CPL new teams speculation

On 10/26/2019 at 3:05 PM, DrFitzpatrick said:

I’m betting most of the people complaining about negativity on here are soft and weak millennials.

This "soft and weak millennial" built a 400 person supporters group from scratch in a city that had no supporters presence in 2015.

I'll make people here a deal. The day Ozzie is banned, I will come back and post on a regular basis. And constructive conversation, not just the mudflinging I've been doing over the last year because I know nothing will happen. I'd like to think that the person running a CPL supporters group in a city that has limited presence on this board would be more valuable to the conversation than someone who counts butts in seats at every CPL game and waits for the league to fail.

Maybe that's just my entitled millennial self though...

Edited by shermanator

Paul Beirne posted a pic of Varsity Stadium this week on social media with the comment would this not be a good CPL stadium. Wonder if he is teasing something as we know he is leaving his post as CPL president? I am not sure what I think about a downtown CPL year at this point in time considering York is still trying to find their footing but could be interesting. 

4 minutes ago, Cblake said:

Paul Beirne posted a pic of Varsity Stadium this week on social media with the comment would this not be a good CPL stadium. Wonder if he is teasing something as we know he is leaving his post as CPL president? I am not sure what I think about a downtown CPL year at this point in time considering York is still trying to find their footing but could be interesting. 

I'm dreaming and always said it. 

"Yorkville"

They would be my team...or North York...

IMG_20191018_130639.jpg

Edited by Ansem

Just now, Cblake said:

Being in the centre of the city would be something but I still think Lamport would be the better route with size and lack of a track but who knows. 

Bloor-Yonge is hard to beat in terms of traffic, transit and potential walk-ins.

Of course...Very deep pocket needed to get this to fly and U of T to agree to it

I loved Varsity. Loved the brick. Loved the benches. Loved the contained seating. Loved the surprisingly strong atmosphere. Loved the old European men smoking cigarettes outside the gates.

New Varsity is open, empty and soul-less post reno.  It has none of that.  It might be suitable for CPL, in the same way York Lions stadium is suitable.

20 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Here's Google Translate's butchered translation of the highlighted paragraphs for any English-only readers/speakers. It's not perfect, but it gets 90% of the ideas across:

The 29th recommendation states that "the transfer of the PLSQ to the CPL must be analyzed according to concrete proposals". Important element "the interest of CPL to manage and possibly acquire the PLSQ is part of their development logic." As a result, is the case already heard? Not quite since it is important "to avoid a wind of gust to get rid of an activity that could have a role and an important vocation if restructured in the right way." "Management delegated over a few years would probably be preferable to an outright assignment that deprive Soccer Quebec of the only lever it has in professional soccer," the report continues. If such an operation were to be conducted "it is important to consider the investments already made both by the Federation and by the clubs for nine years" and "a discussion with the clubs will be necessary."

The rumors of the establishment of a CPL team in Quebec also seem to be confirmed since this perspective is mentioned in the report. It states "Soccer Quebec must facilitate the arrival of a CPL team in Quebec, preferably and initially, in the City of Quebec" or "groups of potential investors are already on the go . "

What one might call PLSQ trusteeship could perhaps improve the conditions in which the teams evolve. The report explains that "the university network offers a framework for athletes that seems more professional than that of the PLSQ", due to the fact that "displacements are mostly by bus charters while most teams in PLSQ move with the cars of the team members, sometimes by school bus and be little worthy of a professional circuit. " University matches are quarreled at better stages than those of the PLSQ.

10 hours ago, narduch said:

Not really a fan of the running track.

Is the CPL ready to go right into the heart of an MLS city?

I don't want to see anymore running tracks in the CPL. 

I personally think a Toronto CPL team could survive around TFC. It just requires the proper marketing positioning/investment/location from the the jump. It can't be done ameteurish. 

Lamport could definitely work(if there isn't any MLSE and City OF Toronto deals) , it just needs an investment worth talking about. 

24 minutes ago, Shway said:

Lamport could definitely work(if there isn't any MLSE and City OF Toronto deals) , it just needs an investment worth talking about.

Lamport is owned by the City of Toronto and operated by MLSE, so there would have to be deals struck with those entities.

18 minutes ago, RS said:

Lamport is owned by the City of Toronto and operated by MLSE, so there would have to be deals struck with those entities.

Last time I heard I don't think this is true anymore. I think its operated by the CoT. I could be wrong though. 

I went on MLSE website, and found this

MLSE owns or operates all of the venues its teams play and train in, including Scotiabank Arena, BMO Field, Coca-Cola Coliseum, MasterCard Centre for Hockey Excellence, BMO Training Ground and the Toronto Raptors Training Centre. 

