CPL General

One thing I will say about the Summer/Fall season, is that all the other teams will have reasons for optimism. Clearly Cavalry and Forge are a cut above the rest, but the gap is still not awful. The goal differential really shows that it has been tight. I think every team has a lot of what ifs so far, which could change the total view of their season.

Thinking for PFC (I am sure fans of other teams can do the same), they really only lost won game handily, vs. Forge.

Otherwise, a few more inches here and there, a made play or two, etc. this team could have 3-4 wins instead of one. Just to preemptively respond to the "this is how all sports are," I have played and coached many sports at pretty high levels, and I know that the team that deserves something, doesn't always get it, and everyone can look at missed opportunities. However, if I am a PFC player, coach, or fan (YA!) it is easy to see A LOT of missed opportunity this year. 

2-1 loss vs Valour, Haber's double post, and a deflected late winner

0-0 FC Edmonton- Extended time up a man.

2-2 York- own goal and dicey penalty

2-1 HFX- Up early, few missed chances 

1-0 York- Missed penalty, own goal, and great goal-tending by Ingham.

These five games they earned 2 points, when it could easily be 8-9 and it would not have taken much change in tactics or game play. All the other teams can probably say similar things because of how close it is. Even Cavalry needed a FK that should have been stopped, and a 95 minute winner in games 2 and 3 to win. 

On 6/16/2019 at 9:21 AM, narduch said:

How about having the Spring Champion host a 1 game Final? It gives them months to prepare and sell tickets in preparation 

This was the way the NASL did the final, gave the club who won spring lots of lead time like you say to market the big match, sell tickets, bring in extra seating, etc.

On a side note, a cool thing NASL did was pay for the head of each clubs supporters group to come to the Championship each year and take part in a supporters summit with the league to get suggestions and advance info on league news, new expansion clubs, and such.

18 minutes ago, Initial B said:

That is... a very odd acronym for a league based in the States. I wonder if Commisso and Silva are trying to rebrand NASL and doing this as a big FU to the Faths.

CPL better get their copyright lawyers warmed up.

Just what the US needs, another national league when there is already NISA, USL, NPSL, UPSL, US Premiership, ASL.  😠Even more galling, to call it CPL 😫

17 minutes ago, Gopherbashi said:

I'm trying to figure out what the C could stand for.

My first thought is "Central" but that doesn't make sense if they're based in New Jersey.

Club?  Championship?  Continental?

...Confederate? 😬

Cosmic? Colorectal? Ha ha... who knows...

19 minutes ago, Gopherbashi said:

I'm trying to figure out what the C could stand for.

My first thought is "Central" but that doesn't make sense if they're based in New Jersey.

Club?  Championship?  Continental?

...Confederate? 😬

Clearly, it's the "Cool Professional League". ;)

16 minutes ago, Lofty said:

This looks like a very cynical "dirty business" tactic to undermine our CPL...

Alternatively people in the United States don't usually pay all that much attention to what happens in Canada so there is probably no dark conspiracy and CPL isn't an acronym that is unique to Canadian soccer in the first place, which is why canpl.ca is used in the league's url. I'll be very surprised if this American "CPL" league ever kicks a ball in anger:

6 hours ago, Initial B said:

That is... a very odd acronym for a league based in the States. I wonder if Commisso and Silva are trying to rebrand NASL and doing this as a big FU to the Faths.

CPL better get their copyright lawyers warmed up.

Not Da Silva, as his Miami FC has a week or so ago been accepted into NISA, a Pro league already sanctioned by USSF and starting in September this year. Those two have no reason to give an FU to the Faths, who were the longest and strongest supporter of NASL over the years. There was no bad blood between them.

Could be the "NPSL Pro/Founders Cup group or some totally new group. The Founders cup teams have had a falling out with NPSL it seems, and they are trying to deal with the loss of the Miami FC and California United FC recently to NISA.

In any event, it won't be a league that has Canadian clubs so really of no concern IMHO, CPL will stand for something else and be in another country.

1 hour ago, ted said:

This is another good reason to go with CanPL - as we were asked to do from the beginning. It sounds and looks far more distinctive than "CPL". 

Eh. I'm stil very, very much against "CanPL", personally. No other Canadian league (CFL, CHL, etc.), organization (RCAF, RCN, RCMP, etc.), business (CBC, CTV, etc.) or group (CNIB, etc.) *ever* abbreviates "Canada"/"Canadian" to "Can". In my opinion, #CPLorbust. 

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Put CPL in a search engine. You do not get the Canadian one first, at the top. 

I say who the fck cares about the name, as mentioned here, they already have too many leagues. 

But for sure: cannot trust MLS, they are sneaky and not up front, or hardly ever. 

Google tailors search results based on a number of factors, including geography. For me, and I imagine most in Canada, "CPL" turns up the Canadian Premier League website as the first result.

3 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Put CPL in a search engine. You do not get the Canadian one first, at the top. 

I say who the fck cares about the name, as mentioned here, they already have too many leagues. 

But for sure: cannot trust MLS, they are sneaky and not up front, or hardly ever. 

What is your first result? Because, I just looked at the first page and it's all about the Canadian one. 

On 6/17/2019 at 2:51 AM, Kwar said:

I really hope they don't have a 2 game final.  I still don't forgive the original CSL for going to that format!

They only did that once in 1992 when the league had lost its TV contract with TSN and was very much in its death spiral. Hopefully it will be single game if they can get it onto mainstream cable in a reasonably prime time timeslot with the hosting team determined by who had the better record over the complete regular season.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

15 hours ago, m-g-williams said:

Eh. I'm stil very, very much against "CanPL", personally. No other Canadian league (CFL, CHL, etc.), organization (RCAF, RCN, RCMP, etc.), business (CBC, CTV, etc.) or group (CNIB, etc.) *ever* abbreviates "Canada"/"Canadian" to "Can". In my opinion, #CPLorbust. 

That's the point. It is distinctive, reduces confusion and reinforces the national character of the league.

#yesyouCanPL