CPL new teams speculation

11 hours ago, Ansem said:

As long as the Americans don't get their shit together (which they won't for a while), it's politically not possible to reopen the borders - let alone for sports

The American teams will look to get vaccinated ASAP in all sports, and it has nothing to do with the border. You just need to look at all the teams losing players to covid or isolation to know that it just makes sense for them to do so. And once that's done, no reason not to allow them across the border on charter flights.  Fans in the stands is a different issue, but that would impact both MLS and CPL squads. 

8 hours ago, Watchmen said:

The American teams will look to get vaccinated ASAP in all sports, and it has nothing to do with the border. You just need to look at all the teams losing players to covid or isolation to know that it just makes sense for them to do so. And once that's done, no reason not to allow them across the border on charter flights.  Fans in the stands is a different issue, but that would impact both MLS and CPL squads. 

That's why the Raptors new home is in Tampa?

Unless the government provides you with a clear plan ahead of time - they have to plan in advance and get their logistics right. Until there's a clear plan to allow cross-border competition based on what the government(s) (provinces and cities have a massive say on this as well), MLS clubs, just like the Raptors - so will the Jays have no choice put to plan their season with a home venue in the US.

Garber in the press conference was far from being optimistic that MLS clubs will play in Canada

2 hours ago, Ansem said:

That's why the Raptors new home is in Tampa?

Unless the government provides you with a clear plan ahead of time - they have to plan in advance and get their logistics right. Until there's a clear plan to allow cross-border competition based on what the government(s) (provinces and cities have a massive say on this as well), MLS clubs, just like the Raptors - so will the Jays have no choice put to plan their season with a home venue in the US.

Garber in the press conference was far from being optimistic that MLS clubs will play in Canada

The Raptors announced plans for Tampa before the vaccine was announced, and the NBA season will be well underway by the time they realistically get it.  MLS doesn't start until March (which would be about the mid point of this NBA season). I'm aware of Garbers comments, and absolutely there should be plans in place in case they really don't think cross border travel is going to happen. But, I'll still be surprised if it doesn't happen at least later in the year.

If teams can demonstrate that they've had their players and staff vaccinated, there's literally no reason for a government to say they can't play/cross border. Fans in the stands would still be a separate issue.

9 minutes ago, Initial B said:

Is there any chance at all of MLS and CPL reaching an agreement where, for 2021 only, the MTL/TOR/VAN MLS clubs play in CPL for the season until the border COVID issues are settled?

I would love this....

MLS would definitely not like this/want it from a revenue standpoint. Considering all paycheques come from MLS. But the teams would still have home game revenues.

CPL and their clubs would have to be okay with disparity/disadvantage to the team salaries. Although as we’ve seen not much a competitive disadvantage.

CPL teams would benefit as quality/national team players would be playing in their stadiums and they could promote them as such - which would increase sales. Even if it’s for one season.

I would love to see it...did I say that already.

22 minutes ago, Shway said:

I would love this....

MLS would definitely not like this/want it from a revenue standpoint. Considering all paycheques come from MLS. But the teams would still have home game revenues.

CPL and their clubs would have to be okay with disparity/disadvantage to the team salaries. Although as we’ve seen not much a competitive disadvantage.

CPL teams would benefit as quality/national team players would be playing in their stadiums and they could promote them as such - which would increase sales. Even if it’s for one season.

I would love to see it...did I say that already.

There is zero chance this happens. Not just the salaries, but the TV rights and sponsorship deals for the MLS teams would all be contingent on them playing in MLS. I'm also not sure what "sales increase" you think there'd be for the CPL teams. If you think fans are going to be in the stands, then local governments will have lifted a bunch of their regulations. At which point, cross border play is back and there's no need for the MLS teams to play in the CPL anyway. 

Fans in the stands should be allowed at this point in outdoor stadiums with social distancing, masks, etc at a level of at least 25% of stadium capacity. Other sports league's/events have started to bring the fans back in the USA, UK, and others in USL, NFL, MLS etc. Boxing has had two events in the Alamodome, last Saturday and last month (80k capacity roughly and 16k fans allowed in attendance) with no real negative effects resulting.

18 hours ago, Watchmen said:

If teams can demonstrate that they've had their players and staff vaccinated, there's literally no reason for a government to say they can't play/cross border. Fans in the stands would still be a separate issue.