Edited by Shway

14 minutes ago, Shway said:

Last time I heard I don't think this is true anymore. I think its operated by the CoT. I could be wrong though. 

I went on MLSE website, and found this

MLSE owns or operates all of the venues its teams play and train in, including Scotiabank Arena, BMO Field, Coca-Cola Coliseum, MasterCard Centre for Hockey Excellence, BMO Training Ground and the Toronto Raptors Training Centre. 

Ah yeah, it looks like MLSE got out of the management game (for facilities that aren't directly connected to their teams) a few years ago. Lamport and the Oshawa arena were under their umbrella at one point.

Varsity isn't up to CPL stadium standards with the lined turf.

Camera Booth to aim at the grandstand would have to be built as well since the bleachers are on one side only, and hopefully real seats put in the center few sections of the grandstand as well.

It can be done if the group has and is willing to spend the $ for those items and the University agrees but don't see this happening for years imo.

Varsity%20Stadium.jpg

Credit to Actualité Soccer Canadien (follow him, he's doing a great job)

Regarding Quebec City:

-There's a serious ownership group working on the team, and that a stadium deal have been made but doubtful for 2020

-Soccer Quebec wants to work with CPL but marketing-wise he's more on the fence...calls CPL "very anglophone"

-There may be a PLSQ opportunity for Sherbrooke but a CPL team is doubtful in his opinion

9 hours ago, Ansem said:

-Soccer Quebec wants to work with CPL but marketing-wise he's more on the fence...calls CPL "very anglophone"

So is the rest of Canada for the most part. And TBH I would have done the same thing if I was launching a league (with respect to not bringing on French immediately). There is no team in the province of Quebec yet and there are a million things a startup has to do. It wasn't a high priority thing. Now with one, potentially two, teams in Quebec over the next couple of years plus working with the PLSQ that will definitely change.

16 minutes ago, T_Bison said:

So is the rest of Canada for the most part. And TBH I would have done the same thing if I was launching a league (with respect to not bringing on French immediately). There is no team in the province of Quebec yet and there are a million things a startup has to do. It wasn't a high priority thing. Now with one, potentially two, teams in Quebec over the next couple of years plus working with the PLSQ that will definitely change.

There's a large francophone presence in both Ontario and Manitoba...so I'll disagree on that. Team or no team in Quebec, Quebecers & former Impact academy players are in the league

That’s a pretty exciting article.  A 2 team Quebec expansion in Laval and Quebec City at the same time would be pretty great.  What better way to go into that market could you have than establishing an instant built in rivalry like that.  

I think a lot of people are hoping for Saskatoon in 2021 which I think would be also a very good timeframe and location.

I’m still holding out hope for Ottawa next year to take us to 8 teams.

50 minutes ago, T_Bison said:

I cannot agree with such logic. As Ansel had correctly pointed out, there is a fairly significant francophone presence in both Manitoba and Ontario, as well as in New Brunswick. The other point I will make here is that this is a bilingual country. I know people seem to argue against it, but it is a fact. Therefore, I think it is poor that the CPL did not go bilingual from the get go. Finally, just by the fact that there wasn't a French presence in most of the news articles and live broadcasts, that is going to make it difficult for the francophone community (especially those whose English is not strong) to get engaged with the CPL, or even want a francophone club to join the league. 

That being said, I hope there are some Québécois clubs in the CPL soon. That would make things more interesting. I'm just still keeping hope for one more team in next season's CPL

5 hours ago, Ansem said:

There's a large francophone presence in both Ontario and Manitoba...so I'll disagree on that. Team or no team in Quebec, Quebecers & former Impact academy players are in the league

I can't speak to NB, but the francophone situation between Quebec and MB is very different.  For 99% of people in MB listed as francophone, they are all bilingual and generally english is their first language.  

You could walk the streets of Winnipeg for months without hearing a french conversation.

My kids are in hardcore french immersion school and still all the kids speak english outside of class.

Outside of Winnipeg in some small french rural areas,  is the only place in MB you may hear predominantly french spoken. 

Yes it would be nice if CPL was fully bilingual off the hop, but I have to side with T_Bison on this one.  The clubs are currently operating in english cities and as the league has a chance to catch it's breath and/or introduce french cities into the league, I think they have bigger priorities for year one.  Once we have a Quebec/NB team, I have no doubt CPL will be fully bilingual, as it should.

I see it as a bit of a chicken/egg thing.  Do you bake bilingualism into the league form the outset in the hope that Francophones will embrace the league (with no presence in predominantly francophone markets), or do you build it with them when they sign on?  It looks like the league is using the latter approach, and I am not sure they were wrong.