CPL General

On 8/25/2019 at 4:50 PM, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

All they need to do on the roster size is allow more callups from lower level teams like they are already doing with goalkeepers.

This is what I was thinking. In particular if/when the clubs get academies. No need to have them on the roster for the full year, just some emergency call ups that get some sort of standard pay rate for the days they are with the club.

I honestly think the leagues’s average attendance could be a lot higher if it 40 of the 98 Total games weren’t on a WEEKDAY!

Even bigger reason why we need fury in the CPL. To balance the schedule and play fixtures on Friday’s and Saturday’s mostly. And also is more appealing for the fan to know where each team stands as they’ve all played the same amount of games 

9 hours ago, Blackjack15 said:

I honestly think the leagues’s average attendance could be a lot higher if it 40 of the 98 Total games weren’t on a WEEKDAY!

Even bigger reason why we need fury in the CPL. To balance the schedule and play fixtures on Friday’s and Saturday’s mostly. And also is more appealing for the fan to know where each team stands as they’ve all played the same amount of games 

I agree.

I also suspect they ended up with so many weekday games because of how many games they promised prior to Fury backing out. If, for whatever reason, we don't see expansion to 8 next season, I suspect they would trim or at least balance the games better between the two seasons (assuming that doesn't change).

12 hours ago, Blackjack15 said:

I think the opposite. Weekday games would be better.

3 hours ago, Macksam said:

I think the opposite. Weekday games would be better.

That would require a crazy cultural shift but might actually be interesting for clubs with downtown stadiums. Suburban stadiums however are a problem. Asking people to stick around after work and go to a game should be a realistic sale. Asking people to travel across town in rush hour traffic, not so much.

2 hours ago, ted said:

That would require a crazy cultural shift but might actually be interesting for clubs with downtown stadiums. Suburban stadiums however are a problem. Asking people to stick around after work and go to a game should be a realistic sale. Asking people to travel across town in rush hour traffic, not so much.

Fair enough.

Very proud of Forge and the league showing up for that tournament despite limited resources and I will post this in CPL General as well

1-CONCACAF decided to add CPL pretty late, safe to assume that roster rules & budget were already decided prior to that.

2-The league didn't know in advance how we would compete in our inaugural year against CONCACAF foes... Now they know.

3-The future CPL Champions having to juggle 3 competitions (V Cup, CL & CPL), CPL MUST give them the tools to complete through all 3, otherwise, it becomes a poisonous gift that could sabotage their chances in other competitions. 

4-Our Canadians made us SUPER PROUD, they can compete and showed a lot of heart. However, to win in Central America, you need both "experience" and "battle tested great talent". Both Owundi and Welshman were greatly missed tonight. Our Canadians are good but they need to be surrounded by better and more experience internationals.

5-Teams need bigger bench for proper rotations and more budget for better talents. Also, better scheduling from CPL would help. I know this is Canada but MLS are now forcing Montreal to play outdoor earlier, the schedule needs to be stretch out for proper rest from travelling and recovering from games, otherwise quality on the pitch drops.

6-Again, expectation exceed and I'm super proud of our league and boys... but CPL now needs to help those teams in return. CONCACAF League isn't going away, there needs to be a noticeable bump in roster size and salary cap.

7-Everyone else (CONCACAF & MLS clubs) will only get better from here and now they also have a measure of CPL. Can't take a step back by staying still and getting hammered the following years.

Your move CPL

CanPL teams can probably do without the logistical nightmare of trying to play in February when they won't have many players under contract and the climate makes it very difficult to use their stadiums. I doubt they will be going all in on this competition any time soon. The main focus should be on making things work in terms of the domestic league. They have made a reasonable start but the interest level hasn't been high enough to justify a major splurge on team budgets.

13 minutes ago, Lofty said:

Honestly, I care infinitely more about CPL than I do about the CONCACAF club competitions.

CPL needs to continue doing what is best for CPL, even if it handicaps CPL teams in the CL. We can't let the tail wag the dog.

Doing well internationally brings more sponsors, more notoriety and increases the value of the league.

It's public knowledge that it was that competition that convinced Choiniere to choose CPL over USL & Ottawa Fury. I dont doubts others considered that as well and it could convince more to come home or to accept a CPL move.

CPL knows this too. Can't throw that kind of opportunity away like MLS did the CCL until they decided to take it seriously*

*Thanks to Canadians clubs. We boosted that league's notoriety with images of Olympic Stadium being packed and TFC being the closest team to break the Mexican streak.

If you're CPL, you find a way to make it work or you repeat other's mistake. A huge step back is equally bad for the league and they know that too

Edited by Ansem

I was surprised how well Forge did. Like Smiriotis said last year most of these guys weren't even full professionals. Forge also are in a good position to take this experience, build on it, and come back stronger next year.

It will be nice for Forge or Cavalry that they will know going into the offseason that they have qualified and can add to their squad appropriately.

10 hours ago, Ansem said:

Again, expectation exceed and I'm super proud of our league and boys... but CPL now needs to help those teams in return. CONCACAF League isn't going away, there needs to be a noticeable bump in roster size and salary cap.

I disagree with your opinion.  The first goal of the league is to become stable and grow sustainably with minimal financial risk.  Chasing after CONCACAF competitions without having the home base solidified is what will get teams and the CPL in trouble.    

