CPL new teams speculation

Linfield, Glentoran, Cliftonville, Distillery, Crusaders, Glenavon, Shamrock Rovers, Shelbourne, St Patrick's Athletic, Home Farm and Bohemians in both parts of the island of Ireland as well. Names like that are part of the early history of our sport but I think it's a valid criticism that having the city name in there is important in the North American sports environment when you are a niche product struggling for visibility.

On 6/19/2020 at 4:17 PM, SthMelbRed said:

This whole idea of clubs' names being independent of the home cities is the height of stupidity. It's something that some moronic hipster came up with, thinking it was authentically European. The reality is that only 2 clubs in the top 4 English divisions don't incorporate their geographic home in their name. Their are only a handful of others in the totality of the German, Italian, Spanish, and French top flights. 

One day, when the above-mentioned idiot has been fired, all clubs will inevitably partially re-brand to include their home towns in their names.

Ironically, most of the club names sound good when you include the cities.

Victoria Pacific FC, Winnipeg Valour, Hamilton Forge all sound good. Edmonton, Ottawa, York, and HFX already use their homes in the name. Cavalry is just ****, whether you attempt to include Calgary in the name, or not.

I'm not bothered by a name not referring to a place. I like many quite enjoy how the CPL has done things.

In Spain, in top flight right now, you have Espanyol, Levante, Osasuna, Betis, Real Sociedad, Athletic Club. Although some may have a longer official name, for example for the last decade or more Espanyol is officially Real Club Espanyol de Barcelona. Alavés is a reference to the province of Alaba (Alava), the province where the team from Vitoria is from. So that is a third of Spain top flight.

In 2nd division there is only one, Numancia, referring to the ancient name of Soria. Rayo Vallecano refers to the neighbourhood of Vallecas in Madrid.

10 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I'm not bothered by a name not referring to a place. I like many quite enjoy how the CPL has done things.

In Spain, in top flight right now, you have Espanyol, Levante, Osasuna, Betis, Real Sociedad, Athletic Club. Although some may have a longer official name, for example for the last decade or more Espanyol is officially Real Club Espanyol de Barcelona. Alavés is a reference to the province of Alaba (Alava), the province where the team from Vitoria is from. So that is a third of Spain top flight.

In 2nd division there is only one, Numancia, referring to the ancient name of Soria. Rayo Vallecano refers to the neighbourhood of Vallecas in Madrid.

I've always referred to them as Athletic Bilbao, as seems to be the case throughout the English-speaking, so included them in the 'place in names' group. Did not know that about Alaves.

9 hours ago, Rocket Robin said:

And just two years ago this group was complaining about '(City Name) (animal name)'.   

"Oh don't be like every other North American league."

"Hey a big game coming up...FC United vs United FC.   Really important as United is four points ahead of United. I hope the craft beer is cold."  

Astonishing really. This group has always had consensus on everything else

Edited by Aird25

In this age of everyone thinks that their opinion is super important, there will be complainers about everything.  I dont particularly like the CPL style but I wouldnt want a pile of Real this, United this and every team being FC etc.  We know the other clubs names because they've been around forever (Aston Villa/Arsenal etc).  People will get used to it as we get more seasons behind us.  Non fans will figure it out that Pacific is from BC, Wanderers are from Halifax and the stubble jumpers are from Saskatoon.  Oops, a bit early on that last one.  

1 hour ago, Bison44 said:

In this age of everyone thinks that their opinion is super important, there will be complainers about everything.  I dont particularly like the CPL style but I wouldnt want a pile of Real this, United this and every team being FC etc.  We know the other clubs names because they've been around forever (Aston Villa/Arsenal etc).  People will get used to it as we get more seasons behind us.  Non fans will figure it out that Pacific is from BC, Wanderers are from Halifax and the stubble jumpers are from Saskatoon.  Oops, a bit early on that last one.  

People might get used to it, but it doesn't make a name better.  Raptors is still a terrible 90's name that didn't age well at all.

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Yeah, so many people refused come out to celebrate the NBA title because of that terrible name. 

Winning trumps everything, and again, people might be used to it.  That doesn't make it a good name.  Hell, they changed the logo because it was so bad.

3 hours ago, Watchmen said:

Winning trumps everything, and again, people might be used to it.  That doesn't make it a good name.  Hell, they changed the logo because it was so bad.

Have they fully disassociated themselves from Barney the dinosaur, then?

19 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

Have they fully disassociated themselves from Barney the dinosaur, then?

I'm not a fan, so I couldn't tell you for sure.  But a quick scan of their merchandise line makes it seem like it's been phased out except for some "throw back" style items.  Could be wrong on that though.  I think the mascot is still Barney, but I'm not going to hold that against them.

On 6/22/2020 at 4:27 AM, Watchmen said:

Which is why Raptors retro gear is hugely successful, I see it all over the place in Barcelona, and it is all over Canada in fact, so there you are: home and abroad. But keep trying.

17 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Which is why Raptors retro gear is hugely successful, I see it all over the place in Barcelona, and it is all over Canada in fact, so there you are: home and abroad. But keep trying.

It was a logo they used for a long time.  It makes sense there's a lot of gear out there, that people are wearing after the team has won the championship.