CPL new teams speculation

5 minutes ago, Keegan said:

Who is ignoring it?  I think most of us just know it’s a done deal and this is speculating on next teams (that’s how I feel anyway).  I think Laval is going to be great, especially if they can play Montreal at least once a year. 

I just don't get this business of making up definitive lists ignoring it, over and over again, ad nauseum. At least pay a bit of attention to the facts. 

I can appreciate that many posters are not too interested in the story, or don't take it seriously, but as we sit there is one announcement coming up for a new team: January, Montreal area, for 2020. No more.

38 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

People on this board keep ignoring that we are getting a Montreal annoucement from Bunbury's group in a few weeks.

It seems pretty stubborn and not altogether respectful of the facts to just ignore someone who, apart from being a national team legend, has been someone hired by CPL to assist in things like the trials. I know it is fun to just throw out cities, look up populations, and basically speculate like hell. But how does that justify ignoring the major Montreal CPL announcement, which is the most important piece of news we have heard in the last few weeks and has an immediate impact on the post 2019 future of the league.  

I feel like a few people missed the Bunbury news. I think the new Quebec club will be able to hit the ground running in the 2020 season. They will have no competition to sign the highest rated PLSQ players, and any fringe Impact players could be picked up for cheap. French speaking internationals will also pick a Quebec based club the majority of the time.

This is an important step for football in Quebec. There's too much talent there to only have 1 pro club. Like Aboubacar Sissoko said in his interview (can't remember the guys name that did the interview) "Especially in Montreal, there are very great players who do not have the chance to play with the Montreal Impact". These guys will now have a second outlet to pursue their passion and play professionally their home City/Province. 

49 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

People on this board keep ignoring that we are getting a Montreal annoucement from Bunbury's group in a few weeks.

It seems pretty stubborn and not altogether respectful of the facts to just ignore someone who, apart from being a national team legend, has been someone hired by CPL to assist in things like the trials. I know it is fun to just throw out cities, look up populations, and basically speculate like hell. But how does that justify ignoring the major Montreal CPL announcement, which is the most important piece of news we have heard in the last few weeks and has an immediate impact on the post 2019 future of the league.  

Not sure where you are getting this.  Pretty much every list in the last few pages has mentioned Montral or Laval, and multiple posts have talked about the importance of a team in QC.  As far as I can tell, no one is ignoring it - just not celebrating the specific Bunbury plan until the official announcement comes.

1 hour ago, KW519 said:

I feel like a few people missed the Bunbury news. I think the new Quebec club will be able to hit the ground running in the 2020 season. They will have no competition to sign the highest rated PLSQ players, and any fringe Impact players could be picked up for cheap. French speaking internationals will also pick a Quebec based club the majority of the time.

This is an important step for football in Quebec. There's too much talent there to only have 1 pro club. Like Aboubacar Sissoko said in his interview (can't remember the guys name that did the interview) "Especially in Montreal, there are very great players who do not have the chance to play with the Montreal Impact". These guys will now have a second outlet to pursue their passion and play professionally their home City/Province. 

I did the interview :)

1 hour ago, Dominic94 said:

Montreal/Laval should be strong from the get go, some good teams here that they can just pluck from.

Anyone here email Alex about it ?

I do.

The annoucement is going to be in January, you will know more about it pretty soon

With the Fury saga and upcoming Bunbury's annoucement

How I see the expansion:
2020:

Laval

Ottawa

a third team

2021:
2 other teams

so 3 teams to be determined for the 2 upcomign years:
Saskatchewan, Great Vancouver, Moncton, St John NL, Quebec City, an other GTA team?

Okay then, Laval. That puts a CPL team in the radius of Impact. York 9 is in TFC radius.

The question about Greater Vancouver then arises: I've heard rumours about the Caps making some effort to block the CPL, but it was phrased in a different way than that (in a way I did not understand in fact,  so won't repeat the terms). I think for sure they were worried about CPL and still are. The pressure on Canadian content is there, and the question about the academy. I imagine the Whitecaps will make a concerted effort to deepen their local roots, and reach out to Fraser Valley fans, youth teams, specifically, in the next few years. 

