Stephen Eustaquio

37 minutes ago, Atlantic said:

Eustaquio’s IG story seems to have lead for some reporters to assume he’s saying goodbye when I’m like 99% sure it’s about playing for Canada next week 

Yup. He's even wearing a Canada jersey.

Some are now reporting that the Paços president has told Turkish journalists that he has not negotiated with Fenerbahce, but that could still be part of the negotiation tactic.

Anyways, some suggesting things are cooling. Regardless, seems like the club has a lot of mids on the roster and has looked at others, including from Portugal.

I don’t see the downside of this Fenerbahce move.

Yes his ceiling is higher than Turkey, but if you ask me he’s more likely to move to a top 5 league from Fenerbahce than Pacos.

Many of us were hoping for the Porto > Top 5 career path, because it was seemingly his best way to the top, but next season he is 26 with no guarantee of the Porto move.

I would rather Eustáquio have a season under his belt at Fenerbahce than another at Pacos. Like others have said, he gets to train and play with better players, such as Ozil and others like Enner Valencia (ex-Tigres), plus the likes of Luis Gustavo (ex-Brazil, Bayern, Wolfsburg) is someone he’ll surely learn from.

He’s not getting any of that tutelage at Pacos and you can’t say well he would get it at Porto because Porto is not a option at the moment and never may be.

Even if Eustáquio was to get stuck at Fenerbahce and play the rest of his career there, it’s still a very decent club level for a Canadian national team player. He’ll win a ton of trophies and play in Europe every season, plus he’ll get paid well. He could do worse than become a legend for a big Turkish club (see Atiba Hutchinson).

Not a lot new to report this morning other than CNN Turkey says Fenerbache has started negotiations for him. I did like this one though:

"Yellow navy blues are interested in Canadian midfielder Stephen Eustaquio....Stephen Eustaquio, friend of Atiba and Larin from the national team, played for the Canadian national team 10 times."

https://www.sabah.com.tr/spor/futbol/2021/08/30/son-dakika-vitor-pereira-istedi-fenerbahce-ataga-gecti-kolasinac-olmadi-almanyadan-surpriz-transfer?paging=6

You don't need to give a first (or last) name or a club when you are talking about the Canadians in Turkey. 

7 hours ago, Obinna said:

Yes his ceiling is higher than Turkey, but if you ask me he’s more likely to move to a top 5 league from Fenerbahce than Pacos.

Many of us were hoping for the Porto > Top 5 career path, because it was seemingly his best way to the top, but next season he is 26 with no guarantee of the Porto move.

I would rather Eustáquio have a season under his belt at Fenerbahce than another at Pacos. Like others have said, he gets to train and play with better players, such as Ozil and others like Enner Valencia (ex-Tigres), plus the likes of Luis Gustavo (ex-Brazil, Bayern, Wolfsburg) is someone he’ll surely learn from.

He’s not getting any of that tutelage at Pacos and you can’t say well he would get it at Porto because Porto is not a option at the moment and never may be.

Even if Eustáquio was to get stuck at Fenerbahce and play the rest of his career there, it’s still a very decent club level for a Canadian national team player. He’ll win a ton of trophies and play in Europe every season, plus he’ll get paid well. He could do worse than become a legend for a big Turkish club (see Atiba Hutchinson).

Not to bring "political" factors into the decision but he can also convince Ferdi, who just scored yesterday, to switch to us. 

Edit: it was a banger to, just saw the highlights.

Edited by Macksam

First I have seen it outside Portugal and Turkey

"According to the latest information gathered by Calciomercato.it , negotiations are underway between Pacos de Ferreira and Fenerbahce for Eustaquio . At the moment, an agreement has not yet been reached, but the parties have been getting closer in the last few hours. The Canadian midfielder wants to take that extra step that would allow him to show off more after a great season."

https://www.calciomercato.it/2021/08/30/calciomercato-fenerbahce-pacos-ferreira-porto-braga-eustaquio/

2 hours ago, Macksam said:

Not to bring "political" factors into the decision but he can also convince Ferdi, who just scored yesterday, to switch to us. 

Edit: it was a banger to, just saw the highlights.

Honestly, this is a reasonable bonus to consider.   Having him playing side by side with a talented young dual that may or may not be sitting on the fence can’t hurt our cause.   Eustaquio would be talking up Canada, Ferdi would hear the (hopefully) great stories about our qualification process, and he would experience on a near-daily basis the calibre of players we are fielding these days.   None of that would hurt our chances of attracting him into our player pool.  To be honest, for anyone on the fence re Eustaquio playing with Pacos vs Fenerbache, this is actually a bit of a swaying factor.  Having a player like Eustaquio help in the recruitment process of a really promising dual can’t hurt.  

