CPL General

3 hours ago, Lofty said:

Brief article on TSN about Forge's win over Antigua in CL.

May I suggest that everybody looks at it to increment the CPL hits and thus show interest in the league:

https://www.tsn.ca/forge-fc-beats-antigua-gfc-in-first-leg-of-concacaf-league-match-1.1345654

Thank heavens that it turns out Hamilton is the true centre of the universe. :)

2 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Off topic, but did any other old timers stay up to watch the game last night?? Because the feed in manitoba stayed on x-games long after the guide said it should be soccer and grumpy old man went to bed, thanks again TSN.  

It did come on eventually, but I missed the crucial moment on my PVR despite adding the additional obligatory extra 30 minutes for Canadian soccer. Should have gone with my gut and added the full hour.

6 hours ago, Lofty said:

Brief article on TSN about Forge's win over Antigua in CL.

May I suggest that everybody looks at it to increment the CPL hits and thus show interest in the league:

https://www.tsn.ca/forge-fc-beats-antigua-gfc-in-first-leg-of-concacaf-league-match-1.1345654

Thanks for the link. Yeah, in general we need to do as much of this (reading main-stream media CPL articles) as we can.

1 hour ago, Macksam said:

Let's please stabilize the men's league first before we consider subsidizing losses for a women's league. My guess, 10-15 years is about right. 

I would like to think it'd be much closer to 10 years than 15 and I am sure they are thinking sooner than that.

I would like to see them launch a HFX Wanderers ladies, for example, than a brand new franchise or even a different name.

Get everything under a single umbrella. Have them wear the same jerseys and play in the same venues, that way half the work is already done.

You could even run the same schedule and just run double headers. Have away teams on the same flights. It would be a very cool and unique set up, not to mention practical in keeping down costs.

And they can raise funds with the same open tryouts strategy.

We are still waiting on teams/investors in Sask and Quebec.  And not all the teams we have are drawing what they should. I can see why Rollins would want to "break some news"  but jeepers the job of getting the CPL off the ground isnt done yet.  

54 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I would like to think it'd be much closer to 10 years than 15 and I am sure they are thinking sooner than that.

I would like to see them launch a HFX Wanderers ladies, for example, than a brand new franchise or even a different name.

Get everything under a single umbrella. Have them wear the same jerseys and play in the same venues, that way half the work is already done.

You could even run the same schedule and just run double headers. Have away teams on the same flights. It would be a very cool and unique set up, not to mention practical in keeping down costs.

Could also be a way to get the MLS owners involved in the CPL family 

8 hours ago, Reign said:

I just don’t see any money in a women’s league right now. Anyone willing to buy into one is surely going to lose money. 

They've got to go through the motions on a women's league given how CSB works where both the CMNT and CWNT are concerned. Buying L1O makes more sense now, because the L1O women's league allows them to claim that they have a direct involvement in women's soccer.

14 hours ago, Obinna said:

I actually really like this idea. Double-header men's & women's matches, but vary up so sometimes one is first, and sometimes the other.

The L1OW, together with the PLSQF, has been a fantastic step for women's soccer. I look forward to seeing some further expansion of women's leagues across the country, and perhaps even at a D2 & D1 level.

15 hours ago, Obinna said:

I'd like to see that too but I don't think that would fly in North America.  Calling a team the men's team name followed by "ladies" is surely to cause a social media shit storm.  

For the quality likely to be on display I think you could get 1,000 - 2,000 fans a game for most of the current cities.  Which is very low but at the same time I also imagine our women's league having a ton of 16-19 year olds, more so than the men's league.  With that in mind the league could look to set up a structure similar to the CHL where these women can earn an education and keep costs low for the teams.  Or perhaps the league doesn't go fully-professional and allows these girls to maintain their NCAA eligibility... that may be the way to go because you attract higher level talent and keep costs lower.

1 hour ago, CanadaFan123 said:

I'd like to see that too but I don't think that would fly in North America.  Calling a team the men's team name followed by "ladies" is surely to cause a social media **** storm.  

For the quality likely to be on display I think you could get 1,000 - 2,000 fans a game for most of the current cities.  Which is very low but at the same time I also imagine our women's league having a ton of 16-19 year olds, more so than the men's league.  With that in mind the league could look to set up a structure similar to the CHL where these women can earn an education and keep costs low for the teams.  Or perhaps the league doesn't go fully-professional and allows these girls to maintain their NCAA eligibility... that may be the way to go because you attract higher level talent and keep costs lower.

Yeah I hear ya, but they don't even have to officially call them the *insert team name* ladies. It should be self explanatory they are female.

Agreed on your predicted attendance and if they can schedule games as double headers, it should help those attendance numbers, and perhaps for the men it would help too.

2 hours ago, Stanley said:

Whitecaps used to run doubleheaders and alternate with the men and women at times. Didn't look good when half the stadium left after the men's game ended when they played first.

It is what it is.

People are busy and need to be selective on how they allocate their free time.

Huge win for Forge and the league. Honestly anything they do from here is a bonus. They showed that this league can compete with the Central Americans right off the bat. I don’t expect them to qualify for the CCL but we’ll see. 

13 minutes ago, canta15 said:

Huge win for Forge and the league. Honestly anything they do from here is a bonus. They showed that this league can compete with the Central Americans right off the bat. I don’t expect them to qualify for the CCL but we’ll see. 

If they can upset Olimpia they essentially have a 75% chance of making it.

1 hour ago, narduch said:

If they can upset Olimpia they essentially have a 75% chance of making it.

It would be a tough feat considering Olimpia have won a Concacaf League already