CPL General

7 hours ago, Alex D said:

Dont they draw more people than this for the Horses at Spruce Meadows? How was there so many issues?

Think the issues comes from he horses being an all day event. People come and go at random times. Today everyone showed up in that same time frame. You would think with their experience in putting on events they could have predicted this however.

So far all matches have started at their announced start times, or in the case of Halifax yesterday, a few minutes early! I know at IGF yesterday fans were still filing in well after kick-off. I think it will take some time for fans, especially casuals, to unlearn the North American way when a 7pm start really means 7:08, and the like, as is common in other sports.

13 hours ago, Big_M said:
Ian Allison needs to get it together or hopefully they bring in someone else to run the soccer operations side

This, combined with the remote location and the sky-high ticket prices, really has me concerned for the future of the Calgary franchise.

I hate to be that "sky is falling" guy after game one, but holy shit they need to get it together.

40 minutes ago, jonovision said:

So far all matches have started at their announced start times, or in the case of Halifax yesterday, a few minutes early! I know at IGF yesterday fans were still filing in well after kick-off. I think it will take some time for fans, especially casuals, to unlearn the North American way when a 7pm start really means 7:08, and the like, as is common in other sports.

True, but oddly One Soccer screwed up the starting time for the Valour home debut, putting it at 2 am continental Europe (it is still that way on the schedule). Even taking into account Atlantic time zone it makes no sense to be 2 hours wrong. 

I really did not need to see it anyways, I watched the finale of the second season of Trapped, the Icelandic series (which I highly recommend!!).

The man is going above and beyond to promote CPL at Sportsnet while TSN are silent and French media minus CBC French are feeding us bullshit excuses for not covering the league

We must follow John Molinaro on Twitter, like his CPL tweets, Retweet them and comment + thanking him

If his articles and tweets gets low hits, that's bad 

56 minutes ago, Ansem said:

The man is going above and beyond to promote CPL at Sportsnet while TSN are silent and French media minus CBC French are feeding us ******** excuses for not covering the league

We must follow John Molinaro on Twitter, like his CPL tweets, Retweet them and comment + thanking him

If his articles and tweets gets low hits, that's bad 

This x1000

Share all of his articles on social media wherever you can.  The web hits make a big difference on content decisions

6 hours ago, jonovision said:

I don't understand the CPLs reasoning behind this. It is not like they have strict television time commitments to stick to. What is wrong with allowing that 5-8 minute buffer?

Volkswagon player ranking is out. Similar to the MLS Audi index.

PREMIER PERFORMER PRESENTED BY VOLKSWAGEN

RANK PLAYER CLUB POINTS (Avg./match)
1 Hendrik Starostzik  Pacific FC  96.26
2  Ryan Telfer  York9 FC  89.02
3  Amer Didic  FC Edmonton  88.88
4  Mele Temguia  FC Edmonton  86.22
5  Michael Petrasso  Valour FC  86.06
6 Joel Waterman  Cavalry FC  85.41
7  Luis Alberto Perea  HFX Wanderers FC  85.06
8  Ramon Soria  FC Edmonton  84.88
9  Nathan Ingham  York9 FC  84.38
10  Jordan Brown  Cavalry FC  83.95
11 Kwame Awuah  Forge FC  83.35
12 Kadell Thomas Forge FC  82.61
13 Dominick Zator Cavalry FC  82.39
14 Blake Smith Pacific FC  82.26
15 Nik Ledgerwood Cavalry FC  81.84
16 Elijah Adekugbe Cavalry FC  80.18
17 Kareem Moses FC Edmonton  79.19
18 Oumar Diouck FC Edmonton 78.61
19 Ndzemdzela Langwa HFX Wanderers FC 78.60
20 Dominique Malonga Cavalry FC 78.37
Edited by fil

My take on the quality of play after the league's first 6 games: it's still good. My only issue is I have occasionally seen players get dispossessed way too easily, sometimes even when the challenge is coming from behind where basic shielding would have prevented it. That is unacceptable for a professional. Hopefully the coaches drill this criticism into the players and how there will be zero tolerance and instant substitutions going forward if it happens again.

On 5/5/2019 at 11:37 AM, jonovision said:

That Halifax one irritated me a bit. I signed on at like 6:59 to watch the 7:00 game and I had already missed a minute or two. I'm all for punctuality, but really they shouldn't be starting early.

11 minutes ago, johnyb said:

What are you guys using for a Live Scoring App? CPL isn't on The Score App yet and surprisingly the CPL App doesn't have live scoring that I can find.

Live Score (also livescore.com ) seems to have the CPL listed.

I haven't tested it during actual matches though.

Edited by narduch

Apps and sites giving life info and updates are now directly tied to betting activity. I was not so direct even 10 years ago, now it is.

If a line is being given on a result, you need the result. If you are getting odds on when goals are scored, you need live live updates. If it is on who scores, you need full line-ups and changes as well. 

I have no idea if Canadians bet on CPL, but some here have posted about Canadian betting activity being high, I have no idea. Which would suggest that it may garner interest from betting agencies and that will drive better quality update sites and apps.