CPL General

Beautiful moment, something we'll never forget. This gave me chills and proud to be Canadian 🇨🇦 Won't be getting tired of hearing our national anthem this season and ahead of every CPL game to come. 

The Journey has begun, We are many, we are one. 

Can't wait for this thing to blow up! This feels just too amazing to be true, good things are coming for Canadian soccer 

Edited by Blackjack15

23 minutes ago, BCM said:

Canadian press may not be showing much love, but CPL on the front page of BBC Football - tried to upload a screenshot but too big for the system, even in reduced form :(

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football

@admin can the max file size be increased or was it costing too much? It was much larger on the old forum. 

14 minutes ago, Greatest Cockney Rip Off said:

Does anyone know where the league put match highlights? Just looking at their website and don’t see a section. 

When I wake up tomorrow morning, I was hoping to see highlights of today’s game without knowing the result. 

Thanks. 

Call me old, but I would really like to see things organized into.... gasp... sections...

29 minutes ago, Greatest Cockney Rip Off said:

Does anyone know where the league put match highlights? Just looking at their website and don’t see a section. 

When I wake up tomorrow morning, I was hoping to see highlights of today’s game without knowing the result. 

Thanks. 

OneSoccer has highlights (20 minutes or 90 seconds) and the full game without the scores in the title.

Something that I'm not sure has been pointed out yet. Yesterday at the opening ceremonies I appreciated that the league had a land acknowledgement to recognize the indigenous groups of Hamilton. By the looks of OneSoccers pregame, I believe that there may have also been a land acknowledgement at the Pacific FC game. I love the appreciation of diversity in the league, hopefully the next move is more French language media. 

Stating the indigenous group who own the land where the match is is being played is long overdue. Corporations like the one I work for have been doing it while for big events.

It's not about diversity though, it's acknowledging the truth - when the term unceded lands is also mentioned, it seems to surprise a lot of people, which shows the general ignorance of history which starts with the gaps in the history being taught.

Edited by red card

13 minutes ago, red card said:

Stating the indigenous group who own the land where the match is is being played is long overdue. Corporations like the one I work for have been doing it while for big events.

It's not about diversity though, it's acknowledging the truth - when the term unceded lands is also mentioned, it seems to surprise a lot of people, which shows the general ignorance of history which starts with the gaps in the history being taught.

I get that, and I can see the value in it, I just hope that this League steers cleat of activism and politics, it’ll turn a lot of people off. These land recognitions (or whatever they’re called) are not really in that boat I guess, I just start to get concerned when I see things that aren’t related to soccer creep into soccer. 

Just now, Ams1984 said:

I get that, and I can see the value in it, I just hope that this League steers cleat of activism and politics, it’ll turn a lot of people off. These land recognitions (or whatever they’re called) are not really in that boat I guess, I just start to get concerned when I see things that aren’t related to soccer creep into soccer. 

You’re right, recognizing Indigenous peoples and their historical land is not activism or politics, it’s respect.

6 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

You’re right, recognizing Indigenous peoples and their historical land is not activism or politics, it’s respect.

Cool, that’s why I said that I don’t really put it in the politics or activism category, but I’d doesn't have anything to do with soccer, and I’m just hoping that they don’t get carried away with non soccer related things. There are lots of noble causes, but they really don’t necessarily relate to soccer. For example, I’m a big advocate of cleaning up the Pacific Garbage Patch, it’s a huge threat to the entire planet’s water system, but it has nothing to do with York 9 FC (the club I support). It can become a bit of a Pandora’s box can’t it? Why is the indigenous land thing more valuable than the Garbage Patch cleanup? Or than hunger in the third world? Or than stopping violence in marginalized communities? Or than etc etc etc... I’m not really arguing against the indigenous land recognition, I’m just hoping that it stops there.  

12 minutes ago, Ams1984 said:

Cool, that’s why I said that I don’t really put it in the politics or activism category, but I’d doesn't have anything to do with soccer, and I’m just hoping that they don’t get carried away with non soccer related things. There are lots of noble causes, but they really don’t necessarily relate to soccer. For example, I’m a big advocate of cleaning up the Pacific Garbage Patch, it’s a huge threat to the entire planet’s water system, but it has nothing to do with York 9 FC (the club I support). It can become a bit of a Pandora’s box can’t it? Why is the indigenous land thing more valuable than the Garbage Patch cleanup? Or than hunger in the third world? Or than stopping violence in marginalized communities? Or than etc etc etc... I’m not really arguing against the indigenous land recognition, I’m just hoping that it stops there.  

What does signing the national anthem have to do with soccer? Nothing but we do it.

As for your other examples those are causes, some not even related to Canada, this is about respecting all Canadians.

2 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

What does signing the national anthem have to do with soccer? Nothing but we do it.

As for your other examples those are causes, some not even related to Canada, this is about respecting all Canadians.

Again, I’m not saying I’m against it. I just hope we don’t go beyond it.