CPL new teams speculation

40 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

One positive about expansion during COVID times is that the problem of finding a ground for some of these cities is all but eliminated (for the time being). A team that may not be able to get a ground until 2022 (or 2023) can now fast forward.

Wait, why's that? Specifically Quebec?
How does stadium situations appear because of COVID? 

I hope these were always planned and not rushed situations that looked like York9

I think (hope) we're going to see a very much more normal summer/fall 2021.  Graduating fans back into the stands as the season gets on.  It's going to feel weird but it's going to happen if the vaccinations make their way into the general public sooner rather than later.  

And there's the tough part for the league planners, how soon will vaccinations become available and how widespread will they be accepted?

BTW, Wanderers supporters have to be the 2nd happiest people in CanPLdom if this Quebec news proves true.  

18 hours ago, Cheeta said:

I think (hope) we're going to see a very much more normal summer/fall 2021.  Graduating fans back into the stands as the season gets on.  It's going to feel weird but it's going to happen if the vaccinations make their way into the general public sooner rather than later.  

And there's the tough part for the league planners, how soon will vaccinations become available and how widespread will they be accepted?

BTW, Wanderers supporters have to be the 2nd happiest people in CanPLdom if this Quebec news proves true.  

Although they've made numerous missteps during their response to the pandemic the CFL has announced their 2021 schedule and all teams are planning to play in their home stadiums. There's no indication of whether fans will be allowed in the stands but the idea that teams will be travelling is positive as it would have been decided in consultation with government and health authorities. I assume at this point the CPL is planning a similar undertaking. Fingers crossed.

In terms of a vaccine, it's likely to be distributed to the general public closer to the end of 2021 so I don't think it will factor into CPL decisions.

3 hours ago, BuzzAndSting said:

Although they've made numerous missteps during their response to the pandemic the CFL has announced their 2021 schedule and all teams are planning to play in their home stadiums. There's no indication of whether fans will be allowed in the stands but the idea that teams will be travelling is positive as it would have been decided in consultation with government and health authorities. I assume at this point the CPL is planning a similar undertaking. Fingers crossed.

In terms of a vaccine, it's likely to be distributed to the general public closer to the end of 2021 so I don't think it will factor into CPL decisions.

It is sounding like the vaccines are getting pretty close to roll-out.  Hopefully there will be a first wave in the first quarter of 2021.  After that, a lot will depend on how quickly they can churn it out (and how much clout the biggest counties use to commandeer as much as they can).   I am hoping it isn’t the Wild West once again like we saw with PPE but you never know.   

Damn it would be nice if these things work as advertised and we start to get back to life as normal.   

On 5/15/2017 at 10:22 AM, Macksam said:

They left the NASL because of "high costs" so I doubt we see them in here right now. That group does not have the passion for the sport to undertake this. When the league stabilizes and becomes a sound investment, we could see them at that point but maybe another option for the city might come as well.

It’s the risk they have to take to increase league profile 

expansion needs to focus on Quebec they need the francophone presence to make it a Canadian league 

2 hours ago, top cheese said:

expansion needs to focus on Quebec they need the francophone presence to make it a Canadian league 

Plus Quebec has a relatively deep talent pool that is not fully tapped and with two additional professional sides, could certainly nurture more with a large immigrant population.  I am more excited about the focus here than on Sask or Lower Mainland or even southern Ontario as we need more sides in Quebec for the reason I stated above.

19 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

It is sounding like the vaccines are getting pretty close to roll-out.  Hopefully there will be a first wave in the first quarter of 2021.  After that, a lot will depend on how quickly they can churn it out (and how much clout the biggest counties use to commandeer as much as they can).   I am hoping it isn’t the Wild West once again like we saw with PPE but you never know.   

Damn it would be nice if these things work as advertised and we start to get back to life as normal.   

Just to add. The Canadian government has secured contracts for 3 million vaccines to be delivered in January and is aiming to have vaccines available for all Canadians by the end of 2021. Work has already begun including the delivery of immunization supplies across the country but the full roll out plan won't be released until early December. The government has contracts for tens of millions of vaccines and the Quebec based company working on their vaccine is getting close. We'll have a much clearer picture soon assuming of course that the vaccine manufacturers follow through on their contracts and they prove to be effective. 

On 11/25/2020 at 2:52 PM, top cheese said:

Its already a Canadian League of course but adding clubs in good markets with strong ownership groups is of utmost importance and Quebec will likely be having at least one club in the CPL in the near future.

