CPL General

On 8/17/2019 at 1:23 AM, Bison44 said:

I hope this is like the May 4th stuff with Star wars.  Tying it into a KISS concert...might make sense???  Does anyone under 50 listen to KISS??  

Obvious jokes aside, considering the CPL has already tapped into a younger demographic, the league might be doing this to go after that older CFL crowd as well. 

Edited by Macksam

4 hours ago, Macksam said:

Obvious jokes aside, considering the CPL has already tapped into a younger demographic, the league might doing this to go after that older CFL crowd as well. 

They'd be better off continuing to work on this demographic rather than the glam rock boomer crowd, IMO.

Having a league at this level not only will develop players but also exposes players . This happened when TFC came into the MLS, where Canadian some Canadian players we would always read about or even talk about on these forums,  came back from playing in various low level leagues in Europe and other parts of the world to play for TFC. We are seeing this in the CPL where some Canadian players have returned to play in the CPL. Some who have played in lower level leagues around the world are doing pretty good, but some others are having a tough time of it. The beauty of a CPL is that it puts to end any debate more or less of certain players ability to be called up to the national team. Before without the CPL player A playing in the Scottish second division or player B playing in the Swedish third division conversations would happen about players like this being called up to the national team. However, as we have seen back in the early TFC days and now in the CPL just because you played in some of these lower leagues in Europe does not guarantee success in a league like the CPL. Moreover, we are seeing players who have never even set foot in any European league excelling in the CPL over Canadian player who have played in lower level European leagues.

Random question: when the CPL eventually hits 12 and later 16 teams, how many matches in a given season are we expecting (full campaign, not factoring in A/C split)? I was musing about some figures the other day and realized I have no idea how the number of matches would be calculated (never been great with keeping tournament formats straight). I imagine for 12 it'd be something like playing each other team three times for a 33 game season, then for 16 playing each other team twice for a 30 game season so things aren't unwieldy? Or am I out to lunch? 

2 minutes ago, m-g-williams said:

Random question: when the CPL eventually hits 12 and later 16 teams, how many matches in a given season are we expecting (full campaign, not factoring in A/C split)? I was musing about some figures the other day and realized I have no idea how the number of matches would be calculated (never been great with keeping tournament formats straight). I imagine for 12 it'd be something like playing each other team three times for a 33 game season, then for 16 playing each other team twice for a 30 game season so things aren't unwieldy? Or am I out to lunch? 

That seems to make sense unless they decide against a single table format, or go with the MLS formula of overdoing rivalries

4 hours ago, SoccMan said:

Having a league at this level not only will develop players but also exposes players . This happened when TFC came into the MLS, where Canadian some Canadian players we would always read about or even talk about on these forums,  came back from playing in various low level leagues in Europe and other parts of the world to play for TFC...

Some people could never get their heads around the likes of Reda and Pozniak not being good enough for TFC so it all became one big anti-Canadian conspiracy in their minds, because that was more emotionally palatable for them.

56 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Some people could never get their heads around the likes of Reda and Pozniak not being good enough for TFC so it all became one big anti-Canadian conspiracy in their minds, because that was more emotionally palatable for them.

I remember Reda and Braz certainly not being good enough. I had always thought Pozniak was a useful player for them as he could play multiple positions. He probably would have stuck around longer had Chivas not claimed him in waiver draft

Edited by deschamp86

1 hour ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

I think a lot more people saw through Mo Johnston's b.s.  He basically used this as an excuse to have the Canadian quotas drastically reduced. 

We've seen with the CPL that the MLS rules are horseshit.  

Just an fyi. Yesterday MDS and Jeff Mallet were on the radio here in Vancouver for a couple hours taking questions from fans. It's part of the annual Presidents Week. I sent in a diplomatic question regarding the CPL but I'm thinking they received a lot of CPL questions because the host eventually gave in and angrily read an message from someone saying if there was a CPL team here he would immediately ditch the Caps for that team. The host said the Caps at Swanguard was bush league and scoffed but to his credit Blake Price spoke up and said what he has seen of CPL has been impressive and is superior to the A league days.

