CPL General

4 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

MLS rules are so murky.  Are the CDN kids from US/CDN colleges automatically domestic?  How about someone like Borges who was in Europe? Edwards was still considered an INT with Chicago and got dropped because of it.  Its a very simple fix and MLS wont do it, all CDN should be domestic league wide.

But Edwards and Borges aren't homegrown players. The guys growing up in MLS academies, at least provided they don't leave and sign their first pro contract elsewhere, DO count as domestics. And I think those are the players we were just discussing MLS teams not doing enough to develop.

I do agree that the rule is still stupid, and it's not clear at all (in particular, the mysterious approved development clubs, or whatever they are called), but the rules around Canadians as domestics aren't why an Aiden Daniels or Julian Dunn don't get playing time with their MLS team. It's actually got me thinking that the 23 player rosters in the CPL are good. Why spend money to employ players you aren't going to use? It's not good for anybody.

1 hour ago, Kent said:

The bold part I don't think is a valid excuse anymore. The way the rules are now (for the last couple years), Canadian players you bring up through your academy are domestic league wide.

I don't know exactly why the Canadian numbers are low, mostly the low quota I assume. At a club like TFC the fact that the coaching staff, GM, and President are all American might play a role. I'm sure there is still a bias, even if it is unconscious, that people are sceptical of Canadian players ability. A Canadian has to prove themselves, while players from elsewhere are given the benefit of the doubt (to a degree of course. If they are terrible, eventually they will be found out. Like Boyd doesn't see the field for TFC anymore).

Sorry I disagree completely. The rule is convoluted and still discriminatory 

4 minutes ago, Kent said:

But Edwards and Borges aren't homegrown players. The guys growing up in MLS academies, at least provided they don't leave and sign their first pro contract elsewhere, DO count as domestics. And I think those are the players we were just discussing MLS teams not doing enough to develop.

You responded to narduch saying the league discriminates against CDNs.  Not just CDN kids already in MLS academies.  To MLS an american domestic isnt someone who came up through MLS, its any american, even a green card foreinger who played 10 years in italy is a domestic.  But only certain CDN might qualify if the right conditions are met?? Its horseshit and everyone knows it.  Any young kid out of the CPL wont be domestic, they signed first contract outside of MLS.  The MLS academies can use that discrimination as a tool to get better kids with them as opposed to the CPL, knowing the down the line it'll be easier for them to get to MLS if they come through MLS acadmies/get homegrown status.  

9 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

The MLS academies can use that discrimination as a tool to get better kids with them as opposed to the CPL, knowing the down the line it'll be easier for them to get to MLS if they come through MLS acadmies/get homegrown status.  

Another reason why the 3 MLS clubs aren't crying foul over the discrimination, it benefits them while allowing to double dip.

They either attract stronger prospects in their academies or just acquire top CPL prospects that counts as domestic on their teams only. They get the best of both world.

***And they still retain the ability to compete against US based teams for American talents and count them as domestics.

That's triple-dipping in my book

Edited by Ansem

2 hours ago, Bison44 said:

You responded to narduch saying the league discriminates against CDNs.  Not just CDN kids already in MLS academies.  To MLS an american domestic isnt someone who came up through MLS, its any american, even a green card foreinger who played 10 years in italy is a domestic.  But only certain CDN might qualify if the right conditions are met?? Its horseshit and everyone knows it.  Any young kid out of the CPL wont be domestic, they signed first contract outside of MLS.  The MLS academies can use that discrimination as a tool to get better kids with them as opposed to the CPL, knowing the down the line it'll be easier for them to get to MLS if they come through MLS acadmies/get homegrown status.  

Narduch said the following.

"The Academies aren't the problem, per se.

The problem is that the 3 Canadian MLS clubs aren't graduating enough Canadian into real first team roles. And this happens because the domestic quota is too low and league discriminates against Canadians."

When he said MLS clubs aren't graduating enough Canadians, I took that to mean graduating players from the academies. It's not like you graduate a player from a different league into your team. So in the context it looks to me like he was saying the academies aren't necessarily doing a bad job, but the first team isn't giving them opportunities, and one of the reasons is because of how the league discriminates against Canadians.

I also hate the rule, but I don't think it is a reason (anymore) why players in the academy are not getting into the first teams.

Edited by Kent

The league DISCRIMINATES AGAINST CDN, the fact that they have made some convoluted rules to allow MORE CDN to be domestics is nothing to brag about.  It would be so simple just to clear all the BS rules and say all CDN are domestic.  Ansems point about the MLS clubs not squawking because they are triple dipping is priceless.  

23 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Edwards was still considered an INT with Chicago and got dropped because of it.

Edwards has had a number of chances. Being an INT doesn't seem to have hampered his ability to get opportunities, it's sticking on the roster that's been his problem.

For anyone who wants to read the MLS roster rules, they're right here: https://www.mlssoccer.com/league/official-rules/mls-roster-rules-and-regulations

Not sure what it has to do with CPL, however.

37 minutes ago, RS said:

Edwards has had a number of chances. Being an INT doesn't seem to have hampered his ability to get opportunities, it's sticking on the roster that's been his problem.

For anyone who wants to read the MLS roster rules, they're right here: https://www.mlssoccer.com/league/official-rules/mls-roster-rules-and-regulations

Not sure what it has to do with CPL, however.

He got dropped from the roster to make room for another INT.  If he was a domestic with Chicago then mb they would have kept him.  The gist of this was complaining that MLS doesnt bring enough youngsters through (of any nationality) and that CPL should help with the CDN side of that.  Our domestic quota puts a premium on being CDN and actually mandates that you have to play youngsters (although a tiny fraction of minutes).  

Larson highlights

Players salary cap under 1 million

Venues are main stumbling block, interest is out there, Missisauga, lower mainland, Saskatoon mentioned

Dissapointed in a certain broadcaster, but wouldnt slag anyone/burn bridges, in case there are different arrangements in the future

Not worried about low attendance, York/Pacific looking long term

Wants to grow roster  to account for injuries (23+)

Academies might be too expensive for CPL for what you get out of it/more cost effective to use L1O, quebec league etc

Edited by Bison44

1 hour ago, Bison44 said:

Larson highlights

Players salary cap under 1 million

Venues are main stumbling block, interest is out there, Missisauga, lower mainland, Saskatoon mentioned

Dissapointed in a certain broadcaster, but wouldnt slag anyone/burn bridges, in case there are different arrangements in the future

Not worried about low attendance, York/Pacific looking long term

Wants to grow roster  to account for injuries (23+)

Academies might be too expensive for CPL for what you get out of it/more cost effective to use L1O, quebec league etc

I get this, but at the same time I am kind of liking the small rosters. MLS teams tend to have half a dozen guys that just rot and never get any playing time. I like that CPL teams don't have that deadwood. It makes it so that if you are offered a contract, you can be pretty much assured you will get chances to play.

https://canpl.ca/article/commemorating-cpl-a-list-of-historic-1sts-in-2019-so-far

"There were many, many historic moments in this matchup between two fast foes, though the Telfer goal will likely be regarded as the most iconic. For those roughly 18,000 or so who watched the game live, and the over 1 million watching on CBC or OneSoccer, this match kicked off a series of historic moments which followed."

I feel like this is new information. Was it known that there were more than 1 million viewers of the inaugural game?

1 hour ago, Kent said:

https://canpl.ca/article/commemorating-cpl-a-list-of-historic-1sts-in-2019-so-far

"There were many, many historic moments in this matchup between two fast foes, though the Telfer goal will likely be regarded as the most iconic. For those roughly 18,000 or so who watched the game live, and the over 1 million watching on CBC or OneSoccer, this match kicked off a series of historic moments which followed."

I feel like this is new information. Was it known that there were more than 1 million viewers of the inaugural game?

More viewers than TFC on that day?

Made my day!

But USL is a better gig for the Fury... This could have been them. My god I feel sorry for the Ottawa fans

All jokes aside.. that explains the noticeable increase in sponsors over the weeks

Edited by Ansem

27 minutes ago, CanSuffer said:

CPL competitive against USL team? Check.

CPL competitive against MLS teams? Check.

CPL competitive against Guatemalan league? Check.

Okay, who wants to take us on next?  !!! 8D

Hopefully in a week we will know that the Honduran league is next!

59 minutes ago, CanSuffer said:

CPL competitive against USL team? Check.

CPL competitive against MLS teams? Check.

CPL competitive against Guatemalan league? Check.

Okay, who wants to take us on next?  !!! 8D

Say what you want about one-off results, but that really is an impressive list for a first year league. I am sure people could not-pick a few things but overall this has been an amazing year one to date. 

2 hours ago, Kent said:

Alright, who kept hitting F5 on OneSoccer?

13 hours ago, Kent said:

One million is incredible, but it leads me to ask why this is the first we've heard of it. A brand new league pulls in a million viewers, and it's not being shouted from the rooftops as soon as the ratings come in?

It's a great story that needs to be told by the league's PR arm as soon as it happens, not as a throw-away line in a column on the league website four months later.

Given how great a job the league did at building the hype for that inaugural game (which is reflected in this rating), it's a bit disappointing that they didn't take this low-hanging fruit and run with it as far as it would take them. 

The 1 million number is more likely total viewers rather than average. Hard to see 1 million watching on an early Saturday afternoon (morning in the West) - only playoffs in NHL/CFL/NFL and certain Jays games when good get 1M+ at the 1pm slot.

Counter is that it was nicely promoted on NHL playoffs and CBC does have the widest reach. People could have been driven by curiousity if flipping channels - would have taken at least 15 mins (enough to qualify for average figure) for the casual sports fan to figure out who was playing.

25 minutes ago, red card said:

The 1 million number is more likely total viewers rather than average. Hard to see 1 million watching on an early Saturday afternoon (morning in the West) - only playoffs in NHL/CFL/NFL and certain Jays games when good get 1M+ at the 1pm slot.

Counter is that it was nicely promoted on NHL playoffs and CBC does have the widest reach. People could have been driven by curiousity if flipping channels - would have taken at least 15 mins (enough to qualify for average figure) for the casual sports fan to figure out who was playing.

I’ve no doubt it’s the total number, but it’s still massive for a league’s inaugural match. CPL needed to run with that hype.

32 minutes ago, Lofty said:

Brief article on TSN about Forge's win over Antigua in CL.

May I suggest that everybody looks at it to increment the CPL hits and thus show interest in the league:

https://www.tsn.ca/forge-fc-beats-antigua-gfc-in-first-leg-of-concacaf-league-match-1.1345654

I think TSN must have paid for that article by the word.  The exact minimum of info reading like a 4th graders book report...."treasure island is about an island.  The island has treasure and there are pirates....thank you"

Off topic, but did any other old timers stay up to watch the game last night?? Because the feed in manitoba stayed on x-games long after the guide said it should be soccer and grumpy old man went to bed, thanks again TSN.