My conclusion: for a team to emerge for CPL in Surrey or similar, there is going to have to be a combination of a very strong-minded owner or ownership group, plus ambitious local politicians in the municipality they decide to build the stadium. My guess is that the scenario is a ways off still.

Think the thing to watch is whether the Whitecaps try to relaunch their reserve team in Langley again in USL League One. Suspect the Impact might try something similar somewhere in Quebec. It wasn't sensible to exclude that sort of setup from CanPL given how shallow the talent pool is, but the die has been cast and we are going to have two parallel league systems at cross-purposes for better or worse.

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

I see it differently.  I think there’s a very broad talent pool that just latent below the surface.

The issue up to this point has been that there was no way for the talent to reach the surface.

We’re about to see 112 guaranteed additional professional spots this year and perhaps another 32 next year.  

The talent pool is about to bubble and churn and from that churn I expect that some real cream is about to rise to the top in the next few years.  By 2026 I think a very large plurality of our players will likely have played with one of the 3 MLS teams or the CPL.  

Edited by baulderdash77

1 hour ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Think the thing to watch is whether the Whitecaps try to relaunch their reserve team in Langley again in USL League One. Suspect the Impact might try something similar somewhere in Quebec. It wasn't sensible to exclude that sort of setup from CanPL given how shallow the talent pool is, but the die has been cast and we are going to have two parallel league systems at cross-purposes for better or worse.

Seriously doubt CSA allows reserve teams destined for USL to set up shop in CPL targeted markets. Surrey would be one of them, same for Quebec City

Have you not learned anything from the Fury's sanctioning? Ottawa was a CanPL target market as well, but the CSA still processed all the paperwork even after VM started sending them letters. The existing operations are grandfathered in and part of that is that the MLS teams can run reserve teams in USL subject to a strict CanCon requirement. There have been rumours about the Impact and Quebec City. We'll see what happens.

5 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Have you not learned anything from the Fury's sanctioning? Ottawa was a CanPL target market as well, but the CSA still processed all the paperwork even after VM started sending them letters. The existing operations are grandfathered in and part of that is that the MLS teams can run reserve teams in USL subject to a strict CanCon requirement. There have been rumours about the Impact and Quebec City. We'll see what happens.

The Fury are here. Those USL reserves teams aren't, leaving the CSA with the ability to refuse sanctioning clubs out of Surrey and Quebec City.

Vancouver Whitecaps even said that they were looking at putting a USL team in Calgary (dick move) but were blocked by the CSA. (During meeting with season ticket holders)

So, nope, that ain't happening 

25 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Seriously doubt CSA allows reserve teams destined for USL to set up shop in CPL targeted markets. Surrey would be one of them, same for Quebec City

I hope you are right, and in fact, better that way. I hadn't thought about that, but why not: if you want a reserve team, put it somewhere else. Maybe not like Caps using Fresno, a bit closer (to call in a player with 48 hrs notice without huge problems), but I agree, that would be great: no sanctioning of reserve teams in potential CPL markets.

Glad you mentioned the Calgary case, I had not realised that. Let them set up in Kelowna, why not? At least that builds a new market and enlivens interest in a growing market. 

I mean, a reserve team should really care about its fan base, it is not even important, but if you are going to do it, a new market could be a collateral positive. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

2 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I hope you are right, and in fact, better that way. I hadn't thought about that, but why not: if you want a reserve team, put it somewhere else. Maybe not like Caps using Fresno, a bit closer (to call in a player with 48 hrs notice without huge problems), but I agree, that would be great: no sanctioning of reserve teams in potential CPL markets.

I mean, why should a reserve team really care about its fan base, it is not even important. 

I think Vancouver tried to put a team in Calgary to make it harder on CPL. Montreal doing the same in Quebec City would be the same.

Remember when Tigers-Cats were in dispute with the city of Hamilton trying to seek other soccer teams to play at the stadium?

CSA even stepped in saying it wouldn't sanction anyone else but CPL out of that stadium. That could be seen as a move to prevent a TFC II move there perhaps?

