CPL new teams speculation

34 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

And many connections to Spain.

Many many many men, back when the Raptors had Collangelo trying to play EuroBall in the NBA with Garbajosa, Calderon, Bargani, Delfino, and Roko Ukic

...But back on topic. Because this thread has lost its meaning.

7 minutes ago, Shway said:

Many many many men, back when the Raptors had Collangelo trying to play EuroBall in the NBA with Garbajosa, Calderon, Bargani, Delfino, and Roko Ukic

...But back on topic. Because this thread has lost its meaning.

Loved Jose, one of my fav Raps of all time. Jose Hustle

18 hours ago, BuzzAndSting said:

And many connections to Spain.

Spain is a major basketball nation, at the gym I see shirts from all teams. And the classic players. And Raptors retro gear. 

He's arguing bs regardless, fans like Raptors name and gear worldwide, and after the win even more (4th most sold team in 2020). Which is why fans can connect with pretty well anything and are not as sectarian and bull headed as is being suggested. 

5 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Spain is a major basketball nation, at the gym I see shirts from all teams. And the classic players. And Raptors retro gear. 

He's arguing bs regardless, fans like Raptors name and gear worldwide, and after the win even more (4th most sold team in 2020). Which is why fans can connect with pretty well anything and are not as sectarian and bull headed as is being suggested. 

The Raptors cracked the top 5 for the first time ever after winning the NBA Championship.  I've already agreed that winning matters a lot, and this result bares that out.  And again, they changed the logo.  If the logo wasn't an issue that aged poorly, they wouldn't have bothered to change it.

You're right, fans can connect with pretty well anything.  As long as the team wins.

Edited by Watchmen

12 hours ago, Watchmen said:

The Raptors cracked the top 5 for the first time ever after winning the NBA Championship.  I've already agreed that winning matters a lot, and this result bares that out.  And again, they changed the logo.  If the logo wasn't an issue that aged poorly, they wouldn't have bothered to change it.

You're right, fans can connect with pretty well anything.  As long as the team wins.

Si you think they changed the Juventus logo because it was outdated and fans were tiring of it? 

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Si you think they changed the Juventus logo because it was outdated and fans were tiring of it? 

I mean, they seem to think that:

"Although they were conscious that moving away from the existing crest would risk angering longstanding supporters, the radical redesign chimed with their desire to extend the club's reach into new markets."

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2867681-rebranding-juventus-how-a-new-logo-and-ronaldo-has-changed-everything

There's obviously more to it than that.  And they don't seem to have cared that it would anger old fans.  But yeah, they did it to attract new fans and didn't think the old logo could do that.  I think they've also admitted that they changed their kits from the black and white stripes because Americans thought of them as "referee uniforms"

6 hours ago, Watchmen said:

I mean, they seem to think that:

"Although they were conscious that moving away from the existing crest would risk angering longstanding supporters, the radical redesign chimed with their desire to extend the club's reach into new markets."

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2867681-rebranding-juventus-how-a-new-logo-and-ronaldo-has-changed-everything

There's obviously more to it than that.  And they don't seem to have cared that it would anger old fans.  But yeah, they did it to attract new fans and didn't think the old logo could do that.  I think they've also admitted that they changed their kits from the black and white stripes because Americans thought of them as "referee uniforms"

You are a living 3D example of begging the question.

Okay, edit to try to get back on topic.....

One question I have is with such a short symbolic season, does CPL lose a major impetus for future expansion? Wouldn't the league actually benefit from staying at 8 teams in 2021, so that those surviving 2020 can get full benefit from Mediapro funds and a hopefully expanding market, merchandising and sponsor set-up?

Or is a post Covid scenario more conducive to expansion?

