CPL General

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Apps and sites giving life info and updates are now directly tied to betting activity. I was not so direct even 10 years ago, now it is.

If a line is being given on a result, you need the result. If you are getting odds on when goals are scored, you need live live updates. If it is on who scores, you need full line-ups and changes as well. 

I have no idea if Canadians bet on CPL, but some here have posted about Canadian betting activity being high, I have no idea. Which would suggest that it may garner interest from betting agencies and that will drive better quality update sites and apps. 

If people were betting on (and fixing) the obscure CSL semi-pro league then someone must be betting on CPL. 

Back in my betting days, their were online betting on weirder things. Reality TV shows, award shows, I made a nice sum on the UFC when very few knew what it was. Bet on Jeremy Horn vs Takase on the undercard back in 1999? which was easy money for me.

1 minute ago, Lofty said:

Pretty sure that is USD. Best to buy through a CPL club though, as they then get a cut of the profit.

Oh, absolutely. When I finally get around to buying the Valour away, I'll do it at the Bomber store. But an option for some people, and some jerseys (Valour away, for example) don't appear to be available online anywhere else.

On 5/16/2019 at 6:15 PM, Lofty said:

Actually, it was almost 16,000 fans for the first two home games.

That's the mistake you focus on? This one is pretty bad.

"Valour FC might not have to wait long to see how they stack up against the MLS, as they are one of three CPL teams that will play in the 2019 Canadian Championship."

I assume the writer was getting mixed up between the Canadian Championship and the "privileged 3 CPL teams that have a shot at the 2019 CONCACAF League Championship"

18 hours ago, Lofty said:

I couldn't read the article because I don't have a subscription and don't want one. However, they did show me the first paragraph or so, which is where that mistake appeared.

Weird. I don’t have a subscription and I was able to read the whole article.

Cavalry with a significantly lead after four wins. Spring season almost locked up already...

Spring Season

Pos.

P
Pts
Form
1 Cavalry 4 12
WWWW
2 Forge 5 7
DLWLW
3 Valour 5 6
WLLWL
4 Pacific 5 5
WLLDD
5 Edmonton 3 4
WDL
6 Wanderers 3 3
LWL
7 York9 3 2
DLD

11 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Glad I don't have Kurt Larson's job today, because spinning this one is going to be interesting.  

Tough indeed, and a bit disappointing. That said, I suspect Herdman hasn't seen enough of the top CPL options. Guys like Haber have already been around the national team and probably aren't reasonable options anymore. Some of the CPL standouts, like Langwa from Halifax (picking one I know) have only played 4 games and probably don't have a track-record to justify a call up.

The league attracted few senior pros. Its Canadians were drawn from young and journeyman players from low level North American leagues and guys from the amateur ranks. Each team has played, what, five games? What do people expect?

This shouldn’t be a surprise guys.

plus, it’s best if those guys stay and actually play in the league rather than ride the pine only to make their clubs go without.

Edited by The Real Marc

2 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Think at least one of the starting goalkeepers in CanPL should have done enough so far to sneak in there ahead of the likes of Alessandro Busti or James Pantemis given a player with basically zero first team experience is unlikely to ever see the field in a competition like the Gold Cup.

Not really any point ripping them away from the CPL team and missing games when they won't make the 23. I'd rather see Ingham or Carducci playing in the CPL than just going to train just to get cut. Most of the GK's seasons are done and they are free to come. Pantemis isn't playing and is the most suspect call (I think we could have put someone better in, an outfield player tbh) but if the potential is there in complete contrast to the CPL guys, if he isn't getting games why not have him in the squad for experience.

You have to remember that there are a lot of countries out there where most of the time their national teams have  almost no one from their domestic leagues on their rosters. We are talking about domestic leagues that have been around for ages. Therefore, the CPL which just started a few weeks ago not having any players on the national team means nothing . Actually an ideal situation would be that one day all our players come from the top 5 leagues in Europe or at least a starting 11. 

Edited by SoccMan

Realistically, if this was at a different time, a few CPL players would probably be called into the 40 man roster.

But for the same reason Okello is there and Chapman is not, TFC wants to keep some guys to play. I think for the CPL teams, even if it was for only a few days to a week of training, no one can really afford to lose guys in early June. If the roster depth and such was not so thin, there are certainly a few players who would be worth a look. 

Edit:

Looking at the keepers specifically. Busti and Pantemis are both prospects, and given their current playing time, basically any Canadian CPL starter should be ahead of them, but Ingham, Carducci, Village, etc. are invaluable to their teams, and they won't make the roster, so no point taking them. 

Edited by ktf

10 hours ago, SoccMan said:

You have to remember that there are a lot of countries out there where most of the time their national teams have  almost no one from their domestic leagues on their rosters...

True, but it's worth bearing in mind that 18 out of 40 are signed with clubs in a domestic pro league that operates in Canada with 12 of those on teams that are actually based in Canada. It shouldn't be hugely surprising to anyone that this happened but it runs counter to a lot of the rhetoric that has surrounded the emergence of this league.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

1 hour ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

True, but it's worth bearing in mind that 18 out of 40 are signed with clubs in a domestic pro league that operates in Canada with 12 of those on teams that are actually based in Canada. It shouldn't be hugely surprising to anyone that this happened but it runs counter to a lot of the rhetoric that has surrounded the emergence of this league.

Obviously it would have been better for there to be at least one CPL player on the list, but then I always expected this to take time, and the CPL has only existed for a short time. 

On 5/20/2019 at 9:58 AM, Copes said:

Tough indeed, and a bit disappointing. That said, I suspect Herdman hasn't seen enough of the top CPL options. Guys like Haber have already been around the national team and probably aren't reasonable options anymore. Some of the CPL standouts, like Langwa from Halifax (picking one I know) have only played 4 games and probably don't have a track-record to justify a call up.

What about Straith and Hainault?

CPL teams have shallow squads right now. FC Edmonton already had to play with a short bench 3 games into the season. Pacific already have had their own injury issues if I recall correctly. I think Herdman just doesn't want to decimate these teams any further. Guyana called Welshman and Roberts, now imagine if Canada called (for example) Borges, Bekker and Awuah? That would absolutely kill them.

Herdman is doing CPL teams a solid here. Nothing to do with quality and/or having a track-record imo.

And from his perspective, there is no point in naming a CPL player to the 40-man roster if you've already decided you aren't going to use him, right? 

Edited by Obinna

6 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

There was rhetoric that after a handful of games our gold cup squad roster would be full of CPL players??  Seems to me most of us hoped that maybe a couple guys would make the provisional roster, and Dejong would have if he wasnt injured.  Why dont you give it a break, you dont have to be like this everyday.  

1 hour ago, Bison44 said:

There was rhetoric that after a handful of games our gold cup squad roster would be full of CPL players??  Seems to me most of us hoped that maybe a couple guys would make the provisional roster, and Dejong would have if he wasnt injured.  Why dont you give it a break, you dont have to be like this everyday.  

Besides, the ultimate objective is for our CANMNT roster to be filled with as many guys playing in the world top leagues as possible with CPL being the bridge for our youth guys to get there.

A roster loaded with CPL tags would means that we're royally screwed.

Hell, even hardcore fans in the US are worried about MLS heavy rosters. They understand that the best is to have Americans graduating from MLS or academies to end up in Europe.

Why should it be any different for us?

If we're talking U23, than yes, CPL must have guys call up there as they will be playing lots of minutes.

Edited by Ansem