CPL General

22 hours ago, MrsC said:

speaking of points, is there somewhere that they post who won each points contest in the app?  I'd like to know if anyone I know has won.  Also, there have been almost no opportunities to redeem points as a Winnipeg fan, since the season started. Have there been more opportunities in other cities?  There were a couple of chances to redeem 5000 points for a cpl scarf, and one chance to enter for a Canada day cpl shirt, and that has been it.  I've got nearly 7000 points and I'm not sure what I am going to do with them.  There might not be any point in earning any more points.

I'm pretty sure that's been it.  I'd actually like to redeem points for something more tangible than a "chance" to win something.

On 7/15/2019 at 12:23 PM, Ansem said:

Aldo, have you noticed how teams and the league keeps adding sponsors? 

Yes, the different revenue streams must be substantial overhaul. If investors are willing to pay it, that means that they feel it's worth their while at that price

Or it's a pyramid scheme.  Which happens in sports.  Plus, so far no expansion team has paid that.

I get TSN doesnt have to fall head over heels for CPL but acting as if it doesn't exist just proves the conspiracy theories or that there is unnecessary politics at play

Instead they play ridiculous American talking head sportatainment shows yammering on about anything but sport and perpetuating American political angst and demographic stereotypes thru professional sports. They should be ashamed of themselves 

Why not instead produce a simple 30 minute magazine style show featuring all things Canadian soccer covering MLS, CPL, Canadians abroad. Do the same for Basketball or other sports

Edited by SpursFlu

10 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

Instead they play ridiculous American talking head sportatainment shows yammering on about anything but sport and perpetuating American political angst and demographic stereotypes thru professional sports. They should be ashamed of themselves 

Why not instead produce a simple 30 minute magazine style show featuring all things Canadian soccer covering MLS, CPL, Canadians abroad. Do the same for Basketball or other sports

Simple: Cost.

It costs nothing to air those American talking head shows, so they don't need to bring in big audiences. Producing original content costs money, potentially for small viewership numbers.

It sucks, but it's Business 101.

11 hours ago, Watchmen said:

It's not a conspiracy.  They don't have the rights and they don't see the value in it.  Much the same way as ESPN basically ignores the NHL.

And they probably don't see the value in producing their own show either.  Heck, Sportsnet just fired all of their soccer staff.

Speaking of ESPN, apparently they put Aparicio's goal from Wednesday on their Sportscenter top 10. Does anybody know if there is a way to view that top 10 online?

Edit: Should've googled before asking.

Edited by Kent

Like most people here, I was pleasantly surprised with the quality of play in the league when it started.

Am I the only one thinking that the play is noticeably better now than it was at the start of the season? Of course it is natural for teams in mid-season form to be playing better than at the start of the season, but the great goals from Aparicio (the long bomb), Borges (the olimpico), and Thomas (running through the defence and chipping the keeper) really brought it to light. Overall the play seems better too, at least in the games I've been watching.

Amazing win by Cavalry to put the CPL into the limelight and being able to compete with MLS teams. A win against Montreal would just be extra. 

2 hours ago, Ansem said:

That's why this league will be much better than people anticipated and at a faster rate. Untapped talent that was ignored by MLS academies and/or thrown aside.

CPL will capture the rest and they are more likely to find more gems than MLS Academies

It really goes to show you that the 3 Canadian MLS clubs have little incentive to use and develop Canadian players because the quota is too low and the league overall discriminates against Canadians (because they are internationals on US teams) 

They will probably actually do worse now that they have to compete with CPL clubs for talent. 

One professional team in all of Western Canada simply wasn't enough. Cant put full blame on the Whitecaps when realistically only 1 or 2 kids a year had a shot of making the big league. That's why this league is so important to the whole country. we've increased professional opportunities by about 900% when you factor in going from 4 pro clubs to 11, and adding to the percentage is the ratio of Canadians on CPL and USL clubs is crazy high. 

The talent funnel was always too big.  It was trying to drink from a firehouse getting 1 development team at U14 or 15 for that big of an area.  There are literally tens of thousands of kids playing competitive soccer at that level.  So many were destined to slip between the cracks and in fact more slipped through than made it.

Wait, werent the Eddies in western canada??  Rollins may be from the east but he knows the Eddies (and their academy) existed right??  Davies was with edmonton first.....Saiko, Edwards, Paul Hamilton, Porter, Smits, Cox, Farago, Boaki, Shome, etc etc all had time on the Eddies as youngsters.  Lets not get too crazy here.  Vancouver was not the only team and did not have exclusive rights to western canada the last 8 years.  Things are bad with the whitecaps, but lets not throw the baby out with the bathwater.  The fact that a Calgary with some Van acadmey kids that couldnt make MLS beat the big squad is HISTORIC....but you cant deny that those kids did spend alot of time with VAN, and they helped them along.  

4 hours ago, Ansem said:

That's why this league will be much better than people anticipated and at a faster rate. Untapped talent that was ignored by MLS academies and/or thrown aside.

CPL will capture the rest and they are more likely to find more gems than MLS Academies

This is total nonsense and someone using a bad situation to grand stand and kick sand at the Whitecaps. 

