CPL General

I have mentioned before, but a CPL All-star/"Canada B" would be a great idea. It would also be wodnerful for exposure. I doubt, seeing as friendlies for the CMNT are so few and far between these days, that it would happen, especially if we are expecting the CSA to coordinate it. However, in lieu of any tradition all-star game, imagine the CPL allstars playing a game in the November Fifa date? Right after the season and final, they could have the top manager in charge, and field an all-Canadian side. Haiti, T and T, Cuba, Bermuda, Panama, Martinique, and Curacao all have one game windows in CNL A. 

Now that would be fun, and great exposure. Herdman would have to watch that.

I will obviously note that Panama might feel they are too good for this, but some of these teams might take it, and hey maybe their players want to audition for the CPL?

At this stage it's probably better to have coverage with erroneous data than no coverage at all. "No coverage at all" is still the case on the otherwise extremely-soccer-friendly TSN website. I know that Freelance play-by-play men and colour commentators have mentioned the league on MLS broadcasts, but on the flipside I've also noticed that since CPL play has started the likes of Kristian Jack & Stephen Caldwell haven't talked about the league at all since the first game in their weekly podcast (which frankly, makes me want to discontinue listening to them if they are going to continue to ignore the league). There is a home game for York 9 tonight but I get the strong impression that only the "die-hard" fans of the team even know about it. Overall the lack of media coverage is a major problem, at least in the neck of the woods that I'm situated in.

Edited by Gian-Luca

Ya its like York 9 doesn't really exist in its own market.

It really is a grass roots thing.

I don't think we should read too much into the attendance of the Cup game.

And the home opener will have travelling fans from Hamilton.

It will be interesting to see the turnout for their 2nd CPL home game.

8 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

At this stage it's probably better to have coverage with erroneous data than no coverage at all. "No coverage at all" is still the case on the otherwise extremely-soccer-friendly TSN website. I know that Freelance play-by-play men and colour commentators have mentioned the league on MLS broadcasts, but on the flipside I've also noticed that since CPL play has started the likes of Kristian Jack & Stephen Caldwell haven't talked about the league at all since the first game in their weekly podcast (which frankly, makes me want to discontinue listening to them if they are going to continue to ignore the league). There is a home game for York 9 tonight but I get the strong impression that only the "die-hard" fans of the team even know about it. Overall the lack of media coverage is a major problem, at least in the neck of the woods that I'm situated in.

I'd be interested to know how much local coverage teams have been receiving. I know there have been articles in the Free Press about Valour at least several times a week during the season to date, and they have a regular guy on the Valour beat. I don't listen to local sports radio but I know there has been Valour discussion and Ryan Brandt has done a few spots. I think by now a decent chunk of the city knows that the team exists, although with Bombers training camp starting up they might struggle a bit more now for attention.

4 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

And Victoria at Calgary?  Someone has to be trolling to miss every single detail.

That seems reasonable information in a local paper, about a match thousands of klicks away. Few reading the paper would know what Pacific or even Langford  is. Everyone knows Victoria.

I'd be glad they mentioned it at all! Yes, they shouldn't get the score wrong ... though it shows part of the problem with the silly York 9 name for the team that plays in Toronto ... perhaps they'd be doing better if they started their best 11 rather than 9! :)

2 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

I think any presence in one of the major dailies is a good thing. Especially when you consider the Star does not even have a regular TFC beat writer at this point after Laura Armstrong moved into baseball full time. 

I think regardless if you liked him or not, Kurt was a big advocate for footy coverage in this city and beyond while he was at the Sun and you simply don't have that right now. Something like the Wolfpack is what they could strive for. They are getting regular coverage, mostly around games and there crowds are building. They have built some real momentum, but they have their games on TV week and streamed for free, week in, week out.

3 hours ago, nfitz said:

That seems reasonable information in a local paper, about a match thousands of klicks away. Few reading the paper would know what Pacific or even Langford  is. Everyone knows Victoria.

Oh that's the mistake?!? I was trying to figure out what the mistake was all day. LOL

Pacific and Cavalry are nice but come on, "Victoria at Calgary" is accurate. Langford is a glorified neighbourhood, a subdivision on steroids. As has been pointed out repeatedly, when speaking to anyone from outside the Capitol Regional District (CRD), aka "Greater Victoria" , we simply use "Victoria". If they know the city and ask "where in Victoria?" you can say "Langford".

To me Halifax is the most disappointing team in terms of roster, play, and results (not attendance and atmosphere, which is great). I was hoping they would be my second favourite team, but this has definitely not happened.

My own team Pacific has its own issues, but at least it is happening with a mostly young, and primarily Canadian team. Whereas, Halifax is struggling and doing so with mostly a roster of internationals. Today there was only Langwa, Oxner, and Hocine as actual Canadians in the line-up. I understand trying to win and thus teams that do not want to go young and/or all Canadian, should not have to. But being this non-Canadian in terms of the roster, and having it not work, is not a good look. 

Comparatively PFC started 7 and Cavalry 8 Canadians in their game.

6 hours ago, ktf said:

Today there was only Langwa, Oxner, and Hocine as actual Canadians in the line-up.

Four; you're forgetting Kourouma.

6 hours ago, ktf said:

I understand trying to win and thus teams that do not want to go young and/or all Canadian, should not have to. But being this non-Canadian in terms of the roster, and having it not work, is not a good look.

Losing the series to Vaughan would be a much worse look. Hart started 7 Canadians in the first leg, but given the away result obviously didn't want to risk the possibility of getting knocked out by a semi-pro team, so he put out a stronger lineup. I too wish the VC had more significant roster rules, but the MLS folks happily defend their teams when they put out the minimum number of Canadians and the CSA seems to have no intention of making the rules stricter. Regardless, Halifax still started 4 Canadians and also subbed on 3 Canadians, so they're doing significantly better then the MLS teams usually do.

1 hour ago, Zem said:

Four; you're forgetting Kourouma.

Losing the series to Vaughan would be a much worse look. Hart started 7 Canadians in the first leg, but given the away result obviously didn't want to risk the possibility of getting knocked out by a semi-pro team, so he put out a stronger lineup. I too wish the VC had more significant roster rules, but the MLS folks happily defend their teams when they put out the minimum number of Canadians and the CSA seems to have no intention of making the rules stricter. Regardless, Halifax still started 4 Canadians and also subbed on 3 Canadians, so they're doing significantly better then the MLS teams usually do.

Did they not win their game with 7 Canadians in the lineup, then lose with only 4?  I'm not getting your logic here.

17 minutes ago, Ivan said:

Did they not win their game with 7 Canadians in the lineup, then lose with only 4?  I'm not getting your logic here.

Whether they win or lose has nothing to do with what lineup Hart thinks is better. Football isn't a science.

5 minutes ago, deschamp86 said:

I'm not 100%, but I think Bona is french. Like France french

haha he is, but I'm pretty sure he counts as "Canadian" due to the whole University draft pick thing. Just like Schaale. 

Edited by HfxCeltic