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

I would think it would short term hurt expansion chances.  Much like I doubt we'll see new airlines, or movie theatre chains start up right away, people will be wary.  But your average captain of industry, multi millionare doesnt think like a regular goober like myself.  In fact they usually think the opposite, so maybe if there is some kind of leverage to be used on the CPL to concessions, ie get expansion fees down etc, there might be someone willing to jump in for next year.  Geesh  I'm starting to sound like TGA Star.  

14 hours ago, Bison44 said:

I would think it would short term hurt expansion chances.  Much like I doubt we'll see new airlines, or movie theatre chains start up right away, people will be wary.  But your average captain of industry, multi millionare doesnt think like a regular goober like myself.  In fact they usually think the opposite, so maybe if there is some kind of leverage to be used on the CPL to concessions, ie get expansion fees down etc, there might be someone willing to jump in for next year.  Geesh  I'm starting to sound like TGA Star.  

The old adage “buy low, sell high” requires the testicular fortitude to actually buy when things are bleak.  I am not sure how that translates into start-up sports teams and a depressed global economy but I am sure there will be people seeking to take advantage of any opportunity they can.   

12 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

The old adage “buy low, sell high” requires the testicular fortitude to actually buy when things are bleak.  I am not sure how that translates into start-up sports teams and a depressed global economy but I am sure there will be people seeking to take advantage of any opportunity they can.   

I would think that the "buy low" would be targeting one of the existing clubs, where an owner might be struggling financially (either with the club or with his other businesses).  I'm not saying any of the CPL owners are in that spot, just that's where your buy low scenario applies.

13 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

I'm thinking if Sask group wanted to trim a couple million of the expansion fee, now might be the time, Clanahan will be wanting a cash infusion.  Or more likely, they'll be itching for a team in "la belle" province, and try to spur one of those groups on with a discount rate.  

On 6/19/2020 at 12:07 PM, Senorpopps said:

What are the 2 clubs from British football who don’t take their name from their geographic entity? Crystal Palace is one. What’s the other?

Arsenal and Port Vale. There are other teams that are named after a location within the city like Queens Park Rangers, Crystal Palace, Aston Villa and Everton to name a few.

On 6/19/2020 at 11:29 PM, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Linfield, Glentoran, Cliftonville, Distillery, Crusaders, Glenavon, Shamrock Rovers, Shelbourne, St Patrick's Athletic, Home Farm and Bohemians in both parts of the island of Ireland as well. Names like that are part of the early history of our sport but I think it's a valid criticism that having the city name in there is important in the North American sports environment when you are a niche product struggling for visibility.

ahh a Irish football fan.I am a Shelbourne fan and my Dad still writes for their program.
https://shelbournefc.ie/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/Shelbourne-Dundalk-FEB21.pdf
Pat Cordelle.
Its great to see them mentioned on here

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Macksam said:

Don't know what to make of this but Kurt edited his original tweet, which IIRC stated that there were rumors circulating about this happening from a Turkish news source, I think. 

He might transition as Manager and that's more likely to happen in CPL.

As for Mississauga, still waiting on the city studying the stadium construction possibilities.

21 hours ago, grasshopper1917 said:

Well if 'Sauga City' is anything like their neighbors in York a 3000 seat stadium may be more appropriate   lol

Depends on the variables at play, location, player signings, grass root efforts, etc.

• 1 month later...
34 minutes ago, yothat2 said:

If there an professional basketball team in Fraser Valley .. why couldn't soccer work 

I feel like a lot less goes into running a basketball team vs professional soccer team. Just the number of players on a roster for one is completely different.

2 hours ago, yothat2 said:

If there an professional basketball team in Fraser Valley .. why couldn't soccer work 

1) If you like basketball, there's literally no other professional basketball in the area.

2) They played fewer games, with fewer players. So your costs are even lower.

Edit: The leagues salary cap is $6000 per team per game.  With a 20 game season, that's $120,000 for your season.  Significantly lower than the CPL. 

3) They still only averaged 1,900 fans a game.

4) It's been one season (plus this covid year).  Let's see how long it actually works.

Edited by Watchmen