Show me a high percentage of any academy in the MLS thats turning out MLS talent. Clearly res players for the most part are used as cheap stop gaps or depth players with 4 or 5 high paid players carrying the water in the MLS. Once the res players get a certain age they're spat out and you roll the dice on the next wave

You want to rag on the Caps, dont stop there. Rag on TFC, rag on the Impacts. What's the difference? In fact, I would be surprised if there were many at all if any MLS academies who have produced more players than the Whitecaps who are currently pulling a pay cheque to play football.

Clearly certain people have a hard on for the Whitecaps so today is a good day to yank it out but it doesn't change anything. I think it's good, let the haters show themselves 

Edited by SpursFlu

18 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

This is total nonsense and someone using a bad situation to grand stand and kick sand at the Whitecaps. 

Show me a high percentage of any academy in the MLS thats turning out MLS talent. Clearly res players for the most part are used as cheap stop gaps or depth players with 4 or 5 high paid players carrying the water in the MLS. Once the res players get a certain age they're spat out and you roll the dice on the next wave

You want to rag on the Caps, dont stop there. Rag on TFC, rag on the Impacts. What's the difference? In fact, I would be surprised if there were many at all if any MLS academies who have produced more players than the Whitecaps who are currently pulling a pay cheque to play football.

Clearly certain people have a hard on for the Whitecaps so today is a good day to yank it out but it doesn't change anything. I think it's good, let the haters show themselves 

Personally, I don't care about the specifics and yes, TFC and Impact belonged there too

I care about results and this status quo since 2011 got us NOWHERE!

I don't want the status quo anymore so pointing out today's flaw should guide us to tomorrow's solution.

I'm glad CPL is here as I hope they will have enough influence to push talented players from their area so they get the proper look they deserve.

Nothing against the Caps or you, I'm just a sick and tired fan who have no patient reading about defending the status quo and doubling down on doing more of the same and expecting a different result.

Acknowledging what went wrong is the first step at fixing things and we have to wake up everyone including Soccer Canada that we have to end this lie that putting all our eggs into MLS academies and adverting them as la crème de la crème isn't real and does us a disservice collectively.

I think that was the point of his venting, we need change.

I swear to god, if I see an MLS heavy roster for the U23 Olympic qualifier and we fail to go to Tokyo, I will be this close to give up supporting the national program. I won't care anymore 

Edited by Ansem

Yes thats the point of the CPL but you can't put the cart before the horse. I remember Vic on the radio talking up CPL and he said we appreciate the MLS teams but if anything we put too much on them. So what is the statement here... solving yesterday's problems today?

My point is when the shit gets flung around it disproportionately gets thrown at the Whitecaps and I'm in no mood today

TFC spent 18 million on 3 players and were good for 3 years. We get it  great.. now pound sand. Who have you produced? Ever? Let me answer the question....... nobody

30 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

Yes thats the point of the CPL but you can't put the cart before the horse. I remember Vic on the radio talking up CPL and he said we appreciate the MLS teams but if anything we put too much on them. So what is the statement here... solving yesterday's problems today?

My point is when the **** gets flung around it disproportionately gets thrown at the Whitecaps and I'm in no mood today

TFC spent 18 million on 3 players and were good for 3 years. We get it  great.. now pound sand. Who have you produced? Ever? Let me answer the question....... nobody

It's when I read Liam Millar saying that he went to Europe because he was told by TFC that he was too "short to succeed in football soccer, *cough* Messi *cough*, than you have to wonder how many more talented guys just flat out gave up over the years.

Sure, they aren't expected to be perfect and deserve appreciation but not absolution and no way should they be above criticism regarding the way they choose to do business. Did they do their best? Sure, I'll take their word that Canadian Soccer ALWAYS came first before their interests if it pleases you but am I allow tell it like it is???

Their way, simply isn't/wasn't good enough!!!

I mean Dos Santos himself said so after the 1st leg against Cavalry. "Mistakes in player's evaluation were made" he said... ya think???? That's a good step if it helps change their methods, no?

Like his tweet said, lots of / myths /preconceived notions got exposed, and he isn't wrong. You got beat at home, on home & away series that is forgiving for stronger teams,  by a 3 months old team made of guys you rejected / badly evaluated ... and I'm supposed to ignore that?

Can we be real for 1 second?

Edited by Ansem

5 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Spurs, now your just doing to TFC what they have been doing to Whitecaps this morning..I'll just give you one name you should recognize, Doniel Henry. 

Montreal --> Maxime Crepeau, Louis Beland-Goyette and others

Edited by Ansem

4 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Spurs, now your just doing to TFC what they have been doing to Whitecaps this morning..I'll just give you one name you should recognize, Doniel Henry. 

You get what you give in life

My actual opinion is im very proud of all 3 MLS academies. I think things are just getting rolling. Whenever these academies tournaments come up I think our 3 academies always punch above our weight. And I think theyre trying to play the right way. Of course we need more outlets and the CPL will eventually provide that

Last night had nothing to do with academies or developing players. It had to do with 2 things

1) CPL and Cavalry are no joke

2) MDS, love him, but he turned over an entire team and he brought in some duds. It's that simple and he pretty much admitted it