CPL new teams speculation

13 hours ago, dnina10 said:

If you don't mind me asking, which club does this season ticket rep represent?

I'm starting to get that feeling as well. About a month ago I actually met David Clanachan face to face at one of Forge FC's games (turns out like me he has season tickets to Forge FC). That was the very question I asked him with regards to expansion. Unfortunately, he gave me the exact same thing we always hear from him. It's frankly starting to get boring. Just tell us whether or not there will be an eighth team next year. I listened to the clip posted earlier, and he mentions that if he was to be paid a buck for every time someone asks him a question regarding expansion, he could retire again. The wait goes on...

York 9 FC

7 minutes ago, deschamp86 said:

Do the students really factor in though? Most of the season takes place outside of the school year. They didn't seem to do anything for York's attendance

For Waterloo they should because between the 3 schools there's a lot of summer students, international students and people that stay in Waterloo because they consider it more fun than home

5 minutes ago, KW519 said:

For Waterloo they should because between the 3 schools there's a lot of summer students, international students and people that stay in Waterloo because they consider it more fun than home

Thought this could be the case. I spent a year on campus at York and it felt more like a prison lol

2 hours ago, The Real Marc said:

I'm surprised. Have we ever taken stock of how many people have been driven away from the board by excessive positivity from happy clappers and lack of critical analysis?

If the goal is to have a booster board, have a booster board.

Are you serious??  You think people get angry at happy positive posts??  I guess some people would rather have people scowl at them instead of smile??  Do you block people that say happy things??  

2 hours ago, The Real Marc said:

I'm surprised. Have we ever taken stock of how many people have been driven away from the board by excessive positivity from happy clappers and lack of critical analysis?

If the goal is to have a booster board, have a booster board.

There's a difference between being critical and taking screenshots of Ticketmaster and OneSoccer highlight feeds to count empty seats

3 hours ago, Ansem said:

Possible solution for Kitchener-Waterloo? 

Please click on the link, but here is the most relevant part of the article.

"WLU's vision for its stadium enhancement includes a winter bubble dome to allow for year-round use of the field; a new team headquarters, including a double gym, wellness centre, and dressing rooms; facility upgrades such as new artificial turf, a video board, sound and lighting systems, and a press box; and an improved fan experience including a new grandstand, a patio lounge, a new concession stand and accessible washrooms.

The staff report states that "the stadium project will provide the community of Waterloo with increased community recreation access to a major sports field stadium, while also addressing one of the current major gaps existing within the Region for major event (and) bid attraction." "

The bubble doesn't sound relevant for a pro team, but improving the dressing rooms, adding a video board, improving sound and lighting systems and a press box. A new grandstand (not sure if this is adding to what's there or replacing), and concessions also could be done with an eye to pro sports.

6 hours ago, The Real Marc said:

This is all so silly. I really can't imagine someone has quit the Board because of Ozzie. I mean, the baord has ignore functions and he posts pretty much in five key topics and that's it.

Don't kid yourself. Numerous posters I know have quit this board because of BBTB/Ozzie.

Not one person in the Calgary supporters scene is here, unless we count @Obinna who isn't in the supporters scene but attends games. I only come back here when I find it is imperative to counter BBTB/Ozzie's negativity with actual information.

The ignore function doesn't work when they dominate the discussion. The only answer is a ban, but that very clearly isn't happening. And that is why this place is a lost cause to so many who are actually supporting this game in the stands.

And as much as censorship should be discouraged, that does not mean its occasional use cannot be a benefit. When trying to build any organization, there will be people who will be barriers to the growth of that group, even if they not broken any rules. If you let those people be barriers then you will fail. I've had to do it in my own supporters group. And if you haven't noticed we've had about 2000% growth in the last year.

32 minutes ago, Kent said:

The staff report states that "the stadium project will provide the community of Waterloo with increased community recreation access to a major sports field stadium, while also addressing one of the current major gaps existing within the Region for major event (and) bid attraction." "

Looks very promising for CanPL but the big things to watch now are how they handle the question of markings on the playing surface and how easy access would be in September and October, if there is an intramural sports component involved as well as U-sports.

1 hour ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Looks very promising for CanPL but the big things to watch now are how they handle the question of markings on the playing surface and how easy access would be in September and October, if there is an intramural sports component involved as well as U-sports.

Laurier intramurals are played at the Alumni footy field on King St and UW play at Columbia fields. The stadium is used mainly for football and track and field events in the region 

3 hours ago, shermanator said:

Don't kid yourself. Numerous posters I know have quit this board because of BBTB/Ozzie.

Not one person in the Calgary supporters scene is here, unless we count @Obinna who isn't in the supporters scene but attends games. I only come back here when I find it is imperative to counter BBTB/Ozzie's negativity with actual information.

The ignore function doesn't work when they dominate the discussion. The only answer is a ban, but that very clearly isn't happening. And that is why this place is a lost cause to so many who are actually supporting this game in the stands.

And as much as censorship should be discouraged, that does not mean its occasional use cannot be a benefit. When trying to build any organization, there will be people who will be barriers to the growth of that group, even if they not broken any rules. If you let those people be barriers then you will fail. I've had to do it in my own supporters group. And if you haven't noticed we've had about 2000% growth in the last year.

