CPL new teams speculation

2 hours ago, Ansem said:

You have to think that young guys having to decide between going to MLS Next (since MLS will be pulling out of USL-1) and signing in CPL where Atletico and Bundesliga are watching won't be that hard of a decision...

Coupland just stated that in an article: 

“I think it’s also about representing the stripes and representing Atlético Madrid,” Coupland said, signaling to the Atlético logo on his team jacket during an interview with the Sportspage over Zoom.

“They have unique values and a unique way of thinking,” Coupland said. “Every time I step on the field, I’m very proud to say that I’m playing for Atlético Ottawa, a team affiliated with Atlético Madrid. That’s a really strong feeling for me.”

“I’m 16, there’s youth teams until U19 (at Atlético Madrid). Having that opportunity to potentially go play over in Madrid with the academy is something that is achievable and if I work towards it, it’s definitely somewhere that I could see myself playing in the future,” Coupland said.

https://sportsottawa.com/2020/10/14/teenage-midfielder-antoine-coupland-reflects-on-his-first-season-with-atletico-ottawa/

20 hours ago, Stryker911 said:

For a team like Bayern. Davies has already made them 60-70 million pounds (going by transfermarkt values). If they think there is even a small possibility of getting someone similar there is no wat they wouldn't be all over it. 

Not sure what sort of calculation that is. You buy a player so he gives you success on the pitch, and that costs you money. The money you make from your success compensates that, at least partially, because you have to raise his salary in the meantime. Bayern is not going to sell Davies unless deeper into a contract he expresses concern about being there, or a coach questions his performance, and another club comes along with a bid. 

But regardless, I don't get how Bayern has to pay anything back or owes anything. Maybe the opposite even, the way that deal went down.

If I were a club I'd think that the best bet is not to have a team in CPL, it would be to sponsor a major aspect, like the league's academies. Or to be a partner. Or the main sponsor. The FC Bayern Canadian Premier League. Or the Bayern Munich CPL Academies. That way the entire league looks upon you favourably for what you are adding to the project.

A major European team taking on a single club in the league ends up being the rival of the others and the rest of the fans learn to dislike or despise their uppity connections, as happens with NY Red Bull, and even NYCFC. I am not sure a club benefits your image, I seriously doubt NY Red Bull is even an effective use of branding for their US sales. Okay, not entirely sure on this, as likely At Ottawa has already given At Madrid greater Canadian brand recognition, but that is before they've hardly played. When rivalries flourish that may change. It may top out as the team becomes just another rival to beat for 7/8ths of CPL fans. Would a Werder Fraser Valley FC benefit them? At first, possibly; then not so sure. 

The advantage of a Werder or an Atlético is that they have a low fan base, but are not generally disliked by fans; so they may grow, but also grow in negative ratings too.

And then the same way At Ottawa is not clearly connected enough to the home club to really feed talent that way (despite Coupland getting his hopes up), you are not necessarily going to see younger players going any more to your Werder Bremens, if that were the case.

Final thought: why would a German football entity have more pull getting a municipality alongside to build a 8000 seater stadium in the Fraser Valley when no local interest can get anywhere close?

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

9 hours ago, An Observer said:

I would be more concerned if I was the Whitecaps. A credible organisation with a much better track record of running a football team than yourselves setting up in your backyard 

There going to be far enough away from the caps main base of fan support likely and the size of the lower mainland can support 2 pro teams.

It would be interesting to understand the football ecosystem. Canada certainly has many things going for it, but on the player development front you'd think a club like Atletico should be buying Defensor Sporting or Danubio, not Ottawa. Maybe they (or a competitor) already has behind the scenes, but how much could a Uruguay top flight club really cost. One Gimenez and you have an $80m asset on the books. The fact that these small clubs produce players like this consistently makes me wonder why they aren't all owned by foreign money? Perhaps because it's easy enough to buy the players young and on the cheap? (I think Gimenez was about 900k).

Canada is an untapped market. Underdeveloped and undermined, get your pickaxes and head to Fraser Valley....

4j3ycl.jpg

“Well hooooooo-wee! Ah reckon we’ve found ourselves some bona fide golden soccer nuggets right here in this ol’ mound o’ grit! Yessiree, Momma’s gonna be marty proud when she discov’rs we can afford fresh beans ‘n’ biscuits for the winnertarm."

10 hours ago, Ansem said:

You have to think that young guys having to decide between going to MLS Next (since MLS will be pulling out of USL-1) and signing in CPL where Atletico and Bundesliga are watching won't be that hard of a decision...

