CPL General

They definitely don't need to be avoiding FIFA international dates, if that was the reason for having no games. They are too low budget on player salaries for international call ups to be a significant factor regardless of their official divisional sanctioning level. All they should try to do is make sure they never schedule a game at the exact same time as a CMNT game. The Canadian summer is too short and the level of fan support is too fickle to throw away a weekend like this.

8 hours ago, ted said:

Lamest drinking game ever: take a shot every time a goal is scored in CanPL. ;)

Just thinking from a PFC and One Soccer broadcasting perspective... there could be quite the drinking game involving Marcus Haber mentions/actions. Reminding us he is a former MNT player, experienced, and that he is creating chances (not scoring on them). We could add in some actions including... Haber goes offside unnecessarily, Haber works hard, but is out paced, and he hits a post. 

http://www.uleth.ca/unews/article/economic-health-new-canadian-premier-league-based-groundwork-rockerbie#.XQTqAipE0wB

... From the specific locations of its seven initial franchises to salary-cap structure, player dispersal, living allowances, playing venues and marketing strategies, Rockerbie and Easton detailed every aspect essential to league survival ­­— and it’s working. The great benefit is a massive development gap in Canadian soccer is now being filled, allowing players who graduate from the U-17 ranks to continue playing and advancing their games on home soil...

Lots of interesting details in this, like the importance of the Westjet deal.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

I'm pleasantly surprised that we have had no griping about the % of CDN content.  In fact a lot of the starting 11 have been way above the minimum set by the league.  It doesnt seem to be an issue as opposed to the MLS affiliates in USL.  The level of play has been at least as good as your average USL game (I've watched alot of USL trying to follow our CDN kids there the last few years).  So 2 months in and a few potential problem areas are looking ok.  

I am a bit dissapointed that the big exposure CBC games havnt exactly been barn burners.  For example we got the York/Pac today when you'd think they would have been showing the Cal/Edm grudge match.  At least they are going coast to coast and hopefully getting through to your average joe flipping on the TV on the weekend.  

2 hours ago, narduch said:

Has the League announced the format for the Final?

I would prefer a single match. 

Cavalry can clinch the spring season next Saturday as they take on Forge. 

Agreed, a single match would be best, more dramatic! Also, I think there should be some reward for the club with the best overall points total of the two finalists, and that reward could be hosting the final. 

^ Got to start somewhere. 

Does create something of a home field advantage but so what?  If you're doing a one off end-of-season final geography is going to create a home field advantgage for someone no matter how you choose the host city.  So sure, maximize the marketing potential securing the host site ealier rather than later will allow for.

Of course if I have my way this will be the one and only split season this league ever sees, but somehow I think it will be a while before we outgrow it. 

2 hours ago, narduch said:

How about having the Spring Champion host a 1 game Final? It gives them months to prepare and sell tickets in preparation 

I agree with the one-game final, but I think it should be hosted by the summer/fall champion. An 18-game season is more difficult to win than a 10-game season, and the spring champion would have incentive to try to win the summer/fall season as well.

Edited by Grandbloke

25 minutes ago, narduch said:

I assumed going forward they would balance the seasons.

Yes, if they retain the apertura/clausura format they should balance the seasons. But if the spring season champion were assured of hosting the final, what incentive, other than pride, would that team have to try to win the summer/fall season?

5 minutes ago, Grandbloke said:

Yes, if they retain the apertura/clausura format they should balance the seasons. But if the spring season champion were assured of hosting the final, what incentive, other than pride, would that team have to try to win the summer/fall season?

The incentive is having a shot at being the League Champ

1 hour ago, Kwar said:

Of the two season winners, the team with the best combined record over both seasons should host the final.  That way the spring season winners still has the incentive to win games.

100% this is the only option imo for 1game match. Obviously doesn’t matter if it’s a 2 leg game.