CPL General

I just have to say, I am enjoying this league even more than I originally expected. I think in the 12 years I have followed MLS, I could probably count on two hands the amount of games I watched that didn't involve TFC. I don't even think I had watched a single game that didn't involve one of the Canadian teams.

And now I find myself grabbing a nap after work in order to stay up for an 11pm start time to watch a team from Victoria play a team from Winnipeg. Can't wait to watch more on Saturday!

On 4/30/2019 at 5:33 PM, m-g-williams said:

Completely random question: does anyone know how to import the league schedule in Google Calendar? I know that there are ways to link the two, but I admit that I am not wise in the ways of technological witchcraft.

You can do it from the cpl app, well the team schedule at least

Edited by Hybred

I’m 20 minutes into watching the PFC v Valour match and it just kind of hit me how real this is. Despite having traveled to Hamilton for the opening match, being able to sit down and watch a replay of this broadcast is surreal. The kits looks great, the production is top notch, the play is appealing and the sounds are amazing! Props to @ted and the Lake Side Buoys for that. The crowd wasn’t great but I’m confident this will grow and they will be amazing across the country.

And Hoyle just scored, hammering home a pass from Petrasso after a few beauty plays. 

The ability to watch so many young Canadians is incredible. Guys I’ve followed for years but never been able to watch. Another crazy moment was loading the wiki pages for each club to have their rosters available. 

I just can’t believe how real this is after waiting so long... and then it hits me... I’m in Ottawa and the likelihood of the Fury joining are slim and dying. We may get a team, years from now... I’m so jealous. Maybe Laval will be my team and I’ll make the trek for home games.

Edited by BuzzAndSting

8 minutes ago, Big_M said:

I wouldnt be surprised to see an Ottawa team join fairly quickly if the league looks good from beginning to end this season

There’s just so many issues. If it’s not the Fury there’s stadium issues, potential ownership questions, market fatigue, brand confusion... I’d love it but I’m not optimistic at this point.

Without revisiting two long threads in detail, can somebody write a few sentences summarizing the Fury's issues? First, I heard CPL was too low budget. Then I heard it was too high budget. Aren't these owners CFL buddies of Bob Young and WFC? It seems like the silliest fued ever. Bury the fucking hatchet already and let them in for whatever buy-in they would have had last year. Oh yeah, and 🔥 that Muppet de Guzman. Never thought Julian would be my most hated de Guzman.

1 minute ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

Without revisiting two long threads in detail, can somebody write a few sentences summarizing the Fury's issues? First, I heard CPL was too low budget. Then I heard it was too high budget. Aren't these owners CFL buddies of Bob Young and WFC? It seems like the silliest fued ever. Bury the ******* hatchet already and let them in for whatever buy-in they would have had last year. Oh yeah, and 🔥 that Muppet de Guzman. Never thought Julian would be my most hated de Guzman.

My synopsis, in no way 100% accurate, but what I’ve gathered;

- Fury thought the quality would be too low for what their customers wanted

- Fury thought their wages would be too high despite CPL concessions on roster regs  

- Fury may have had reservations about paying more league entry fees

- Fury had concerns about the viability of the league 

- everyone said they would keep talking but that hasn’t happened, apparently no dialogue since last summer

- a bunch of Fury staff and mouth pieces ran their mouth about the CPL

The OSEG partners are 3 of the largest developers in eastern Ontario, Jeff Hunt and John Pugh. Hunt runs the sports side of the business with Pugh, a CSA board member, is the head of the Fury. The bulk of the long term revenue for the org will come from the development around the stadium which is why the money guys are in. None have a long standing relationship with the CFL as they all came in with the RedBlacks. 

The developers and Hunt all seem like reasonable guys, it’s Pugh who seems to have had a few confrontations in the past but who knows what the reasoning is.

1 hour ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

Without revisiting two long threads in detail, can somebody write a few sentences summarizing the Fury's issues? First, I heard CPL was too low budget. Then I heard it was too high budget. Aren't these owners CFL buddies of Bob Young and WFC? It seems like the silliest fued ever. Bury the ******* hatchet already and let them in for whatever buy-in they would have had last year. Oh yeah, and 🔥 that Muppet de Guzman. Never thought Julian would be my most hated de Guzman.

Its sad.  I really hope the things about him are exaggerated or just plain false.  A guy like that should be involved in the league, and could do a ton for it, like Bunbury or Friend/Simpson etc.  Although it seems like everyone dislikes Jim Brennan for some reason, so what do i know?  

4 hours ago, BuzzAndSting said:

- Fury thought their wages would be too high despite CPL concessions on roster regs  

For the sake of clarity, the concern was that CanPL's salary cap was going to be too low for the Fury to be able to keep the Canadian heavy roster that they had assembled.

7 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

For the sake of clarity, the concern was that CanPL's salary cap was going to be too low for the Fury to be able to keep the Canadian heavy roster that they had assembled.

Soooo they thought their wages would be too high. Thanks.

8 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

But then they dumped a good chunk of those players too.

The Fury didn’t see the big picture with the CSB though.

5 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

A lot depends on how much they get from USL expansion and exit fees on whether they did something silly from a financial standpoint in the short to medium term.

They get nothing from expansion from what I heard.

Also, a alot about salary claims were made by mouthpieces on social medias. So take it with a grain of salt. The league was willing to let them play as is. 

2 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

...for one season only on that last bit according to what was tweeted from sources close to their front office.

They aren't official sources. The point of my argument... also, they ended up purging their locker room regardless so the salary/roster rule excuse doesn't stick anymore

Edited by Ansem

On the CPL website, the match recaps show a highlights button, but then none appear.  Is this something I need to sign up for?  Or does my computer suck?  Am I missing something here?

4 hours ago, RJB said:

On the CPL website, the match recaps show a highlights button, but then none appear.  Is this something I need to sign up for?  Or does my computer suck?  Am I missing something here?

Think the issue is probably that onesoccer are quite slow putting them together. I tend to check the league's youtube page for them and it takes a while.