If you play an extra few matches in a stadium that you control, you're likely bringing in at least a couple hundred grand in additional revenue. I don't see any harm in spending that on salary to better compete. $200k could literally be the difference in beating a club like Olimpia and getting the next 2 home dates.

Edited by youllneverwalkalone

33 minutes ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

If you play an extra few matches in a stadium that you control, you're likely bringing in at least a couple hundred grand in additional revenue. I don't see any harm in spending that on salary to better compete. $200k could literally be the difference in beating a club like Olimpia and getting the next 2 home dates.

Exactly.

Put Owundi and Welshman + one extra player of a superior tier and this is a different game. Heck, they looked different up front with Choiniere. 

I'm not arguing that we go nuts. I'm saying that we aren't that far from a quarter finals in CL, we just happened to have had a tough draw with Olimpia. At that point, just NOT losing too badly gets you a Champions League berth.

Waterhouse beat Herediano last night no? How far are we from Quarterfinals and being the best 2 out of 4 losers? Most would agree that the CPL Champion having the cushion to add that 1 or 2 players would be a good return on investment 

(Extra home date for the team $$$ and a win for the league's notoriety+value).

Forge could have used better, more experienced fullbacks last night, a healthy Owundi and still having Welshman.

My point, a deeper bench allows for better rotation which saves key players for games such as this. Owundi was missed big time last night, defense was night and day from the Antigua game

Edited by Ansem

I definitely don’t think it’s time to be calling for higher salaries.  Based on the play we’ve seen the teams can compete in the CONCACAF league and that will only get better with time.  It’s been about 4 months of playing!  

Let everything grow organically and we will have multiple teams going deep in this competition in the very near future.  Book it.  Forge and Cavalry should both be in this competition next year.  I’d argue that the loser of the finals should start where forge started and the winner should start in the round of 16 proper. 

It's hard to call for higher salaries without first understanding what the salaries are. I completely agree that survival has to be the number one mandate, but... if you accept that somewhere between 50-100% of the gate revenue should be able to go to salaries (which, I think, is a fair assumption I'm happy to defend), then the cap should fall somewhere between $1-2m. If it's $700k, then it's too low. I suspect it is too low because you don't see every club maximizing their international spots. This where we need some quality to push the young players, and allow us to be competitive in continental competitions. I'd also argue that there are good players in the amateur ranks here who wouldn't move to play at the level of salary offered. I'm thinking Nick Soolsma as an example locally, but I'm sure there are many more in Ontario & Quebec (Wandrille Lefevre for example).

2 hours ago, JamboAl said:

I disagree with your opinion.  The first goal of the league is to become stable and grow sustainably with minimal financial risk.  Chasing after CONCACAF competitions without having the home base solidified is what will get teams and the CPL in trouble.    

I agree with you Jambo, building a solid foundation for the league is the most important thing right now.  However, with the distances traveled and number of games on short rest this year I don't think you need CL to make the argument to add two more roster spots (with appropriate cap increase).  

30 minutes ago, Lofty said:

What about the other six CPL clubs who do not have that extra revenue?

Do they just spend the extra $200k they don't have or do we give a competitive advantage in CPL to the team that qualifies for CL by raising their salary cap and only their cap by $200k?

Yes, they get a competitive advantages as champions. This happens the world over. Even in the communist MLS. I wouldn't say that only their cap is raised, but perhaps only they have the economic justification to spend.

If you only have seven teams you can only move as fast as your weakest links in revenue terms are willing to go or the league is likely to fold. The league will operate at the level the owners are willing to sustain and this season has shown that they don't actually need to have more than a tiny handful of the 25-50 portion of the CMNT depth chart to be able to have a reasonable standard of play with mainly domestic rosters.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

A cap is a cap, its not a floor.  So long as there isn't a huge amount of daylight between the two in this league (any league) the teams will manage.  If a leagues cap isn't too high for the most frugal teams then their cap is too low.  Its as simple as that. 

Would like to mention I think that there is a lot of daylight this year between the on-field quality of the best and worst CPL teams and that has absolutely nothing to do with the salary cap.  And I very much doubt that it likely will at anytime in the near future either.      

I'm not so interested about bringing more guys home.  If they can get work abroad, more power to them!  i am more excited about guys like Pasquotti, Ongaro, Attardo, Novak, Skublak, Campbell and next years Usports kids getting pro chances they wouldnt get anywhere else.  Bring the quality of play up (ie salary cap etc), but dont grow so fast you erode the pathway to the pros that the CPL has created.  Look at MLS and the TAM/GAM flim flam they have now, fewer and fewer teams take chances playing the kids.  

There are really only a handful of our players abroad making a living wage. If you aren't Liga 3 level, you aren't really professional. As much as I would concede that Div 4 Germany, or Div 2 Scotland/Scandinavia is more exposed to the next level, the CPL has to do a much better job than MLS at selling players on to 1st Division leagues in Europe. The most exciting thing for me is not the players coming back, but the players leaving with real professional experience under their belt. I think we have to take lower fees, sell ons, December trials, or whatever other means to be known as a league where you can launch a solid professional career. This is an area where we can compete with MLS right away, imo.