the gold cup a few years ago!!!  When have we had 2 MLS allstars?? A guy killing it in LA LIGA, guys in Bunda, EPL, champions league....wow..the 2000's is soooooo different than before.  If we made it to the WC with a bunch of NASL cast offs and.domestic indoor guys in the 80's, now we are really going to kill it, I'm learning german (kuscheln wollen Frulein??) so I can celebrate in 2006!!!!  WOOOOO!!!!!   

Granted the guys are doing things we havnt seen Canada do lately, and we have had great results this past year but like you said its "fruitless to use those results to predict the future".  And after this window we still have to go down to Honduras, Panama, Costa rica, El Salvador.....which is where we have seen a lot of WC campaigns die and those teams play very tough at home.  I am hoping for the best but I cant quite buy into the raging optimism just yet.  

You have given me an idea for a new thread. 

• 2 weeks later...