Caps people didn't comment but also in the press conference announcing the restructure last week, one of the first things Lenarduzzi mentioned about his new role as liaison was to build a relationship with the CPL. I thought that was interesting

4 hours ago, deschamp86 said:

That seems to make sense unless they decide against a single table format, or go with the MLS formula of overdoing rivalries

Ok, I'm glad I'm not totally off base. I would hope they'd keep it a single table, but maybe that makes too much sense. 

I was pondering the other day about what sorts of stats I'd like to see for the league by 2026 (salary cap, attendance, etc.) and just blanked when it came to tallying the number of games in a season. 

13 hours ago, m-g-williams said:

Random question: when the CPL eventually hits 12 and later 16 teams, how many matches in a given season are we expecting (full campaign, not factoring in A/C split)?

You do realize that we only have the A/C split because they were trying to have a more "natural" selection for the CONCACAF LEague spot and they wanted a way to pretend that a 7-team league could be competitive when playing teams multiple times home and away?

As soon as possible I hope and pray they come to their senses and make the league simple one-table, home and away. IF they want to add extra games, add a league cup competition that plays through the summer and finishes with the league cup final on Thanksgiving weekend.

3 minutes ago, ted said:

As soon as possible I hope and pray they come to their senses and make the league simple one-table, home and away. IF they want to add extra games, add a league cup competition that plays through the summer and finishes with the league cup final on Thanksgiving weekend.

Interesting ideas all around 

6 hours ago, ted said:

You do realize that we only have the A/C split because they were trying to have a more "natural" selection for the CONCACAF LEague spot and they wanted a way to pretend that a 7-team league could be competitive when playing teams multiple times home and away?

I'm pretty sure I admitted my ignorance on competition format/game calculation up front. But thanks for reminding me . . . I guess. ;)

I'd also like to see a single season, one table, home-and away set-up. As for extra games, I could see a short play-off series being done once we get to 12-16 teams (maybe the top six or eight teams in a single-elimination format?). My only qualification on that would be weather. If we continue to have the season run through late October, it'd be getting pretty chilly by the time a play-off series finished and a champion was crowned. 

2 hours ago, m-g-williams said:

I'm pretty sure I admitted my ignorance on competition format/game calculation up front. But thanks for reminding me . . . I guess. ;)

I'd also like to see a single season, one table, home-and away set-up. As for extra games, I could see a short play-off series being done once we get to 12-16 teams (maybe the top six or eight teams in a single-elimination format?). My only qualification on that would be weather. If we continue to have the season run through late October, it'd be getting pretty chilly by the time a play-off series finished and a champion was crowned. 

I was doing some research recently and found an interesting playoff format used in NL & NS: "page" playoffs.

Top-4 on the table advance to playoffs.

Match 1: #1 vs #2

Match 2: #3 vs #4

Match 3: Loser Match 1 vs Winner Match 2

Final: Winner Match 1 vs Winner Match 3

I've never really seen this before, but it's definitely a more interesting playoff format than a regular single-elimination tournament. If they deem playoffs a necessity, I think this could actually be an interesting one to implement.

Heck, you could even still have Apertura/Clausura.  Winner of Apertura & Clausura qualify, plus the (next) top 2 (or 3) on the overall. Seeding based on the overall.

Are there any 1st division leagues that use this format? How does it play out?

East Coasters, how well does it seem to work in the NSSL (7-teams) & for Newfoundland's Challenge Trophy (5-teams)?

Other thoughts on this (strange to me) format?

2 hours ago, Rintaran said:

I was doing some research recently and found an interesting playoff format used in NL & NS: "page" playoffs.

Top-4 on the table advance to playoffs.

Match 1: #1 vs #2

Match 2: #3 vs #4

Match 3: Loser Match 1 vs Winner Loser Match 2

Final: Winner Match 1 vs Winner Match 3

Fixed that for you. ;)

That is the same format used for the Challenge Cup that closes the Pacific Coast League Season here in BC. Not D1 I know, but just showing it is a pretty common.

I'm hoping for an 8th team for next year because the scheduling would be so mathematically satisfying. Two equal spring and fall seasons of 14 match days each, home and away against each opponent. No need for byes, which are a major cause of the fixture congestion some teams have dealt with.

Of course, the scheduling necessarily gets messy and unbalanced again with more teams beyond that until you get to 16, but I guess that's the price you pay for a growing league.