Toss him

9 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Are you serious??  You think people get angry at happy positive posts??  I guess some people would rather have people scowl at them instead of smile??  Do you block people that say happy things??  

4 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

Nah. He's just a ****.

3 hours ago, Lofty said:

Aren't parrots famous for repeating the same thing over and over again?

It wasn't until just now that I realized the rather delicious irony in his new username. 😁

See, here's the thing.  The answer is yes: I've very definitely left the board at times because the "happy positive" posters spend so much time shitting on someone.  That I have to wade through pages of attacks on him at times just to find anything worth reading.  And yeah, some of what he posts is garbage.  But at the same time, this board doesn't always seem to want to have a critical discussion on the CPL or issues around it.  Issues are brushed aside with "just be happy it exists" or "it's only year 1 so don't worry they'll definitely have it solved soon".  I get that it's exciting to have teams across Canada now.  I'm thrilled that people across the country now have their own local teams to cheer for.  But the board also definitely exists in a bubble where critical discussion doesn't always seem welcome.  So yeah, I can definitely see people leaving because of "happy" posters.

17 minutes ago, Lofty said:

There is a world of difference between critical discussion and pushing an agenda.

Do we really need screenshots of a sparse crowd from almost every single CPL match in order to make the point that announced attendance has typically been higher than actual attendance? Do you really call that "critical discussion"? You have spent a lot more time wading through crap like that than you have on two sentence quips like mine relating his username to his penchant for repeating the same arguments ad nauseam.

I have seen lots of critical discussion and the fact that others may disagree with a criticism does not make the criticism "unwelcome".

I mean, I'd point out that there's also an element here pushing the agenda of "everything the CPL does is great and there's nothing to worry about". 😉

And you're right I find the crowd shot of sparse crowds for *every* game to be a bit much.  But you know what else?  I can see when that's what he's done and skip it.  When every 2 sentence quip afterwards is people shitting on him, that ends up being a lot more to sift through.  Because I'm looking for where the discussion is and it's not there.  Hell, I'm contributing to the clutter problem right now and I hate myself for it.

4 minutes ago, Lofty said:

I don't think anybody here thinks that. I have seen lots of criticism of CPL decisions and I'm sure you have too.

The problem here is with a particular poster, not criticism of CPL, and I'm a little bit surprised to see you (or anybody other than the poster himself) trying to spin it that way.

Well, maybe it's just me then, though I know a few people who don't bother coming to the board because of it (which was part of the original discussion).  I just know I've held back posting criticisms of the CPL at times because I felt like it was wanted, or had too many responses be along the lines of "It's only year one. You can't criticize that."  Which is true sometimes, but not always.

9 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

Well, maybe it's just me then, though I know a few people who don't bother coming to the board because of it (which was part of the original discussion).  I just know I've held back posting criticisms of the CPL at times because I felt like it was wanted, or had too many responses be along the lines of "It's only year one. You can't criticize that."  Which is true sometimes, but not always.

That sounds like your run of the mill 2 guys thinking differently about something.  And we are all adults, no big deal.  But if you think what he does, or is doing on about 3-4 threads right now is the same thing...well I dont know what to say.  I dont know about everyone else, but I dont ignore him just on principle, but its hard not to respond.  I didnt realise that the repsonse to his toxic posts can actually be more annoying to some than his blatant trolling.  He has me on ignore anyway so I guess why even bother eh??  

9 hours ago, KW519 said:

Laurier intramurals are played at the Alumni footy field on King St and UW play at Columbia fields. The stadium is used mainly for football and track and field events in the region 

The thing to watch is whether that will that still be the case after the renovations. The winter bubble angle strongly suggests there will be an intramural angle at the very least over the winter months. Very much hope K/W happens because it is exactly the type of market that is most likely to repeat the Halifax experience given the lack of other pro sports in the summer, but if what happened in London with TD Waterhouse stadium is anything to go by, it's not safe to assume that soccer is automatically going to be a big part of their plans. The best thing to do is carefully watch how it all unfolds and send lots of feedback advocating pro soccer compatibility if/when there is an opportunity to do so.

21 hours ago, deschamp86 said:

There's a difference between being critical and taking screenshots of Ticketmaster and OneSoccer highlight feeds to count empty seats

Why? Because that supports an argument that people don't want to hear? Don't get me wrong, I think counting ticketmaster is a waste of time. It's actually really freaking weird. But it's topical and not trolling.

I'm honestly surprised to hear that people have left this messageboard because of him. It seems a bit weak. On the scale of internet messageboard awfulness, this place is an A++ and Ozzie is no more than a minor irritant. I can think of more important reasons to ditch a messageboard but I guess some people are not looking for discussion and that's a-ok. Personally, I'd rather have one or two Ozzies to dilute the bucketful of happy clappers but that's maybe just me.

To each their own, I guess. But to ban him would be silly, and say more about those that can't tear themselves way from getting after him than it does about him, really.

Edited by The Real Marc