I would think that big clubs have the resources to scout MLS Next, the money is better in MLS even for the lower end players, and there's a more direct path already to a bigger club than CPL.  So, I guess you're right, it's not that hard a decision...

4 hours ago, CDNFootballer said:

There going to be far enough away from the caps main base of fan support likely and the size of the lower mainland can support 2 pro teams.

They set up a pro hockey team in Abbotsford, and it was an utter failure.  The Giants were an established winning brand before moving and the players make virtually nothing.

But having said that, the competion for your sporting dollars in the valley is about to heat up. The city of Surrey looks to be moving towards a new 10k indoor arena with the intent to bring pro hockey back again (although a relocation of the Giants has always been rumoured too):

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/surrey-indoor-stadium-proposal-opinion

1 hour ago, Watchmen said:

I would think that big clubs have the resources to scout MLS Next, the money is better in MLS even for the lower end players, and there's a more direct path already to a bigger club than CPL.  So, I guess you're right, it's not that hard a decision...

Straight from the mouth of former TVA Sports journalist Nicholas Martineau and current co-founder of Obelisq agency.

-European clubs have a better perception of CPL than USL due to the "Division 1" Status. 

MLS Next will seek Division 3 sanction at the USSF.

So, I don't buy that MLS Next will be more attractive than CPL one bit

53 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Straight from the mouth of former TVA Sports journalist Nicholas Martineau and current co-founder of Obelisq agency.

-European clubs have a better perception of CPL than USL due to the "Division 1" Status. 

MLS Next will seek Division 3 sanction at the USSF.

So, I don't buy that MLS Next will be more attractive than CPL one bit

I don't think European clubs would look at a player and say "he's in MLS Next".  I think they'd say "he's in MLS".

Ultimately, I think the important thing for players is having options.  MLS and MLS Next will work for some.  The CPL will help gather players missed/overlooked/rejected by MLS and/or need more time.  At the incredibly low wages offered by the CPL, I don't buy that it's more attractive necessarily.  They're just two different paths now and we're fortunate to have good access to both.

37 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

I don't think European clubs would look at a player and say "he's in MLS Next".  I think they'd say "he's in MLS".

Ultimately, I think the important thing for players is having options.  MLS and MLS Next will work for some.  The CPL will help gather players missed/overlooked/rejected by MLS and/or need more time.  At the incredibly low wages offered by the CPL, I don't buy that it's more attractive necessarily.  They're just two different paths now and we're fortunate to have good access to both.

Unless they're going to be playing first-team MLS minutes, a young player is better off in CanPL. In a quarter century, MLS teams have proven to be an impediment to standout players moving on to better leagues, something that CanPL clubs have already shown that they won't be. MLS is making noises that they'd like to change their approach in this area, but I'd want to wait a few years to see if they're truly genuine about that. That being said, for a player who's realistic ceiling is MLS-level, going straight into that league is probably a better idea.

3 hours ago, Watchmen said:

They set up a pro hockey team in Abbotsford, and it was an utter failure.  The Giants were an established winning brand before moving and the players make virtually nothing.

But having said that, the competion for your sporting dollars in the valley is about to heat up. The city of Surrey looks to be moving towards a new 10k indoor arena with the intent to bring pro hockey back again (although a relocation of the Giants has always been rumoured too):

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/surrey-indoor-stadium-proposal-opinion

The Abbotsford hockey team was a disaster from the start with them being Calgary Flames minor league affiliate.

Giants are doing alright at the LEC and the ownership is apparently happy with them being there.

6 hours ago, Watchmen said:

You got to give them more credit than that. It's like you saying

• I don't think Real Madrid would look at a player and say "he's in Ligue 2".  I think they'd say "he's in LFP".

Ultimately, I think the important thing for players is having options.  MLS and MLS Next will work for some.  The CPL will help gather players missed/overlooked/rejected by MLS and/or need more time. 

And guys opting for CPL with the opportunity for 1st club minutes

At the incredibly low wages offered by the CPL, I don't buy that it's more attractive necessarily. 

For young guys, yes.

Older guys? Most likely not

Josh Simpson - “There’s a lot of action right now with a handful of groups. This demand is exciting. The goal is to have 16 teams in the CPL by 2028 with a West-East split that is ideal.”