3 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Honestly, this is a reasonable bonus to consider.   Having him playing side by side with a talented young dual that may or may not be sitting on the fence can’t hurt our cause.   Eustaquio would be talking up Canada, Ferdi would hear the (hopefully) great stories about our qualification process, and he would experience on a near-daily basis the calibre of players we are fielding these days.   None of that would hurt our chances of attracting him into our player pool.  To be honest, for anyone on the fence re Eustaquio playing with Pacos vs Fenerbache, this is actually a bit of a swaying factor.  Having a player like Eustaquio help in the recruitment process of a really promising dual can’t hurt.  

And to add to that, who knows better than Eustaquio what it means to leave an elite European program for an upstart nation like Canada?

8 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Happy Hour in Istanbul

Atiba, Cyle, Ferdi & Stephen

This is a wrap

happy hour drinking GIF

9 hours ago, Obinna said:

5 years ago we would be on cloud nine for a Canadian to be playing for a top Turkish club like Fenerbache. Now we are getting spoiled with all our talent and thinking 3rd place teams in a decent European league isn't good enough. I guess its a great problem to have 😅

7 minutes ago, narduch said:

Fullham are currently in the Championship.

Yes and the cynical part of me thinks they might just be picking Portuguese managers to link him with.  

Still nice to have some whiffs of smoke somewhere, hopefully some actual fire in one.  

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

9 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Hard to say who I would prefer him to go to between Fulham and Fenerbahce. 

Fulham are looking good right now and have a lot of proven players at that level and above, but a lot of money and decent teams in the hunt there this year.  

Big CONCACAF contingent (always seem to have Americans for some reason). 

4 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Fulham are looking good right now and have a lot of proven players at that level and above, but a lot of money and decent teams in the hunt there this year.  

For sure. I love the concacaf feel at that club, and considering their yo-yo status, you got to think that's the best path to a Top 5 league if that's his goal. He's probably young enough too that once in the EPL a larger club may snap him up. On the flipside, there'd be no Europa League at Fulham and certainly no trophies, unless we count winning the Championship as a "trophy".

10 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Yeah.  I just noticed this on twitter.  This guy doesn't seem like the most reliable source, but it doesn't mean it isn't true either.  https://twitter.com/RhysDalySport/status/1432350544258076672?s=20

1 hour ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

A journalist thinks/wants us to think Fulham are in the mix

"SPECIAL | Fulham also made an offer to the player and his club for Stephen Eustaquio, whom Fenerbahçe wanted."

Wow, that journalist has almost half a million followers and the tweet got 5000 likes. 

It seems to me the typical way negotiations happen, there have to be other bids, and both sides have to have options, for the one good bid to happen. 

Something I've been meaning to comment on: Eustaquio has really magnificent body language. He excudes self-confidence and intelligence, he seems absolutely in place in so many pics and images. Then you see him play and his fitness is off the charts, he just goes and goes. And he has a ton of registers as well on the pitch, very versatile. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

1 hour ago, sandman said:

As a Fulham fan im biased. He would excel in the system we are playing, and im sure the lure of living in south london helps us. We look likley to stabilize in the prem next season under Silva. 

I think Fulham would be a good club for Stephen, but as a West Brom fan I'm not sure how I feel about this!  I wish the Baggies had got in.  He's miles better than Livermore at this point of Livermore's career.  

A few hours old news but Fenerbache could not come to an agreement for another Portuguese-based midfielder Hidemasa Morita, making Eustaquio probably a more important capture. 

https://www.cumhuriyet.com.tr/haber/fenerbahce-morita-transferini-tamamlayamadi-1864740

"Fenerbahce failed to complete Morita transfer

Morita's club, Santa Clara, whose name has been associated with Fenerbahçe for a while, has released a statement about the transfer."

9 hours ago, Obinna said:

Hard to say who I would prefer him to go to between Fulham and Fenerbahce. 

Europa/top Turkish club > English Championship

tough question, cause there's probably not a lot that separates the level of the two clubs and leagues generally (yes yes that's debatable I know) and there's a fair chance Fulham end up back in the EPL, but the deciding factors for me are:

1) In terms of developing a culture of winning, I think our players benefit more from competing in Europe and for titles in second tier D1s than fighting off relegation or fighting for promotion from a D2 league.

2) If Fulham don't get promoted he definitely has a better chance of transferring to a top league from Fenerhahce than from the Championship, and I'd take a bird in hand over two in the bush on that one.

Edited by A_Gagne