CPL General

One thing that I think will be really interesting, as it gets closer to the Gold Cup, is considering what the CPL National team would look like. Honestly, maybe they should put a team together and have them give them national team a friendly. That may be the only way they play one! It would also be the best way for CPL guys to get proper attention. Herdman would hopefully notice a standout performance. 

3 hours ago, ktf said:

One thing that I think will be really interesting, as it gets closer to the Gold Cup, is considering what the CPL National team would look like. Honestly, maybe they should put a team together and have them give them national team a friendly. That may be the only way they play one! It would also be the best way for CPL guys to get proper attention. Herdman would hopefully notice a standout performance. 

I would be all for that as long as the put it in a CPL stadium and broadcast it! Would be great to see!

I think it sounds great... but I wonder what it would cost.   The costs would likely not be appreciably different than a full national team game and you suddenly have limited seating capacity. 

Perhaps a double header of some kind? 

I really like the idea, it could be amazing.

7 hours ago, Rheo said:

I remember once upon time on here  when some used a lack of sanctioning at the AGM as proof the league wasn’t happening. Here we are now and the sanctioning happens in a little seen tweet and we have two games under our collective belts :)

^^^Anyone have any idea what this guy is talking about? It was general meetings that didn't live up to the hype on that from certain podcasts and no new team that wasn't added to CSA membership at the AGM last May or the one before started this CanPL season, so that does actually appear to have been pivotal. This latest licensing thing is related to being eligible for CONCACAF competition through the Canadian Championship and is not directly related to CanPL.

7 minutes ago, Markoaleks said:

I was at the Forge Match and did not watch the second match.

Assume Herdman had he been in Hamilton would have been involved in something with the opening ceremonies

Does anyone know if he was at either match?

He was at the game in Hamilton.

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/john-herdman-on-the-importance-of-the-canadian-premier-league-1.5114094

38 minutes ago, Markoaleks said:

I was at the Forge Match and did not watch the second match.

Assume Herdman had he been in Hamilton would have been involved in something with the opening ceremonies

Does anyone know if he was at either match?

I read somewhere that he was at the game in Hamilton, can’t remember where though. 

I feel like the idea is a bit of a stretch for this Gold Cup, but we can dream. It would be fun to watch, and I mean what better way to be motivated to perform in a friendly? You do not want to lose to your B team.

Just coming on to say how much I love and appreciate the One Soccer coverage and content of the CPL thus far.

If you are on the fence, just go for it.

On a personal note, I may unsubscribe from DAZN. It has been great, especially with the non-canadian MLS team coverage, but there are only 24 hours in a day and I can only dedicate so much time to watching soccer. Give me TFC, Vancouver and Montreal coverage on TSN Go (or direct, whatever their streaming service is called) and One Soccer for all things CPL - that is pretty much all this Canadian soccer fan needs...

People should avoid getting too carried away because interest is inevitably going to dip a bit once the novelty wears off and the rosters are probably going to be a bit thin when injuries and suspensions start to mount, but agree with this website story that the league should help to dispel the widespread myth that there is no good soccer readily available in the larger Canadian cities:

https://canpl.ca/article/squizz-canadian-soccer-in-dizzying-dream-like-state-following-cpls-arrival

...Sure, we’re just two games into what will be a long season of ebb-and-flow performances by all seven squads. But for anyone with the lingering perception that a Canadian (long-time code for “bad at men’s soccer”) league simply couldn’t produce quality, this weekend has hopefully been a wake-up call.

It’s a perception that’s permeated deep into the Canadian sporting consciousness—  but one that, with time, the CPL will ideally help to correct...

Too often in the past what we have in place in top provincial and district leagues gets dismissed as beer league level when it really isn't and interest in it has tended to be pretty much confined to recent immigrants. I was confident that a relatively low budget approach could come up with something reasonable in terms of entertaining a home town crowd in the smaller non-MLS cities. Full-time training on fitness and tactics makes a big difference to what any group of reasonably talented players can achieve and that's something that previous attempts at pro soccer such as the original CSL have usually not been able to sustain.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

57 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

People should avoid getting too carried away because interest is inevitably going to dip a bit once the novelty years off and the rosters are probably going to be a bit thin when injuries and suspensions start to mount, but agree with this website story that the league should help to dispel the widespread myth that there is no good soccer readily available in the larger Canadian cities:

https://canpl.ca/article/squizz-canadian-soccer-in-dizzying-dream-like-state-following-cpls-arrival

...Sure, we’re just two games into what will be a long season of ebb-and-flow performances by all seven squads. But for anyone with the lingering perception that a Canadian (long-time code for “bad at men’s soccer”) league simply couldn’t produce quality, this weekend has hopefully been a wake-up call.

