Jump to content

Recommended Posts

We are still waiting on teams/investors in Sask and Quebec.  And not all the teams we have are drawing what they should. I can see why Rollins would want to "break some news"  but jeepers the job of getting the CPL off the ground isnt done yet.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I would like to think it'd be much closer to 10 years than 15 and I am sure they are thinking sooner than that.

I would like to see them launch a HFX Wanderers ladies, for example, than a brand new franchise or even a different name.

Get everything under a single umbrella. Have them wear the same jerseys and play in the same venues, that way half the work is already done.

You could even run the same schedule and just run double headers. Have away teams on the same flights. It would be a very cool and unique set up, not to mention practical in keeping down costs.

And they can raise funds with the same open tryouts strategy.

Could also be a way to get the MLS owners involved in the CPL family 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Reign said:

I just don’t see any money in a women’s league right now. Anyone willing to buy into one is surely going to lose money. 

They've got to go through the motions on a women's league given how CSB works where both the CMNT and CWNT are concerned. Buying L1O makes more sense now, because the L1O women's league allows them to claim that they have a direct involvement in women's soccer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Obinna said:

I would like to think it'd be much closer to 10 years than 15 and I am sure they are thinking sooner than that.

I would like to see them launch a HFX Wanderers ladies, for example, than a brand new franchise or even a different name.

Get everything under a single umbrella. Have them wear the same jerseys and play in the same venues, that way half the work is already done.

You could even run the same schedule and just run double headers. Have away teams on the same flights. It would be a very cool and unique set up, not to mention practical in keeping down costs.

And they can raise funds with the same open tryouts strategy.

I actually really like this idea. Double-header men's & women's matches, but vary up so sometimes one is first, and sometimes the other.

The L1OW, together with the PLSQF, has been a fantastic step for women's soccer. I look forward to seeing some further expansion of women's leagues across the country, and perhaps even at a D2 & D1 level.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Obinna said:

I would like to think it'd be much closer to 10 years than 15 and I am sure they are thinking sooner than that.

I would like to see them launch a HFX Wanderers ladies, for example, than a brand new franchise or even a different name.

Get everything under a single umbrella. Have them wear the same jerseys and play in the same venues, that way half the work is already done.

You could even run the same schedule and just run double headers. Have away teams on the same flights. It would be a very cool and unique set up, not to mention practical in keeping down costs.

And they can raise funds with the same open tryouts strategy.

I'd like to see that too but I don't think that would fly in North America.  Calling a team the men's team name followed by "ladies" is surely to cause a social media **** storm.  

For the quality likely to be on display I think you could get 1,000 - 2,000 fans a game for most of the current cities.  Which is very low but at the same time I also imagine our women's league having a ton of 16-19 year olds, more so than the men's league.  With that in mind the league could look to set up a structure similar to the CHL where these women can earn an education and keep costs low for the teams.  Or perhaps the league doesn't go fully-professional and allows these girls to maintain their NCAA eligibility... that may be the way to go because you attract higher level talent and keep costs lower.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CanadaFan123 said:

I'd like to see that too but I don't think that would fly in North America.  Calling a team the men's team name followed by "ladies" is surely to cause a social media **** storm.  

For the quality likely to be on display I think you could get 1,000 - 2,000 fans a game for most of the current cities.  Which is very low but at the same time I also imagine our women's league having a ton of 16-19 year olds, more so than the men's league.  With that in mind the league could look to set up a structure similar to the CHL where these women can earn an education and keep costs low for the teams.  Or perhaps the league doesn't go fully-professional and allows these girls to maintain their NCAA eligibility... that may be the way to go because you attract higher level talent and keep costs lower.

Yeah I hear ya, but they don't even have to officially call them the *insert team name* ladies. It should be self explanatory they are female.

Agreed on your predicted attendance and if they can schedule games as double headers, it should help those attendance numbers, and perhaps for the men it would help too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whitecaps used to run doubleheaders and alternate with the men and women at times. Didn't look good when half the stadium left after the men's game ended when they played first.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Stanley said:

Whitecaps used to run doubleheaders and alternate with the men and women at times. Didn't look good when half the stadium left after the men's game ended when they played first.

