CPL General

7 minutes ago, HfxCeltic said:

Is there a Canadian content quota for the Voyaguers Cup? If so, I thought it was pretty low...like 3?

Yes, that's right. But the criteria for being considered Canadian is far more stringent than the CPL's and MLS' definition.

4 hours ago, Gopherbashi said:

Shut it down.

I originally was going to put "... longer than the original CPL/1A thread, may it rest in peace" but didn't want it to be confused as a plea for this thread to be shut down :)

Well I will attempt to do some Canadian minute tallies for us!

Starting with, shockingly, PFC...

Not counting Blasco/McCurdy and I am counting Macnaughton, as he is CNT eligible

PFC- 3,492 League (698/game). 1,518 in CC .

HFX- 1,844 League (461/game). 1,077 in CC.

Cavalry- 3,515 League (703/game). 1,553 in CC.

York 9- 2,916 League (729/game). 1,441 in CC.

FC Edmonton- 1,457 League (486/game).

Forge FC- 3,714 League (619/game). 

Valour FC- 3, 896 League (779/game).

A few obvious tiers here... Valour, Cavalry, York, and PFC are doing a wonderful job of playing many Canadians. They are basically averaging 8ish Canadians playing a full 90 each game (obviously it works out a little differently with substitutions and such.)

Forge is also doing very well and are averaging having just under 7 Canadians play a full 90 each game. 

Halifax and Edmonton are in the obvious bottom tier. They are still giving Canadians meaningful professional minutes when compared to our previous state of nothing! But you would like to see it be higher. 

Edited by ktf

I am glad to see the coverage, but I still think he kind of toes the company line a little too well. He should also point out how at least a few players in the CPL probably should/deserve to be on that list of 40, but are not because they are unlikely to make the final roster, and it is a bad time to be away from their squads. 

Okello, Pantemis, and Busti are the three obvious players, who although have a bright future, should not really be on this roster over Chapman from TFC or a few CPL keepers.

1 hour ago, MtlMario said:

Been out of the country the last month. Has TSN or Sportsnet  given any coverage of CPL games on their broadcasts?

Just a quick look at the website will give you a good picture.  Sportsnet has a CPL Molinaro article, headlines about the last games and on the pull down menu CPL is in the number 2 spot after EPL.  Almost nothing on TSN.  The broadcasts have mentioned it a few times, but they are not giving it any real attention.  

On 5/27/2019 at 9:28 PM, narduch said:

Nice to see Molinaro with more CPL coverage

I really enjoyed this article a lot and mostly agree with Molinaro that it is probably to early for CPLers to be called into the Canada squad for competitive matches BUT riddle me this, why is Noble Okello with the team  ahead of Tristan Borges or all the CPLers with previous call ups? Is he such a singular talent? 

Edited by SadOnMondays

4 hours ago, SadOnMondays said:

I really enjoyed this article a lot and mostly agree with Molinaro that it is probably to early for CPLers to be called into the Canada squad for competitive matches BUT riddle me this, why is Noble Okello with the team  ahead of Tristan Borges or all the CPLers with previous call ups? Is he such a singular talent? 

Because he has TFC attached to his name.

On 5/30/2019 at 7:09 PM, SadOnMondays said:

They are completely different players with completely different attributes and offerings. Herdman said he has a specific role and vision for Okello. I am certainly all over the love in for Borges he has a ton of potential but he has near 6 players in that gold cup squad that have proven they can do what he shows in the CPL at a much higher level for a longer time. 

I think there are more than two hand full's of players that could state a better case for being included than Noble, not least due to playing time and level. However Okello was the standout in the failed U20 qualifying even if his game to game form was hot and cold I still feel he is a real sleeper and wild card. When he was on, he was the best player on the pitch and unstoppable. If he is motivated and focused he has Height, the physical and explosive attributes in addition to the technical ones Borges has to make an impact in our squad. 

Someone mentioned before it is a similar situation to MAK, who had a healthy amount of skeptics the first year and a half of his inclusions if not longer. I don't know if Okello is a gamble that will pay off or if he even see minutes but he is a different playing piece for the squad that other teams won't necessarily know anything about. 

Does Borges give us anything different to Millar, Hoilett, Osorio or Tabla, Wotherspoon that were ommitted? Arguably maybe but I'd just rather he was kept with Forge where he has hit his stride. His time will come. 

49 minutes ago, Kent said:

Power rankings in general are meaningless and often somewhat random, but it seems pretty obvious that Cavalry should be the top ranked team. I'm not sure how they could get that wrong.

Exactly. They didn't even take their only possibly out by reasoning they had dropped a place because they didn't play at the weekend, which is the only clutching at straws explanation.