CPL new teams speculation

5 minutes ago, Kent said:

Good post, but a correction. If you've got 8 teams, with 4 in the East and 4 in the West, your format would yield 13 games. In-conference home and away means 3 games at home, 3 games away. Each of your 3 conference opponents a third time brings you to 9 games. Then each opposing conference team 1 game means 4 more games. I assume you counted 7 games for that last point. To get to 16 games you could have double home and away in conference, or you could do 17 games with home and away games outside your conference.

lol...thanks for pointing that out. I started off with 12 teams, and then digressed as I thought it was too much teams in the overall pyramid. So I clearly forgot to recalculate the format. 

I think either or could work. But if conferences come on the basis of reducing travel, than I think I would lean more to doubling home & away in conference, and 4 games against out of conference teams. 

15 hours ago, Aird25 said:

Josh Simpson - “There’s a lot of action right now with a handful of groups. This demand is exciting. The goal is to have 16 teams in the CPL by 2028 with a West-East split that is ideal.”

Too many misunderstand what he meant here.

To me, it seems like the league would like to avoid a scenario of like having 12 teams out east and 4 out west.

But at best it looks like 6 west and 12 east

West

• Fraser Valley
  • Pacific
  • Cavalry
  • FC Edmonton
  • Saskatoon
  • Valour

You'd need the Roughriders or another investor to express their interest in Regina to bring it to 7 and/or closer/in Vancouver

Besides, once you get pro/rel - that kind of become irrelevant

12 hours ago, An Observer said:

I personally think 16 is too big for Canada and will dilute the level too much unless they increase the number of foreigners to ensure competition for spots. Also, not sure there are really 16 locations in Canada that can sustain the attendances required. 

I am generally in the camp that more is better and the pro/rel can address the number of quality Canadian players.  But I even question the assertion that there aren't enough to go around.  A couple of weeks ago (can't remember which thread) someone posted the number of Canadian players who are plying their trade in USL (a comparable level) and it was substantial.  That isn't to say that all of them would or should come to CPL, but given the level of play, it seems like there is still a pool of players out there that could be recruited to fill out the CanCon requirements of a number of new teams - and this doesn't even account for what seems like an increasing number of young player loans from the MLS reserve teams (or their academies for that reason). 

The attendance thing is a separate issue but I would leave it up to those behind a would-be team to determine market viability.  There are enough people in Canada's urban centres to support many more teams with attendance levels at 5000.  The trick is finding the right identity and marketing to get them behind a local team. 

3 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I am generally in the camp that more is better and the pro/rel can address the number of quality Canadian players. 

Those who are proponents at keeping the number of team low forget that more teams makes planning traveling easier and can be less taxing on players. There's even efficiencies possible by having more teams in the league.

4 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

But I even question the assertion that there aren't enough to go around.  A couple of weeks ago (can't remember which thread) someone posted the number of Canadian players who are plying their trade in USL (a comparable level) and it was substantial.  That isn't to say that all of them would or should come to CPL, but given the level of play, it seems like there is still a pool of players out there that could be recruited to fill out the CanCon requirements of a number of new teams - and this doesn't even account for what seems like an increasing number of young player loans from the MLS reserve teams (or their academies for that reason). 

100% agree. Also, establishing a stable D2 (which I think will also be national), means that you can implement current CPL roster rules to D2 while relaxing starting quotas and international spots to D1 down the road to increase the level of play.

6 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

The attendance thing is a separate issue but I would leave it up to those behind a would-be team to determine market viability.  There are enough people in Canada's urban centres to support many more teams with attendance levels at 5000.  The trick is finding the right identity and marketing to get them behind a local team. 

I think there was a lot of lessons learned from season 1, which is normal. New teams will learn how to do it right - York 9 are painfully learning from their mistakes 😁

1 hour ago, Ansem said:

Too many misunderstand what he meant here.

To me, it seems like the league would like to avoid a scenario of like having 12 teams out east and 4 out west.

But at best it looks like 6 west and 12 east

West

• Fraser Valley
  • Pacific
  • Cavalry
  • FC Edmonton
  • Saskatoon
  • Valour

You'd need the Roughriders or another investor to express their interest in Regina to bring it to 7 and/or closer/in Vancouver

Besides, once you get pro/rel - that kind of become irrelevant

Ahh, that was me. Thanks for clarifying.
For me I don't care about the split. I just want expansion done right. There has to be a differentiation between professional standards and semi-pro (L10) standards especially when it comes to the Ontario, Quebec, and BC markets. PFC has done it right, where as right now there isn't a difference between Vaughn FC and York9.

