Bad news all around on the soccer coverage front with that news. I was curious about that because he tweeted that he watched the last TFC game from the stands rather than the press box.

Sportsnet has been making a ton of layoffs lately, with even Bob McCown being let go. They had also previously let James Sharman go following the loss of their EPL coverage.

Was a little disappointed that none of our banks, Cdn Tire, Home Hardware, Petro Canada to name a few, didn't sponsor any of our teams.😞😞

Posted (edited)

This is already in the BC thread but I'm adding it here due to it's link to CPL

Interesting quotes

1-Further, CSB by their full acquisition of League One Ontario, has publicly demonstrated the importance they place on the layers below CPL environments. The decision to purchase Ontario’s tier 3 league was inspired by the need to provide OPDL (Ontario’s BCSPL equivalent) with a connective pathway to the Canadian Premier League, in the country’s most populated province with the largest player pool. Based on discussions with, Canadian Soccer Business, we understand their strategy is to have similar arrangements across Canada, which bodes well for BC Soccer as we work to establish our BC League 1. 

So...

1. Launch the league
  2. Make it functional and viable
  3. Sell it to CPL

2-Furthermore, BC Soccer is aware, based on discussion with Canada Soccer, that FIFA is trying to move its Confederations away from cross border competition which will inevitably may lead to a sanctioning issue.

Tic-toc on Canadian teams in USSF sanctioned leagues?

3-Rumored teams

Rumored clubs

• Whitecaps U23 - (Playing at University of British Columbia)
  • Vancouver 86ers (Swanguard Stadium, Burnaby)
  • Tri-Cities (Coquitlam, Port Coquitlam & Port Moody)
  • Surrey/Langley
  • TSS Rovers* (move to Richmond)
  • Victoria Highlanders*
  • Nanaimo+
  • Kamloops+Kelowna/Penticton/Okanagan+

*Pending CSA approval of Canadian Championship berth

+Unconfirmed ownership

Edited by Ansem

Well, had to know it was coming.  I still hold out hope VAR will improve to the point where we'll be looking backwards and wondering how we ever did without it but that may be a ways into the future yet.  

Never know though.  Technology changes everything practically overnight all the time.  Can see the day where the linesmen (showing my age) aren't calling offsides anymore.  Hell, they're being discouraged from calling it already.

2 hours ago, BuzzAndSting said:

I hope they do it similar to rugby. Have the referee radio a VAR official right away to get clarification and then deliver the decision.

What? You don't like watching refs stand for 3 minutes with their fingers in their ears and then make a sixty-yard run across the field to look at a TV screen?

Final standings for the spring season. Not much difference from third to last. A new player signing can make a big difference for a few of the teams next season.

1 Cavalry 10 24
WWLWL
2 Forge 10 19
WWWWL
3 Edmonton 10 14
LDWWW
4 Wanderers 10 11
WLDWL
5 Pacific 10 11
LLWLW
6 York9 10 11
WDDLW
7 Valour 10 9
WLLLL

8 minutes ago, fil said:

Final standings for the spring season. Not much difference from third to last. A new player signing can make a big difference for a few of the teams next season.

1 Cavalry 10 24
WWLWL
2 Forge 10 19
WWWWL
3 Edmonton 10 14
LDWWW
4 Wanderers 10 11
WLDWL
5 Pacific 10 11
LLWLW
6 York9 10 11
WDDLW
7 Valour 10 9
WLLLL

Or the upcoming transfer window

6 hours ago, Greatest Cockney Rip Off said:

Does anyone know what that the tie breakers in the table are?

1) points; 2) total wins; 3) goal differential; 4) goals for; 5) away goal differential; 6) away goals for; 7) home goal differential; 😎 home goals for; 9) coin toss or drawing of lots.

On 7/1/2019 at 10:27 PM, Gopherbashi said:

1) points; 2) total wins; 3) goal differential; 4) goals for; 5) away goal differential; 6) away goals for; 7) home goal differential; 😎 home goals for; 9) coin toss or drawing of lots.

Interesting. I don't recall ever seeing numbers 5 through 8 as tie breakers before. Of course 7 and 8 will never be used to break a tie, because those will also be tied if 3, 4, 5, and 6 are all tied.

2 hours ago, Kent said:

Interesting. I don't recall ever seeing numbers 5 through 8 as tie breakers before. Of course 7 and 8 will never be used to break a tie, because those will also be tied if 3, 4, 5, and 6 are all tied.

Yeah, 7 & 8 don't make any sense at all, but here we are.

If it makes you feel better, it's the same as MLS's tiebreakers, with the exception of MLS adding a fair-play tiebreaker in there.

Rules for classification: 1) points; 2) total wins; 3) total goal differential; 4) total goals scored; 5) disciplinary points; 6) away goal differential; 7) away goals scored ; 😎 home goals scored; 9) home goal differential; 10) coin toss or drawing of lots.

3 hours ago, Kent said:

The people making these rules are absolute morons. How could somebody that dumb be given that job?

Ditto for the people who are currently meddling with the rulebook. Recent handball and offside rule changes in particular are ridiculous. Football was already the hardest sport in the world to officiate and they keep making it harder. And as for kick offs that can now go backwards: yeah, having to go forwards was a MASSIVE problem, glad they got that one sorted!

20 hours ago, Lofty said:

The people making these rules are absolute morons. How could somebody that dumb be given that job?

Ditto for the people who are currently meddling with the rulebook. Recent handball and offside rule changes in particular are ridiculous. Football was already the hardest sport in the world to officiate and they keep making it harder. And as for kick offs that can now go backwards: yeah, having to go forwards was a MASSIVE problem, glad they got that one sorted!

I was with you until the last one. It wasn't a massive problem, but why not change it? Do you miss the tap forward on kick offs? Nobody misses it. 

12 minutes ago, Kent said:

I was with you until the last one. It wasn't a massive problem, but why not change it? Do you miss the tap forward on kick offs? Nobody misses it. 

I just think there are currently a lot of problems with the rules so why are they focusing energy on making a change to a rule that was not a problem? And making a change that has zero practical implications?

As for the rule itself, I actually did prefer the old rule as it did at least force an initial forward movement in a sport that often seems to sacrifice attack for defence. A very minor point I know, but it strikes me as change for the sake of change by people who don't seem to understand where the real problems lie.

So here's a random question.  On the CPL app we accrue all of these points that we can redeem for "things".  I wonder if they will have anything worthwhile to redeem soon?

16 hours ago, Stanley said:

So here's a random question.  On the CPL app we accrue all of these points that we can redeem for "things".  I wonder if they will have anything worthwhile to redeem soon?

Not if you are a neutral fan. I entered pretty much anything that did come on offer and have never won anything. There was one give away if you had a certain amount of points last month or the month before. I was 50 out before it closed. There were so many glitches on my app early on where it simply didnt register any of my article or video clicks. Its still doesn't always work. 

I know they have done team specific competitions. Annoyingly you cant enter those as a neutral either. Ironically in contrast at one soccer you have to pick a favourite team and neutral isnt an option.

Guess I cant have my cake and eat it. Hmmm cake. 

This has been my experience exactly. App freezes all the time. Points with seemingly no purpose. I am trying to support their service but it feels too much like work atm.