It is what it is.

People are busy and need to be selective on how they allocate their free time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Huge win for Forge and the league. Honestly anything they do from here is a bonus. They showed that this league can compete with the Central Americans right off the bat. I don’t expect them to qualify for the CCL but we’ll see. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, canta15 said:

Huge win for Forge and the league. Honestly anything they do from here is a bonus. They showed that this league can compete with the Central Americans right off the bat. I don’t expect them to qualify for the CCL but we’ll see. 

If they can upset Olimpia they essentially have a 75% chance of making it.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, narduch said:

If they can upset Olimpia they essentially have a 75% chance of making it.

 

It would be a tough feat considering Olimpia have won a Concacaf League already

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

Good signing.  Not very offensive, but strong on the air.

Offensive as in scoring?? Or offensive as in your usual ESPN soccer loud mouth??  😉 Either way, glad to see him on board with the CPL.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Note to the CPL Standings algorithm, CPL writers and OneSoccer commentators :

Cavalry are currently in first place. Not second. They have a game in hand on Forge so that puts them ahead. Yes, goal differential would otherwise place them second but only if they were even on games played. Or had played more games actually. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CanSuffer said:

Note to the CPL Standings algorithm, CPL writers and OneSoccer commentators :

Cavalry are currently in first place. Not second. They have a game in hand on Forge so that puts them ahead. Yes, goal differential would otherwise place them second but only if they were even on games played. Or had played more games actually. 

"Games played" is not one of the criteria for determining the current standings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Lofty said:

"Games played" is not one of the criteria for determining the current standings.

It may not be in the list of tie breakers, but that is presumably because it is assuming the season is complete and/or that the number of games is equal. 

It makes no sense to say that Forge is ahead when Cavalry could leapfrog them with their make-up game. Ask Wheeldon Jr. if Cavalry are behind. Ask Smirniotis if Forge are ahead. Baseball makes it explicit with GBL Games Behind Leader (and because baseball games can't end up tied).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, CanSuffer said:

It may not be in the list of tie breakers, but that is presumably because it is assuming the season is complete and/or that the number of games is equal. 

It makes no sense to say that Forge is ahead when Cavalry could leapfrog them with their make-up game. Ask Wheeldon Jr. if Cavalry are behind. Ask Smirniotis if Forge are ahead. Baseball makes it explicit with GBL Games Behind Leader (and because baseball games can't end up tied).

So does that mean if 2nd place has a game in hand are within 3 points (for example, 2 points back), they should actually be called first place? If Cavalry were to lose their next game, in your scenario Cavalry would go from first to second and Forge from second to first, even though Forge didn't play a game. Is that really any better? And yes, I know that with the GD tie breaker in the system you are opposed to, a team can move into first place without playing a game as well.

No league gives a team hypothetical points for a game in hand. At most you say Forge are in first via a tiebreaker, but Cavalry have a game in hand.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, CanSuffer said:

It may not be in the list of tie breakers, but that is presumably because it is assuming the season is complete and/or that the number of games is equal. 

It makes no sense to say that Forge is ahead when Cavalry could leapfrog them with their make-up game. Ask Wheeldon Jr. if Cavalry are behind. Ask Smirniotis if Forge are ahead. Baseball makes it explicit with GBL Games Behind Leader (and because baseball games can't end up tied).

You could tell from the first post you were a baseball fan trying to make something fit that simply does not. 

Nowhere in the world are standings in football set out by % wins, ever. We are smart enough to figure things out and don't need what you are proposing, which is ridiculous: a points table with teams with lower points on top? Please no.

I've never seen a league with more than 3 games difference, except MLS of course which is the absolute worse and they do help by putting points per game totals so you can compensate their poor scheduling policy--which having this "****" playoffs, as Ibra says quite rightly, you need to give some emotion to an otherwise meaningless regular season table.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...