On 11/26/2020 at 8:29 AM, BuzzAndSting said:

Just to add. The Canadian government has secured contracts for 3 million vaccines to be delivered in January and is aiming to have vaccines available for all Canadians by the end of 2021. Work has already begun including the delivery of immunization supplies across the country but the full roll out plan won't be released until early December. The government has contracts for tens of millions of vaccines and the Quebec based company working on their vaccine is getting close. We'll have a much clearer picture soon assuming of course that the vaccine manufacturers follow through on their contracts and they prove to be effective. 

To update. The immunization plan has been published for those interested. I have not had a chance to review.

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/publications/diseases-conditions/covid-19-immunization-plan.html

On 12/7/2020 at 5:53 PM, BuzzAndSting said:

To update. The immunization plan has been published for those interested. I have not had a chance to review.

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/publications/diseases-conditions/covid-19-immunization-plan.html

There is nothing there besides certain expected steps related to the logistics of the roll-out.

Priority goes to 3 million Canadians, either high-risk for demography or high-risk for exposure (ie health professionals). Provinces implement, as do Indigenous communities, the armed forces.

What I find interesting is that they are trying to sign deals with all the companies into the advanced stages of testing, namely Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna, Astrazeneca (Oxford), and others. CanSino from China has National Research Council backing, btw. This may seem reasonable, although they are very different kinds of vaccines, with their own characteristics, testing has been rushed and could be giving not fully reliable results. So we are probably going to go into this with a mix of vaccines, each requiring separate monitoring procedures, and then we'll have to properly sample results, to see which are working best over the vaccination period. And then filter again for the second round of vaccinations, if necessary, come late 2021-early 2022.

Personally, I am eager to get back into stadiums to watch football, at any level. If this gives us most of an MLS or CPL season, say from mid-Spring on, fabulous.

39 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

ersonally, I am eager to get back into stadiums to watch football, at any level. If this gives us most of an MLS or CPL season, say from mid-Spring on, fabulous.

2021 could be big year for CPL if fans are allowed back in the stadiums by April. Since it's unlikely the Canadian government will allow cross-border teams to travel back and forth, the only way to watch soccer live in Canada might be via CPL.

You'd have to think that if there was ever an opportunity for Quebec teams to get in and take advantage of Montreal Impact absence and establish Montreal vs Quebec City rivalry - 2021 would be it.

In that sense...I can see why the league isn't closing the door to Quebec expansion in 2021

How many people would need vaccines per MLS team to let them relatively safely travel around city to city?? Obviously these guys are not priority but you could get the players and travelling staff done and it would let the cross border leagues get over a big hurdle.  Maybe 40-50 people per team??  I guess it all depends on timing and amount of vaccine available.  

45 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

How many people would need vaccines per MLS team to let them relatively safely travel around city to city?? Obviously these guys are not priority but you could get the players and travelling staff done and it would let the cross border leagues get over a big hurdle.  Maybe 40-50 people per team??  I guess it all depends on timing and amount of vaccine available.  

As long as the Americans don't get their shit together (which they won't for a while), it's politically not possible to reopen the borders - let alone for sports

Edited by Ansem

I thought sports teams/atheletes were already excempt from the closed border orders.  I'm not far from the border in MB and people are crossing it everyday for all sorts of reasons.  Of course we are getting almost as bad as North dakota, sooo its prob a bad idea.  

1 hour ago, Ansem said:

2021 could be big year for CPL if fans are allowed back in the stadiums by April. Since it's unlikely the Canadian government will allow cross-border teams to travel back and forth, the only way to watch soccer live in Canada might be via CPL.

You'd have to think that if there was ever an opportunity for Quebec teams to get in and take advantage of Montreal Impact absence and establish Montreal vs Quebec City rivalry - 2021 would be it.

In that sense...I can see why the league isn't closing the door to Quebec expansion in 2021

This is a very great perspective. I agree with it all. 

Even more reason why York rebranding right now is....a good thing. I'm guaranteeing it will be better. It's a great opportunity to gain new eyes, new first impressions and most importantly fans. I can't stress how the overall experience needs to be better/professional. That way, fans come and want to stay.

That is very necessary for any new teams wanting to play in MLS territories, and be successful. I think it's the off-field product that needs to be ready to compete rather than the on-field. Forge has done a great job of both!

Also, not sure what the league is doing but there would never be a better time for a Fraser Valley club than 2021 when the Whitecaps will be in exil.

Hoping thaf they are working hard to convince investors that 2021 is the time when they won't have to compete with MLS for fans which should be a great selling point