CPL new teams speculation

I'm not sure junior hockey is a good comparable. It's got broader appeal, and the Giants were already a well established and successful team before relocating. And even then, it's always sounded like Langley wasn't their first choice (and might not stay their long term either).

I think the NLL team in Langley is a better example. There's a strong lacrosse community in the lower mainland but the location was still a problem attracting people. Plenty of free tickets always available. Think that's the only way I ever went.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

This just popped up on my FB feed.  Is it just teasing or did I miss something?

53973A8E-623D-4B04-BFC7-137E5B5298A7.jpeg

I've lived in Québec and studied at Laval one summer, but I find it silly they'd be asking a bunch of Anglos what to call the team. I could only come up with some dumb-azz name, I assure you. Let them decide and all power to them. 

3 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I've lived in Québec and studied at Laval one summer, but I find it silly they'd be asking a bunch of Anglos what to call the team. I could only come up with some dumb-azz name, I assure you. Let them decide and all power to them. 

I generally agree but one of the commenters (probably francophone given his name) suggested Bataillon de Quebec which sounds pretty damn cool and would totally fit with the naming conventions the league has adopted.  

45 minutes ago, Impactsupporter said:

I would be very surprised if this is true,  maybe a Bundesliga club should be looking at London and/or Kitchener Ontario as they have large German populations.

Just a thought

I doubt they would think like that. They would likely go where they feel is the best situation for them

https://www.transfermarkt.us/canadian-premier-league-expansion-bundesliga-involved-in-fraser-valley-project-/view/news/373100

Sources have suggested that both Borussia Dortmund and Bayern Munich could be interested in the project—another possibility is Werder Bremen, the club has long targeted Canada for potential marketing purposes but also talent development. There have also been suggestions by reliable sources that the Deutsche Fußball Liga (DFL)—the Bundesliga governing body—could be involved directly.

I saw this as well.  I think the Athletico Ottawa investment as well as the emergence of Davies, David and some others has highlighted the development potential in Canada.

The stakes for a team like Bayern or Dortmund are pretty low.  10 million upfront and no more than likely 1 million per year.  For teams that large the CPL is a small investment with a potentially high payoff.

Its seems more like a “smoke before fire” thing but these types of deals can come together quickly.

Exactly, the investment is likely less than buying a player for some clubs. 

My only concern is keeping the playing field level. Leagues like the premiership are already too far gone and corrupt to find a way back. We can do something different here that involves fans and helps the sport grow in this country in a way that isn't alienating and switching hardcore fans off like Europe is.

Should a team go ahead in Saskatoon as planned, for instance, it will be a club structured and owned by the community. Does that stand a chance against Atletico/Bundesliga etc. if they have teams? 

Obviously if Man City or PSG come in for a Saskatoon team I will flip my opinion 😛

11 hours ago, toontownman said:

My only concern is keeping the playing field level. Leagues like the premiership are already too far gone and corrupt to find a way back. We can do something different here that involves fans and helps the sport grow in this country in a way that isn't alienating and switching hardcore fans off like Europe is.

Should a team go ahead in Saskatoon as planned, for instance, it will be a club structured and owned by the community. Does that stand a chance against Atletico/Bundesliga etc. if they have teams? 

Obviously if Man City or PSG come in for a Saskatoon team I will flip my opinion 😛

This is one of those areas where the salary cap, Canadian player quotas, etc. help ensure the continuity of a level playing field.   Without them, an unsustainable scenario could absolutely unfold whereby the sponsored clubs outpace locally owned club in terms of spending and recruitment.  But with those mechanisms in place, I think a general sort of parity should be safe.  The allure of entering a developmental pipeline that has a higher chance of leading to a team in Madrid or Munich still might be attractive to a young player choosing which CPL team he wants to play for but I don’t think it impacts the league’s viability.  

13 hours ago, toontownman said:

Aren’t Bundesliga clubs majority owned by the community? I don’t understand the sentiment that community owned clubs in Canada wouldn’t stand a chance 

Well there are natural advantages with big clubs or in this case maybe a league owning a CPL club. 

Mainly access to resources. 

- Player, coaching networks and connections.

- Training camps. Compare Eddies last year going north and camping outdoors for their military style camp. Ottawa this year went to Madrid with some of the best resources possible.

- Established brand and notability that draws a larger fan base and interest. Bigger pull for local sponsors/media to get involved.

While league caps could level the playing field in many areas there are always ways around providing other advantages like building academies, facilities, attracting players and providing great opportunities etc. 

I am not saying there is a way around that though and also whether that it is bad for the league either. I think the advantages of this type of investment outweigh the negatives and will help the league grow quicker and put more eyes on the game here.

I don't know what the playing field was like in 1949 when the Bundesliga was set up but it probably wouldn't be a surprise if there were still a couple of richer owners wanting to buy the league just like now. This isn't really a new problem. With the community owned club it always comes down to what the community resources and support/buy in is to be successful. Then it is smart hires. Either way it surely makes it that much harder, not impossible but harder in comparison than a Bayern owned club would find it.  IMO.