Some other quotes about the Fraser Valley bid in here as well

https://www.timescolonist.com/sports/pacific-fc-may-get-b-c-rival-in-canadian-premier-league-soccer-1.24223403?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=dlvr.it

2 hours ago, Shway said:

I just hope it’s more Pacific, HFX type teams and less York9. Figure it out before , rather than after.

Due to our weather and having to play through the summer. I actually prefer 12 or 14 teams max. 

I personally think 16 is too big for Canada and will dilute the level too much unless they increase the number of foreigners to ensure competition for spots. Also, not sure there are really 16 locations in Canada that can sustain the attendances required. 

28 minutes ago, An Observer said:

I personally think 16 is too big for Canada and will dilute the level too much unless they increase the number of foreigners to ensure competition for spots. Also, not sure there are really 16 locations in Canada that can sustain the attendances required. 

Careful. You've got guys here insisting that we should have 30 teams across 2 divisions.

I think 12 stable CanPL teams, in addition to the 3 MLS sides and, eventually supported by 4 semi-pro, L1O-style leagues below is the Canadian soccer ideal space.

7 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

Careful. You've got guys here insisting that we should have 30 teams across 2 divisions.

I think 12 stable CanPL teams, in addition to the 3 MLS sides and, eventually supported by 4 semi-pro, L1O-style leagues below is the Canadian soccer ideal space.

Agreed. Or pushing it 14. Better to have a couple bidders on the table always and the pressure for clubs to make it work. 

And to see the lower tier get stronger, for your L10 type divisions to become semi-pro. 

I realize most think a 30+ game season is ideal, I agree, but as you're expanding the only way to swing it is with an unbalanced schedule. Scheduling should be the least of our worries going forward. Solid expansion is far more important than scheduling niceties. 

12 hours ago, Aird25 said:

Josh Simpson - “There’s a lot of action right now with a handful of groups. This demand is exciting. The goal is to have 16 teams in the CPL by 2028 with a West-East split that is ideal.”

Some other quotes about the Fraser Valley bid in here as well

https://www.timescolonist.com/sports/pacific-fc-may-get-b-c-rival-in-canadian-premier-league-soccer-1.24223403?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=dlvr.it

I also despise the idea of an west-east split at the premier league level. If we are able to manage not having to split the teams now, why do it later? I love me a balanced scheduled. 

Now for the future championship/second division league I think it would be perfect for the West-East split to happen there. It will allow an easier financial transition from the League 1 levels to the Championship level, and likewise from Championship to Premier league. 

My ideal 20 team pyramid...

Premier League:
- 12 teams
- Single Table
- 22 Game Regular Season Schedule
- Championship Playoffs (Top two teams automatically qualify to the semi-finals, 4-6 place teams have a play-in)
- Relegation Playoffs (11-9 teams play two games each, bottom team gets relegated)
- Last placed Team is automatically relegated

Championship League:
- 8 teams
- East/West Split 
- 16 Game Regular Season Schedule (In-conference home & away games, and play each conference opponent an additional game. Play each opposing conference team 1 game each.)
- League winner (most points overall) automatically gets promoted
- Promotion Playoffs (from East vs West home and away winner gain promotion)
- Relegation Playoffs (Bottom two from each conference play home and away aggregate series, losers are relegated to respective League 1 leagues)

Rumours again for KW.. 

Well this October I did see a fellow in lederhosen, schnitzel was sold out at the local farmers market, sausage and sauerkraut are in short supply. That empty plot where Schneider's meat plant (delicious Octoberfest sausage) seems tailored made for a stadium...

Bayern Munich's affiliate CPL team confirmed!

I for one welcome are new German soccer overlords in their nefarious plans to find another Davies and dominate the European champions league! I hope their evil plans succeed...

59 minutes ago, Shway said:

Championship League:
- 8 teams
- East/West Split 
- 16 Game Regular Season Schedule (In-conference home & away games, and play each conference opponent an additional game. Play each opposing conference team 1 game each.)
- League winner (most points overall) automatically gets promoted
- Promotion Playoffs (from East vs West home and away winner gain promotion)
- Relegation Playoffs (Bottom two from each conference play home and away aggregate series, losers are relegated to respective League 1 leagues)

Good post, but a correction. If you've got 8 teams, with 4 in the East and 4 in the West, your format would yield 13 games. In-conference home and away means 3 games at home, 3 games away. Each of your 3 conference opponents a third time brings you to 9 games. Then each opposing conference team 1 game means 4 more games. I assume you counted 7 games for that last point. To get to 16 games you could have double home and away in conference, or you could do 17 games with home and away games outside your conference.