Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Just now, RS said:

Move what cup games to midweek? Vs Cup is already midweek.

In my proposal they would be on weekends to start with as we would have the weekends available in a 7-9 team league.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We need more games period.

Cavalry will play a total of 38 games this year.  28 league + 8 V cup + 2 CPL final.

Forge comes close with 36, if they make the final.

Valour and Edmonton will finish with 30 games played.  The lowest of all pro teams in Canada. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CanadaFan123 said:

We need more games period.

Cavalry will play a total of 38 games this year.  28 league + 8 V cup + 2 CPL final.

Forge comes close with 36, if they make the final.

Valour and Edmonton will finish with 30 games played.  The lowest of all pro teams in Canada. 

 

I agree with more games.

I would add extending the number of months played too which would give sufficient rest time, most importantly...move more games to the weekends as they draw more fans than weekdays.

I mean, MLS has told Montreal they must play games at home in March like TFC did...(february due to Champions league).

CPL should start a month earlier....end of March instead of end of April. Have the games in BC and Southern Ontario as much as possible and avoid the prairies in March

Edited by Ansem

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CanadaFan123 said:

We need more games period.

Cavalry will play a total of 38 games this year.  28 league + 8 V cup + 2 CPL final.

Forge comes close with 36, if they make the final.

Valour and Edmonton will finish with 30 games played.  The lowest of all pro teams in Canada. 

 

Not unless roster size increases. Pacific barely scraped by for most of this season

Edited by Aird25

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

Not unless roster size increases. Pacific barely scraped by for most of this season

Pacific doesn't fill their roster currently. I doubt that adding more available spots would change that too much

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, deschamp86 said:

Pacific doesn't fill their roster currently. I doubt that adding more available spots would change that too much

I think they do once the two incoming players finally get their paper work done. It's a pretty good squad too. I'm glad they didn't panic after the early season injuries. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

We need more games period.

Cavalry will play a total of 38 games this year.  28 league + 8 V cup + 2 CPL final.

Forge comes close with 36, if they make the final.

Valour and Edmonton will finish with 30 games played.  The lowest of all pro teams in Canada. 

 

I'm not getting this call for more league matches.  To my mind, given the length of our playing season and participation in cup fixtures high twentys-low thirties seems to be the ceiling if we're to have a salary capped league.  Regardless of the number of teams in the league.  I love (really love) the idea of a balanced schedule but when this venture gets to 10,11, 12 teams (and it well) the scheduling is going to get awkward. 

In my perfect world match spacing would be more consistant.  I'm sure that would be part of the CPL's perfect world to but with Forge and Valour sharing venues that just adds to the difficult come high summer and into the fall.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Aird25 said:

I think they do once the two incoming players finally get their paper work done. It's a pretty good squad too. I'm glad they didn't panic after the early season injuries. 

They always seemed to be building towards next year at the minimum rather than this year. Hopefully we see their attendance go up as they are a pretty fun team to watch and play in a beautiful stadium

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/5/2019 at 11:13 PM, Cheeta said:

I'm not getting this call for more league matches.  To my mind, given the length of our playing season and participation in cup fixtures high twentys-low thirties seems to be the ceiling if we're to have a salary capped league.  Regardless of the number of teams in the league.  I love (really love) the idea of a balanced schedule but when this venture gets to 10,11, 12 teams (and it well) the scheduling is going to get awkward. 

In my perfect world match spacing would be more consistant.  I'm sure that would be part of the CPL's perfect world to but with Forge and Valour sharing venues that just adds to the difficult come high summer and into the fall.   

Agreed - how many times can you play the same six teams in one season?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Winnipeg Fury said:

 

CPL needs to look at having play-offs.  

The die-hards may not care, but the general sporting public does.

I fully expect them to increase the number of playoff teams as the league size increases. Just like MLS does. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I vote no.   

However, it may be necessary as the league grows.  You're not going to have a balanced schedule anyway once the league gets up there in team numbers so adding a small playoff tourney at season's end could be fun while extending the season a few weeks.  

Hell, could get the playoff tourney sponsored by someone.  Top 4 teams qualify.  That way you can divorce it from the league and maybe satisfy those who aren't fans of the idea.  

Just so long as the league champion is justly rewarded I'm good either way.  Entering Voyageur's Cup with the MLS teams (the CCL slot/qualifier slot if CPL ever gets one) some serious prize money, both, use your imagination. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cheeta said:

I vote no.   

However, it may be necessary as the league grows.  You're not going to have a balanced schedule anyway once the league gets up there in team numbers so adding a small playoff tourney at season's end could be fun while extending the season a few weeks.  

Hell, could get the playoff tourney sponsored by someone.  Top 4 teams qualify.  That way you can divorce it from the league and maybe satisfy those who aren't fans of the idea.  

Just so long as the league champion is justly rewarded I'm good either way.  Entering Voyageur's Cup with the MLS teams (the CCL slot/qualifier slot if CPL ever gets one) some serious prize money, both, use your imagination. 

Are you talking about the CONCACAF League spot that CPL already has?

If there was a playoff, what do people think about that single CONCACAF League spot? Should it go to the regular season champs or to the playoff champs?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a feeling that we might end up with 2 CONCACAF League spots, sooner rather than later.

It would be easy for CONCACAF to expand the tournament from 22 to 24.

I actually like the split format now (just need to be equal with some kind of shield for each seasons)

In that case

CPL champion ---> CONCACAF League round of 16

CPL finalist -->CONCACAF League round of 16 qualifiers 

* Whenever CONCACAF decides to revise the Champions league format, CPL will get their spot

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So long as the season is done by early October a two week playoff isn't too dangerous as far as weather is concerned.  Really do have to keep the league fixutes down though.  You're not playing a 36 match league season along with cup fixtures and then a couple of weeks of playoffs before late October.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, yothat2 said:

#off-topic

 

Would this be a good idea to grow the CPL brand in the states

Purchase the old NASL twitter and re-brand as another CPL highlights or an expansion franchise new account. Would gain access to 48k twitter soccer fans.

https://twitter.com/naslofficial?lang=en

To what end?  I highly doubt we are going to capture the attention of many US soccer fans.  And even if we do...?

Better to focus on growing the game and brand here in Canada.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...