That isn’t true. At this point they don’t know if the vaccine prevents you from getting the virus or if it just prevents you from showing symptoms (but you still have it and can spread it). Until they definitively know that the vaccine prevents spread, they will still take a very cautious approach.  

19 hours ago, Initial B said:

Is there any chance at all of MLS and CPL reaching an agreement where, for 2021 only, the MTL/TOR/VAN MLS clubs play in CPL for the season until the border COVID issues are settled?

Was thinking of that scenario last night.   I would love to see it for one year but there is just too much risk for MLS to let it happen.  Imagine if that scenario materialized and it turned out the 3 MLS sides didn’t see the projected drop in attendance or support.  Plus they might find out that while they are the strongest clubs in the merger, the gulf in talent might not be as wide as they claim.  And I am sure that FIFA would take notice if the sky didn’t fall when all of the Canadian clubs played in the Canadian league.   Given the oft-discussed sanctioning issue, that would be pretty huge. 

In short, MLS just has too much to lose to ever let this happen.  

2 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

That isn’t true. At this point they don’t know if the vaccine prevents you from getting the virus or if it just prevents you from showing symptoms (but you still have it and can spread it). Until they definitively know that the vaccine prevents spread, they will still take a very cautious approach.  

But at what point do we not care anymore than we did prior to 2020? We all take flu shots, to your point the flu is still a thing, lots of people die from the flu all the time. So your right, of course a vaccine won't make covid dissappear. But at what point do we just say whatever and just add it to the long list of things to consider when you leave your house. Its really our choice or should be just like anything else. We're not animals in a zoo. I for one enjoy life and intend to get back to it ASAP

Edited by SpursFlu

20 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

But at what point do we not care anymore than we did prior to 2020? We all take flu shots, to your point the flu is still a thing, lots of people die from the flu all the time. So your right, of course a vaccine won't make covid dissappear. But at what point do we just say whatever and just add it to the long list of things to consider when you leave your house. Its really our choice or should be just like anything else. We're not animals in a zoo. I for one enjoy life and intend to get back to it ASAP

I don’t plan to discuss COVID (and the response to it) with you.  

3 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

Fair comments, but we've still got 3 months to go until the season starts to gather that data, and if the teams take additional precautions (charter flights, isolation in hotels still) on top if being vaccinated, I think it's likely enough to still have cross border play at some point this season even if it's not immediately. 

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

I don’t plan to discuss COVID (and the response to it) with you.  

Neither do I. Im just responding to your point about fans returning in the Spring in relation to us having a vaccine. Yes fans in stadium, ill be there doing my thing. Sorry to disrupt your scary story. Thats my opinion and your entitled to yours

7 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

Wow

I am not a fan of SpursFlu or his posting but I would say that if a Vaccine is 90% or so effective but doesn't prevent the person from getting the virus so they can still potentially spread it, he is right that society will have determine if that is sufficient to go back to a relatively normal way of life as the risk may - and I emphasize may as too early to tell - then be similar to flu or other risks like car accidents.  If you take 10% of the population who are not protected and you apply the same mortality rate of 1% (assuming that sticks for that 10% as it could be higher or lower), you are around 0.1%.  That to me seems an acceptable risk level to resume normal life with still some restrictions in place like wearing masks indoors in crowds, etc. 

20 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

Thats why they get paid. Do I ask them to care about my job

No, but you do ask them to care about your health. When people are reckless with something like a pandemic, it puts unnecessary pressure on them and the health care system and wastes taxpayer dollars.

Personal choices have societal impacts. Deny it all you want, but it's true. 

12 hours ago, An Observer said:

I am not a fan of SpursFlu or his posting but I would say that if a Vaccine is 90% or so effective but doesn't prevent the person from getting the virus so they can still potentially spread it, he is right that society will have determine if that is sufficient to go back to a relatively normal way of life as the risk may - and I emphasize may as too early to tell - then be similar to flu or other risks like car accidents.  If you take 10% of the population who are not protected and you apply the same mortality rate of 1% (assuming that sticks for that 10% as it could be higher or lower), you are around 0.1%.  That to me seems an acceptable risk level to resume normal life with still some restrictions in place like wearing masks indoors in crowds, etc. 

The “wow” was more about the fact that he basically admitted that he didn’t give a shit about the doctors and nurses fighting this outbreak.  More specifically, I am astounded that someone would actually feel the need to put that on the record instead of just staying silent.