7 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Have you not learned anything??  WC scrapped their USL team after (they said) losing millions of dollars with little return.  Many on here were calling FC montreal a dumpster fire from the begining.  Van and Montreal just got out of the USL, why do you think they are going to jump back in??  Especially if there will be 7-8 new CPL teams (whole new league) that they potentially could loan teenage prospects too?  

2 minutes ago, Ansem said:

I think Vancouver tried to put a team in Calgary to make it harder on CPL. Montreal doing the same in Quebec City would be the same.

Remember when Tigers-Cats were in dispute with the city of Hamilton trying to seek other soccer teams to play at the stadium?

CSA even stepped in saying it wouldn't sanction anyone else but CPL out of that stadium. That could be seen as a move to prevent a TFC II move there perhaps?

Just going back to the Fraser Valley, since you say you were at the supporter's meeting with the FO (btw, do we know each other, and sorry for asking if we do?)

I heard that the Caps were actively intervening to block any CPL Fraser Valley move, or maybe it was Surrey. That they had some future considerations that they laid out and that they could have been a factor in the municipality not getting fully behind the Rob Friend initiative. What have you heard, and what do you know about that?

The rumour was they tried to sell the franchise to a Calgary group (possibly Spruce Meadows?) which is a bit different than a relocation. The main reason Whitecaps and Impact reserve teams are probably imminent is that having CanPL around will motivate them to get more of their possible future Homegrown Players onto a pro contract and USL League One should enable that on a lower budget than previously.

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

Just now, Unnamed Trialist said:

Just going back to the Fraser Valley, since you say you were at the supporter's meeting with the FO (btw, do we know each other, and sorry for asking if we do?)

I heard that the Caps were actively intervening to block any CPL Fraser Valley move, or maybe it was Surrey. That they had some future considerations that they laid out and that they could have been a factor in the municipality not getting fully behind the Rob Friend initiative. What have you heard, and what do you know about that?

I wasn't at the minutes but someone posted Q & A of that meeting and the topic of CPL was brought up. This is where they talked about being disappointed with Fresno and they had try to go for Calgary but the CSA blocked it.

As for the Whitecaps trying to block teams, their only Avenue is lobbying local officials and the CSA I would think...

In an era where CPL was just an idea, it would have worked, but now... very unlikely 

2 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

The rumour was they tried to sell the franchise to a Calgary group (possibly Spruce Meadows?) which is a bit different than a relocation. The main reason Whitecaps and Impact reserve teams are probably imminent is that having CanPL around will motivate them to get more of their possible future Homegrown Players onto a pro contract and USL League One should enable that on a lower budget than previously.

No, they wanted to relocate, not sell.

As for MTL and Van, I'm not against them having a USL team in League One as reserve, just not in CPL potential markets

Otherwise, you'd be the biggest hypocrite to lobby for that while wanting CPL to stay out of Ottawa

7 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

The rumour was they tried to sell the franchise to a Calgary group (possibly Spruce Meadows?) which is a bit different than a relocation. The main reason Whitecaps and Impact reserve teams are probably imminent is that having CanPL around will motivate them to get more of their possible future Homegrown Players onto a pro contract.

There has been legal strife between MLS and USL, and with NASL, and in neither case did that stop teams from loaning out, signing and in general moving players between the supposedly bickering leagues. If you have a team like Pacific across the water, and you have a chance to maybe pick up a player short term, or loan down a player if PFC is interested, no one is going to be in a boycott mode or treating the other league as pestilent. At least not after a few months of CPL have gotten going. If MLS in Canada is so defensive about the new league that they do decide to blacklist player movement with them, then we can easily conclude MLS clubs have a serious problem and are faltering: no club in a position of strength ever refuses an option that benefits it for merely symbolic reasons, that would be a sign of weakness.

Whitecaps taking apart their academy was a terrible decision on the part of the FO, and very shortsighted. That Lenarduzzi seemed to be in favour is a mark against him. The Davies effect can only last so long, as right now Caps have no path to enable anything at all similar to be repeated--they've chopped off their own balls and gifted the Can content to CPL. Now that CPL has come along and the narrative has changed, they've been left exposed.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist