CPL new teams speculation

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, CDNFootballer said:

What does it say, or where's the english version?

Chrome was able to translate it for me. It is from early 2019, before the first CPL game was played. A list of candidate cities according to the author. I dint read much of it, but the citie he listed was Ottawa, Saskatoon, Surrey, Laval, Moncton, and St. John’s. Hence the 1 in 6 since Ottawa has since joined.

11 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

As in, he's abandonned the Saskatoon bid or he just happens to be there for other reasons?

He's originally from Ontario and he moved for professional reason. He never lived in Sask. I've heard multiple things about his current intentions for a club, so I will wait for something official to be released on his side.

Semantics note/musings: When we finally do start to get some francophone clubs (I'm looking at you, Montreal, Quebec City and Moncton), I hope that they'll go with a francophone appellation. Personally, I'd love to see them use "Association sportive" à la AS Saint-Étienne or AS Monaco, or maybe "Union sportive" like some of the clubs in the Championnat national. Mostly, I just don't want to see everything branded as "FC ________" in French. I know that plenty of clubs in Ligue 1, Ligue 2, Jupiler Pro League and others use Football Club, Sporting Club, Racing Club, etc., but I can't say I've ever been a fan of that approach in la langue de Molière.  

I know that a number of teams in the PLSQ use "Club de soccer" or "Association de soccer", and the Impact just rebranded to use the term "Club de foot". I do kind of like "Olympique" as well to speak to it being an athletic club (and I think this would be *perfect* for Montreal, as others have pointed out). I just wonder about getting into copyright issues with the IOC. 

I'm sure the CPL will bungle this just as they've bungled most of their other attempts at engaging the francophone fanbase, but for now I'll stay unreasonably optimistic. :)

1 hour ago, m-g-williams said:

Semantics note/musings: When we finally do start to get some francophone clubs (I'm looking at you, Montreal, Quebec City and Moncton), I hope that they'll go with a francophone appellation.

Only a third of Moncton's population is actually francophone (and only just over 40% are bilingual), so an exclusively francophone name there wouldn't make any sense.

A Montreal club ought to have a bilingual name as well (being the most bilingual major city in Canada and all), but Quebec naming laws might discourage them from doing that.

1 hour ago, m-g-williams said:

I know that a number of teams in the PLSQ use "Club de soccer" or "Association de soccer", and the Impact just rebranded to use the term "Club de foot". I do kind of like "Olympique" as well to speak to it being an athletic club (and I think this would be *perfect* for Montreal, as others have pointed out). I just wonder about getting into copyright issues with the IOC.

It might require some sort of license agreement, but the Gatineau Olympiques have never had any trouble, so I doubt it would be an issue if they wanted to use the name. Not to mention that there was an NASL team in Montreal with that exact name in the early 70s: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montreal_Olympique

On 1/13/2021 at 5:35 PM, CPLinsider said:

Speaking of Saskatoon, has anyone heard from Joe Belan recently or is he in Switzerland now?

What?!.....

4tw4wz.jpg

Or is he scouting a utilty midfielder that can play as a defender?

Needing to plug holes in that Swiss cheese defense already!?! 

Come on guys! Play a game first, or at least officially announce a team before you try to fix the team...

9 hours ago, m-g-williams said:

Semantics note/musings: When we finally do start to get some francophone clubs (I'm looking at you, Montreal, Quebec City and Moncton), I hope that they'll go with a francophone appellation. Personally, I'd love to see them use "Association sportive" à la AS Saint-Étienne or AS Monaco, or maybe "Union sportive" like some of the clubs in the Championnat national. Mostly, I just don't want to see everything branded as "FC ________" in French. I know that plenty of clubs in Ligue 1, Ligue 2, Jupiler Pro League and others use Football Club, Sporting Club, Racing Club, etc., but I can't say I've ever been a fan of that approach in la langue de Molière.  

I'm sure the CPL will bungle this just as they've bungled most of their other attempts at engaging the francophone fanbase, but for now I'll stay unreasonably optimistic. :)

Sorry my friend, but when a club has Sportif or Sportive in its name, it is because it's a multisport club, not only soccer (football. SInce the multisport clubs arent really the usual clubs (MLSE), I dont see it happening :)

17 hours ago, mtlsab said:

Sorry my friend, but when a club has Sportif or Sportive in its name, it is because it's a multisport club, not only soccer (football. SInce the multisport clubs arent really the usual clubs (MLSE), I dont see it happening :)

Ahh, je ne le savais pas. Chuis un francophile autoproclamé mais comme le français n'est pas ma langue maternelle il reste toujours des nuances qui m'échappent. Merci pour la clarification ! 

Really want to see a Mississauga and Québec team

Sask could support one too, passionate and proud locals as we’ve seen with other sports teams

Mississauga has enough football/soccer fans and identity to support one for sure imo, willing investors from Ive heard, only problem seems to be location for a stadium

for Québec, Montréal/Laval or Québec City? I prefer the latter personally

Edited by Filip

29 minutes ago, CPLinsider said:

Interesting post this morning from the Montréal Manic, seeking investors for a CPL team and a 5,000-8,000 seat amphitheatre. Possible interest from Rangers FC to invest in CPL or just hot air?

https://www.patreon.com/posts/46734489

If I remember the Manic were originally the Montreal Rangers FA, part of Glasgow Rangers.

The Manic was originally the name I grew up with when I started to play and have an interest in soccer. Long before the Impact and now CF Montreal.  As the reach for this academy extends to Montreal and Laval,  I would not be surprised if the 5000 to 8000 seat ampitheatre is placed in Laval  (as long as it is near the Laval stops on the Orange line).  But then what is the future for Alex Bunbury group who wanted to bring a CPL team to Laval??

As I see that you support FC London, do you see this team also being in the CPL??