CPL General

2 hours ago, xabuep2 said:

Cavalry won the Spring Season and therefore are qualified for the CPL final. What is special about also winning the Fall season for them? Do you think this format is good? Would you modify something?

Whats special : prestige and being the first club to win both spring and fall in a year would be special. 

Format : Yes, I think its good and a competitive format and like a championship final. Would like semi finals as well, maybe next year.

15 hours ago, Lofty said:

Agreed. It is definitely inconsistent of the league to say "no play offs" and then use this format. However, with this format, a play off does make sense: two champions playing off to determine who is THE Champion.

It is not like the typical North American losers playoff, where teams who have been beaten over a lengthy regular season suddenly have the chance to be "champions" by winning a much shorter knock out competition, thus totally devaluing the much longer "regular" season.

I have no issue with the two champions playing off but I would then have a rule that if one side wins both seasons they are declared champion

5 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

Diminishing the importance of hundreds of regular season games  seems like terrible business to me

How does it diminish the importance of hundreds of regular season games?  You are playing to win the spring or the fall  (or both) or to be the 2nd best team overall if one team wins both.

I don't think fans are going to stop going to regular season games because the team that won spring and fall has to play  the second best team in a championship.  

I'm the wrong guy to argue with this about though:  I love knockouts of all kinds-the NCAA tournament, the World Cup, Champion's League, the NBA Playoffs, the Voyageurs Cup.  The EPL season wows me with its fantastic soccer but ultimately bores me with its regular season Champion (though I love relegation).  Half the time some high spending team has it all sewn up with weeks to go.

I know the soccer purists hate playoffs but I think there are plenty of CanPL fans, maybe even a majority, who love soccer and playoffs, and can't wait for the possibility of a championship home and home.

21 hours ago, Shortdutchcanuck said:

How does it diminish the importance of hundreds of regular season games?

Since you can be the best team throughout the regular season and still not win the title, not win entrance to continental play, and not receive any prize money, would that not indicate diminished importance?

6 hours ago, Lofty said:

Well, the number of people who pay to watch English football both live and on TV would seem to put you in a small minority.

That is how it works in most of the football world where the sport is quite popular. Cup competitions provide the "sudden death" drama you crave, so in football you can have your cake and eat it too. Without the need for play offs.

Believe me I know I'm in the minority.

But I generally attribute the popularity of EPL to the simple fact that soccer is an incredible sport and EPL is one of the best leagues.  I've just always assumed most soccer fans in traditional soccer countries like the crap format with no playoffs because they don't know any better 😉  And that as incredibly popular as EPL is, if they added playoffs and gave the idea a chance, it would be ten times better and grow more popular still.

This is sacrilege, I know, but it illustrates the difficulty of convincing North Americans to adopt European traditions.  Which is exactly why I think MLS made the right decision going with playoffs.

3 hours ago, Lofty said:

I'm not sure there is a right or wrong.

I think that in European football, the journey is appreciated far more than in North America, so that play off "candy" is not needed.

There is also the romance of the cup(s) which are essentially playoffs.  As the leagues have become international this has waned some and old school fans complain about weakened sides in them.  But it is still for many, an emotional even semi-hallowed experience: they sign a hymn before the FA cup after all.  There are significant minority of vocal supporters of my club that would take relegation to win a cup again.  

1 hour ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Makes more sense in logistical terms than trying to have two coast-to-coast national divisions.

Ugh. I mean, I understand why, but ugh... Loving the single table, and hoped to one day see it along with a balanced schedule. Looks like that might not be in the long-term plans of the league, sadly.

30 minutes ago, Sébastien said:

Ugh. I mean, I understand why, but ugh... Loving the single table, and hoped to one day see it along with a balanced schedule. Looks like that might not be in the long-term plans of the league, sadly.

I see it as a very reasonable way to structure a D2 when it appears, but I want CPL1 to always be national in scope. 

Perhaps they could do it in a way where you still play teams from the other conference but twice a year.

So for example you have 7 teams per conference.  You play 4 times against teams in your conference = 24 and then 14 matches against the other conference = 38.

This would also simplify the whole issue of regional promotion/relegation.  

Edited by CanadaFan123

1 hour ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Home and away.

Are you sure about that? I thought it was a single game, but wasn’t sure who hosts.

Edit: Looks like you are correct. Fall champ to decide which leg to host.

Edited by Kent

8 hours ago, Sébastien said:

I agree, and further: the more teams you have, the less the pressure on travel. You could do a Moncton + HFX road trip. You could do Saskatoon and then Edmonton. You raise the density by regions, and the travel affects clubs less. 

Anyways, you would think our travel sponsor and the MediaPro deal would make travel a lesser evil in terms of cost. 

What does make sense, possibly, is to go to regional divisions in the period when the number of teams makes a balanced schedule hard to work. If you have 14 teams, it is clear, a 26 match season, if it is 13, you have a 24 match season, a bit short but viable. If you have 12, well maybe you have doubts about a 22 match season, it seems too little. So you do one set of home and away balanced, and another 5 games from your region of six teams, to push it up to 27 in total. Same if you have a ten team league, you cannot leave it home and away at 18 matches. But you could add home and away in your region, and that would be eight games more. And so on.

17 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

What does make sense, possibly, is to go to regional divisions in the period when the number of teams makes a balanced schedule hard to work. If you have 14 teams, it is clear, a 26 match season, if it is 13, you have a 24 match season, a bit short but viable. If you have 12, well maybe you have doubts about a 22 match season, it seems too little. So you do one set of home and away balanced, and another 5 games from your region of six teams, to push it up to 27 in total. Same if you have a ten team league, you cannot leave it home and away at 18 matches. But you could add home and away in your region, and that would be eight games more. And so on.

I very much like this idea. Using regional areas to "top up" the total number of games increases the chances of "nearby" rivalries developing, while keeping a good total for the number of matches.

2 hours ago, ted said:

By the time we have enough teams to split into regions we have enough teams to simply play each team once at home and once away so splitting is totally unnecessary. 

The point is that in the interim, when there are 10-12 teams, what sort of season do you propose? 

You do not even need divisions, you just top off schedule with regional rivals in an unbalanced schedule.

4 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

The point is that in the interim, when there are 10-12 teams, what sort of season do you propose? 

You do not even need divisions, you just top off schedule with regional rivals in an unbalanced schedule.

We can do all weekend games without needing to have this mythical "balance" of an even number of teams. For league competition a 7-team league that plays every weekend would see each team get a week off every 7th week. How is that any worse than the current schedule?

We could run that cycle twice for an 14-week week schedule for the 7 teams where every team plays home and away twice. That schedule could be extended by international breaks and a cup competition. 

8 or 9 teams and we move cup games to midweek.

10-12 teams and we reduce down to the PROPER way to run a soccer league: play every team ONE time at home and ONE time away during the season. ;)

Edited by ted
fixed math