CPL General

18 hours ago, Lofty said:

Forge still need a point from their remaining 2 matches, otherwise it is a 3 way tie on points.

If Forge loses those next two matches it would indeed by a tie ... and then we go to goal differential (GD). If it's two 2--0 losses, then GD is tied too. And Goals for which is then next tie-break. At which point Valour would get it on away goals differential.

If they get through Antigua, they play Olympia (Honduras) at home on Aug 20-22. I can probably get to Hamilton for that match ... so as a neutral I'm cheering for Forge! :)

Edited by nfitz

15 hours ago, Kent said:

Power rankings in general are meaningless and often somewhat random, but it seems pretty obvious that Cavalry should be the top ranked team. I'm not sure how they could get that wrong.

Seems like the old school Toronto Sun Larson is creeping up above the surface. Say something stupid to get people talking

Rankings are lists. For some strange reason we are obsessed with looking at lists. That's why the internet is filled with dumb lists because people know we can't help ourselves but to click on them.

I have to say a power ranking based on a single table league is either peak stupid or someone taking the piss

Edited by SpursFlu

getting our attention and starting debates are exactly why these power rankings exist. playing that devils advocate gets people talking, but at the end of the day its the standings that really matter. excited for forge to show it's better than cavalry tonight though ;) 

When is CPL going to fix their website, been partially broken now for close to a week - click on a game listed at the top and instead of loading the highlights and showing the attendance figure for that game like it did before it just says "loading" forever and nothing loads.

Embarrasing, do they not know of the problem and if so whats taking so long to fix it?

1 hour ago, CDNFootballer said:

When is CPL going to fix their website, been partially broken now for close to a week - click on a game listed at the top and instead of loading the highlights and showing the attendance figure for that game like it did before it just says "loading" forever and nothing loads.

Embarrasing, do they not know of the problem and if so whats taking so long to fix it?

Maybe they got sick of our Spring Season Attendance thread.

2 hours ago, Lofty said:

So, a great match with last minute drama and a tying goal in injury time and the story is that someone alleges that somebody made an unspecified remark that was allegedly racist?

It’s CBC.. a 15 year old could score 6 goals in the championship game and it wouldn’t get 1/4 of the reaction. 

9 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

It’s CBC.. a 15 year old could score 6 goals in the championship game and it wouldn’t get 1/4 of the reaction. 

Raptors leading NBA finals and all the US press can talk about is Lowry being shoved by a GSW part-owner. So it is by no means the CBC.

The press thinks that people don't care about sports, they think we are only interested in the human interest BS around it. 

3 minutes ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

You can't say the NBA doesn't stick up for their players: $500k fine and 1 year ban. Ouch. What will Reynders get? The sack I hope, if allegations are true.

1 year ban.. what a joke.  Unless that $500k is going to Lowry or the charity of his choice not sure how that is sticking up for players. 

I am a Raps/Lowry fan, but a half million dollar fine and a 1 year ban seems pretty appropriate - especially considering that is just the league's action.  There is also talk of the GSW making him sell his shares in the team.  Plus Lowry could pursue legal action of he wanted - either criminal (charges for assault) or civil (sue).

In the heat of the moment the douchebag absolutely overstepped the boundaries, acted inappropriately, and probably let a fair bit of privilege bleed out at a really bad time.  But he didn't eat a bunch of children. 

22 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I am a Raps/Lowry fan, but a half million dollar fine and a 1 year ban seems pretty appropriate - especially considering that is just the league's action.  There is also talk of the GSW making him sell his shares in the team.  Plus Lowry could pursue legal action of he wanted - either criminal (charges for assault) or civil (sue).

In the heat of the moment the douchebag absolutely overstepped the boundaries, acted inappropriately, and probably let a fair bit of privilege bleed out at a really bad time.  But he didn't eat a bunch of children. 

Come on... any “normal person” does that and it’s jail time and a lifetime ban.  Just like the idiot Aston Villa fan from this season.  The NBA is a complete joke so I wouldn’t expect anything less though.  What are they going to say to when you let a celebrity become a part of Toronto home games?

The league is taking a fine as punishment because they benefit.  Where does the fine go? 

Differing opinions I guess. It was a dick move for sure, but I don't thnk a stronger response does much of anything.  Someone in that situation doesn't consider past precedents and the likely disciplinary response they will face - they just act.  Thus a heavier fine or a longer ban doesn't really do much.  I think the message has been sent -  this is not tolerated - and everyone now knows this guy is a pleated khaki douche.  That is justice IMO.

1 hour ago, CanadaFan123 said:

1 year ban.. what a joke.  Unless that $500k is going to Lowry or the charity of his choice not sure how that is sticking up for players. 

I think what's a joke is a millionaire overreacting to a billionaire giving him a tiny love push.  People get pushed harsher on crowded buses!

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

Differing opinions I guess. It was a dick move for sure, but I don't thnk a stronger response does much of anything.  Someone in that situation doesn't consider past precedents and the likely disciplinary response they will face - they just act.  Thus a heavier fine or a longer ban doesn't really do much.  I think the message has been sent -  this is not tolerated - and everyone now knows this guy is a pleated khaki douche.  That is justice IMO.

Pleated khakis are pretty shit. 

18 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Saw the highlights of the Valour game in the Voyageurs cup. Bustos looked pretty good as I expected he would. He put up big numbers with WC2 in the USL, I wouldn't be surprised if he proves to be one of the players of the season when it's all said and done!

I hope that happens after next Wednesday :)

Edited by Califax

3 minutes ago, Lofty said:

Petrasso in the box seat right now, IMHO, but quite a few others have impressed too: Arguiñarena, Sacramento, Gutierrez Zuñiga, Bustos. Perhaps also Musse; and Beland-Goyette has been excellent recently.

Agree with all of those. The one most surprising to me has been Sacramento. I don't think he's been the best, but I liked his energy when I saw him live against Cavalry.

Shout out to Musse also, he has impressed.

It looked like Petrasso was playing wingback in the last match? Was that right? Highlights can be deceiving so I had to ask.