It’s a perception that’s permeated deep into the Canadian sporting consciousness—  but one that, with time, the CPL will ideally help to correct...

Too often in the past what we have in place in top provincial and district leagues gets dismissed as beer league level when it really isn't and interest in it has tended to be pretty much confined to recent immigrants. I was confident that a relatively low budget approach could come up with something reasonable in terms of entertaining a home town crowd in the smaller non-MLS cities. Full-time training on fitness and tactics makes a big difference to what any group of reasonably talented players can achieve and that's something that previous attempts at pro soccer such as the original CSL have usually not been able to sustain.

This.

Not to say there are no beers to be consumed, there is, but the quality in these leagues deserves more credit.

I understand why people who haven't played (or even watched) this level of soccer dismiss it, because it's amateur at the end of the day.

However, the reality is that for decades we had no real professional set up, in a country of +35 million people. No professional set up, I think, ultimately created a stronger amateur set up than one would expect.

Now we have a professional league and that is going to weaken the top amateur leagues to a degree, which is what we want obviously. It's tragic when players with professional pedigree have to play amateur soccer because there is no professional opportunity. Thanks to the CPL those days are in the past.

And although the top amateur clubs will take an initial hit with CPL plucking away players and coaches, that just provides an opportunity for someone else at a lower rung to step up. Your ceiling may be league 1 Ontario, and now you maybe realize that potential because Ladell Thomas leaves a void.

Everyone wins long term. More opportunity means more upwards mobility.

Edited by Obinna

Quality of play

Of what I take away from Twitter, Quebec journalists are the biggest CPL detractor, skeptics or/and MLS-Impact loyalists. Although they have some arguments to justify ignoring the league (lack of French content and press releases), I told them that it was still no valid justification knowing that Quebec players were in the league and MLS page had only English & Spanish pages. Those who do tweet about CPL do so on their own time and I make it sure to show appreciation to encourage keeping this up.

That being said, I'd like to share the evolution of their perception on the league's quality.

Pre-Game

TVA Sports Martineau viewed CPL as a 3rd or 4th Division (equal or lower than USL One) in his opinion, pre-game.

At Halftime

First impression from online blogger and PLSQ writer is that this is USL level

985fm Sport Marcuzzi  said that he expected USL level and saw what he expected. Added that it was very entertaining and promising

Marcuzzi adds that he believes that both Forge and York 9 could compete against the likes of NE Revolution, Colorado Rapids and 2 other bad teams.

To think that the league has nowhere to go but up from here is highly promising and exciting!

Reflecting back on a simple amazing weekend. Still absolutely buzzing and can't wait for Wednesday. The quality is only going to get better and better. 

Work starts here though to try and promote and recruit more people, friends, family, co-workers, neighbours, neighbours dog into the game. As @Ozzie_the_parrot rightly mentions the crowd will be big for the start but we have to keep pushing and promoting as much as the players need to keep learning, growing and delivering the product on the field and the club giving fans a great experience off it. 

3 minutes ago, Gopherbashi said:

I know what article that is and I'm not going to encourage them by clicking on the link.

The reddit thread for those who are interested: 

i don't think the article is as anti-cpl as some on there think, i don't really have an issue with the article itself, but that headline is fucking dumb

Edited by matty

6 hours ago, Blackjack15 said:

Rob Gale gave a press conference and was asked about filling the last 2 spots of the 23 man roster, he said all clubs have until May 7th to register players then the window reopens July 1

Wouldnt be shocked if we see David Edgar in a valour FC jersey

He recently suffered a hamstring injury, right?

17 hours ago, m-g-williams said:

Completely random question: does anyone know how to import the league schedule in Google Calendar? I know that there are ways to link the two, but I admit that I am not wise in the ways of technological witchcraft.

I imported the York 9 schedule into my google calendar. I'm not sure if you are looking for the entire league schedule.

It's been a while since I did it, but I think I did it from the Centre Circle app when you open up the Schedule.