CPL new teams speculation

https://northerntribune.ca/halifax-wanderers-2020-season-update/

"With expansion bids in Quebec City, Saskatoon, and Montreal all looking more likely for 2021 than next year, however, the CPL may soldier on with the same seven clubs next season.

Derek Martin guessed that fans would hear about expansion teams soon, with the caveat that they’d all be slated for 2021."

CPL commish pleased with first year of soccer for Canadians

https://nationalpost.com/sports/soccer/cpl-commish-pleased-with-first-year-of-soccer-for-canadians/wcm/b12badb9-90df-435a-a355-91fe61575cc4

The original seven teams appear to be in good health, as does the league.

Expansion is at hand — think Fraser Valley, Mississauga and Ottawa — so growth is inevitable

On 11/1/2019 at 9:34 AM, Stouffvillain said:

https://northerntribune.ca/halifax-wanderers-2020-season-update/

"With expansion bids in Quebec City, Saskatoon, and Montreal all looking more likely for 2021 than next year, however, the CPL may soldier on with the same seven clubs next season.

2 minutes ago, CDNFootballer said:

https://nationalpost.com/sports/soccer/cpl-commish-pleased-with-first-year-of-soccer-for-canadians/wcm/b12badb9-90df-435a-a355-91fe61575cc4

Expansion is at hand — think Fraser Valley, Mississauga and Ottawa — so growth is inevitable

I love how each article lists three expansion cities and can't agree on a single one.

51 minutes ago, CDNFootballer said:

CPL commish pleased with first year of soccer for Canadians...

The NSL started as far back as the 1920s. There has been professional soccer for Canadians of some description for a very long time. Some NSL teams were able to draw crowds as large as CanPL was managing in southern Ontario this year and were even making a bit of a splash in CONCACAF competition back in the 1970s. There is nothing new under the sun as the saying goes. CanPL should choose their next steps carefully. Would have thought that supporting next summer's soccer series in Saskatoon with a promise of direct CanPL involvement this time with a view to a 2021 launch would make for a good announcement.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

22 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

The NSL started as far back as the 1920s. There has been professional soccer for Canadians of some description for a very long time. Some NSL teams were able to draw crowds as large as CanPL was managing in southern Ontario this year and were even making a bit of a splash in CONCACAF competition back in the 1970s. There is nothing new under the sun as the saying goes. CanPL should choose their next steps carefully. Would have thought that supporting next summer's soccer series in Saskatoon with a promise of direct CanPL involvement this time with a view to a 2021 launch would make for a good announcement.

Did he actually say that? Looks like you are over analyzing the headline. It was not a direct quote

Edited by narduch
Typo

http://www.sportspromedia.com/news/canadian-premier-league-expansion-david-clanachan-commissioner

Quote: "The commissioner added that the league expects to make an expansion announcement before the end of November."

Are there any insiders out there that can validate this? I know that you're out there lurking  😉 . 

And when I say 'validate', I mean confirmation that he will announce at least one new club for 2020 or 2021, and not confirmation that there is nothing to confirm. 

21 minutes ago, Stouffvillain said:

The draft is this weekend in Montreal.  An announcement on expansion into Quebec would be a good way to kick things off is the stadium issue is resolved. 

Totally agree, If the stadium deal is done, I don't see what's stopping Quebec City from starting in 2020 IF it's at PEPS Laval University

As you can see, there's lots of land if the team ever decides to build a soccer specific stadium

pavillon-de-leducation-physique-et-des-s

3 hours ago, Ansem said:

Totally agree, If the stadium deal is done, I don't see what's stopping Quebec City from starting in 2020 IF it's at PEPS Laval University

IMHO I think it is too late at this point for any team to be joining in 2020 other than the Fury (should they choose to do so). 

Pacific was the last team to be announced last year in late July, and even then it seemed like a lot of teams were rushing to get things done and set up properly.

I think it would be wise for any new team to spend the next year setting up a proper infrastructure and marketing

1 minute ago, deschamp86 said:

IMHO I think it is too late at this point for any team to be joining in 2020 other than the Fury (should they choose to do so). 

Pacific was the last team to be announced last year in late July, and even then it seemed like a lot of teams were rushing to get things done and set up properly.

I think it would be wise for any new team to spend the next year setting up a proper infrastructure and marketing

You're right. The draft order confirms that 2020 will be a 7 team season

12 minutes ago, Ansem said:

You're right. The draft order confirms that 2020 will be a 7 team season

Yeah i was going to mention that as well. I still think that if the Fury were to switch over, them not being in the draft wouldn't be a huge deal, but I also don't think we will be seeing them this year anyway

Think people should take note of the way that weasel words are still being inserted where a 2021 launch is concerned in Quebec. The time to get excited is when you see a countdown graphic on the league website.

https://northerntribune.ca/canadian-premier-league-quebec-expansion-close/

We’re getting close with a couple of different groups with Quebec, so I’m very pleased with that. Most likely, it will not happen for 2020, but 2021 could potentially be there. Certainly, it’s a big priority for us. It’s too big of a province with too much of a football public to not have a team there.

David Clanachan