So if this KWC team plans to play out of any of the University out there, in the same setup as York9....were trending in the wrong direction. 

Say not to track and field.

17 minutes ago, Shway said:

Ahh, that was me. Thanks for clarifying.
For me I don't care about the split. I just want expansion done right. There has to be a differentiation between professional standards and semi-pro (L10) standards especially when it comes to the Ontario, Quebec, and BC markets. PFC has done it right, where as right now there isn't a difference between Vaughn FC and York9.

So if this KWC team plans to play out of any of the University out there, in the same setup as York9....were trending in the wrong direction. 

Say not to track and field.

I think York 9 (Most specifically McNab) is aware that the 1st impression was a fail and he's trying to address it. The stadium renos will help for sure but their marketing needs to be seriously revamp.

I can tell you that at least 95% of North York had any ideas that York 9 existed and when/where they played. I messaged their sale people and kept give me a bunch of nonsense on why they didn't do more in North York.

York Lions isn't hard to fill - People needs to know you're there.

Not sure if the rumors about Woodbine are true but that team needs to figure out it's identity first. York 9 doesn't work.

If you're York United or something - you can't have it both way

1. Play in North York = Got to pull North York crowd too meaning your identity has to be more inclusive than York 9
  2. Want to keep York 9? Accept that you'll take a lose and move to Vaughan ASAP
  3. Settle for Woodbine? You might have to come to term that you're a TO and/or Etobicoke team and readjust accordingly

McNab said that their data shows that 50% of season tickets are from outside York. You can't be everything to everybody. They have to figure out the identity part or they will keep struggling.

Personally, why they aren't settling to be a North York team is beyond me. Play out of York Lions with long term plans at Downsview - but hey, save it for an ownership who know what they are doing.

KWC - from my understanding, one of the 2 stadiums is getting massive renovation with the pitch being FIFA approved. There was an article about it

https://thecord.ca/laurier-and-university-of-waterloo-to-receive-upgrades-to-their-athletic-facilities/

• “The field itself will be fresh in order to attract major events it will be FIFA and Rugby Canada approved field so we can host local, national and international events, it will have a huge impact we know for hosting things for teams coming into the area, it will help in off time so that we can generate revenue, there’s an economic impact there.”
  • The University of Waterloo will be putting its half of the funding towards enhancing the Columbia Ice Field, a $23 million expansion, while Laurier’s complete reconstruction of the University Stadium will cost the school over $50 million.
Edited by Ansem

1 hour ago, Ansem said:

KWC - from my understanding, one of the 2 stadiums is getting massive renovation with the pitch being FIFA approved. There was an article about it

https://thecord.ca/laurier-and-university-of-waterloo-to-receive-upgrades-to-their-athletic-facilities/

• “The field itself will be fresh in order to attract major events it will be FIFA and Rugby Canada approved field so we can host local, national and international events, it will have a huge impact we know for hosting things for teams coming into the area, it will help in off time so that we can generate revenue, there’s an economic impact there.”
  • The University of Waterloo will be putting its half of the funding towards enhancing the Columbia Ice Field, a $23 million expansion, while Laurier’s complete reconstruction of the University Stadium will cost the school over $50 million.

Here’s hoping UoW is upgrading Warrior Field - that would be very exciting for a CPL team vs Laurier field.

image.jpeg.91e5c64ce445606b638d011cfa1232ac.jpeg

image.jpeg.f933969afbd1de04a9d217b3e69f2334.jpeg

I despise tracks around soccer fields.

18 minutes ago, Shway said:

Here’s hoping UoW is upgrading Warrior Field - that would be very exciting for a CPL team vs Laurier field.

image.jpeg.91e5c64ce445606b638d011cfa1232ac.jpeg

image.jpeg.f933969afbd1de04a9d217b3e69f2334.jpeg

I despise tracks around soccer fields.

I think it will be Laurier but I would expect the track to be removed just like York Lions

34 minutes ago, Fullback said:

They do, it's about 100 metres away. Laurier does not and removing it would leave K-W without much for rubber tracks, with the closest in Cambridge. Would anger a lot of people 

I'm sure part of the revamp of both sports facilities would include new tracks - somewhere else. If it's Laurier, very doubtful CPL will want that

4 minutes ago, Ansem said:

I'm sure part of the revamp of both sports facilities would include new tracks - somewhere else. If it's Laurier, very doubtful CPL will want that

You're guessing though, nowhere in the article does it state that. 

CPL would have to hope that Warrior field gets the upgrade.

• 1 month later...