CPL new teams speculation

I honestly don't understand what he is doing here.

Seems he is only interested in tearing down the CPL and proving that he was right all along and that he is smarter than everyone else.

I never see him post about MLS, the Fury or even the National teams in the other sub forums.

He is infatuated with the league failing, just to tell a bunch of strangers on the internet that he was right?

Edited by narduch

37 minutes ago, Big_M said:

gotta quote this before he can change it..but he wont anyway

Why would I want to change the blindingly obvious? MLS has three Canadian teams and is around Championship to lower Premiership level in quality in English terms while CanPL is around Conference National to lower end of League Two level. That makes MLS the top league operating in Canada in de facto terms. That's the way the media sees it, which is why CanPL gets very little coverage on national sports media outlets.

37 minutes ago, narduch said:

...He is infatuated with the league failing, just to tell a bunch of strangers on the internet that he was right?

In reality, I have consistently suggested changes that could be made to make the league work better because I want all of Canadian soccer to succeed and have been very upbeat about what has happened in Halifax. Take a look around you at the next York 9 game you go to and check how busy it is. Then compare with what a TFC game is like. Are the rabidly anti-MLS views that get peddled on here really in tune with the average Canadian soccer fan once you move beyond the bubble that is this subforum?

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

18 minutes ago, Big_M said:

why is the owner of this site not removing such a destructive person?

I would think that it is because he hasn't really done anything wrong.  I also disagree with him often but he is on the receiving end of more direct attacks than he ever gives out.  

Sure, good conversation is often interrupted with needless attendance counts or accusations that the club/league is going to fold after one season but to ban based on a differing of views is unwarranted. 

43 minutes ago, Big_M said:

why is the owner of this site not removing such a destructive person?

I think, technically, he is not in breach of any of the forum's rules. So long as he continues to tread along that path, under what grounds would he be removed?

We may not like what he has to say, and he may be repetitive to a fault, but he's not abusive (although he occasionally provokes abuse, which I, as a mod, occasionally need to issue "warnings" to address). Being repetitive & dismissive is not a bannable offense, imo. Nor, given rationale & well-supported (though exceptionally choosy on sources) posting, with an overall view of improving the Canadian game (albeit in a starkly different manner), does he appear an outright troll.

It's a pretty fine line, but ultimately, as I haven't seen any individual posts that specifically warrant a warning (let alone a banning), it would be abusive on my part to do so "out of the blue."

If you know of some posts that are specifically on the outside here, please report them so they can be examined & addressed by the mod-team.

I would like to refer everyone to the posted Forum Rules (click the link at the top, apparently doesn't open directly), as I (and presumably any other mods) use this as my guide. @admin may have more to say on this topic.

Edited by Rintaran
added note on forum rules

8 minutes ago, Stouffvillain said:

..or accusations that the club/league is going to fold after one season...

I haven't done either of those things at any point this season and only yesterday contradicted somebody on Reddit, who was trying to suggest that was about to happen.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

at some point its not about rules anymore..if you lost members and current good posters are getting disappointed and frustrated which could lead to going elsewhere you should take action..otherwise you risk losing more and thats bad for your site..a new national pro league is here and you want to keep this negativity day after day hour after hour?

How many people have been driven away from this forum over the past two decades by the people who post mindless abuse at posters who disagree with them? It easily runs into the hundreds by now. The starting point should be that respect must be shown for other opinions. It is the people who are incapable of showing that respect and tolerating other viewpoints that destroy internet forums as viable venues for discussion and should be banned.

6 minutes ago, Big_M said:

at some point its not about rules anymore..if you lost members and current good posters are getting disappointed and frustrated which could lead to going elsewhere you should take action..otherwise you risk losing more and thats bad for your site..a new national pro league is here and you want to keep this negativity day after day hour after hour?

I don't want that constant negativity around, but it's not my site.

Again, feel free to use the report button where it is appropriate so we may review posts that do not conform to forum rules. Additionally, you can always put certain users on ignore.

I defer any major move not covered by the rules, such as banning for dead-horse beating, to the site @admin.

At this point, I'd like to refer people back to the topic: CPL New Team Speculation.

If you wish to discuss changing, expanding on, or other queries regarding moderation, please start (or revive) a thread in the appropriate forum and be sure to tag the appropriate users so they're immediately made aware.

2 hours ago, Stouffvillain said:

I would think that it is because he hasn't really done anything wrong.  I also disagree with him often but he is on the receiving end of more direct attacks than he ever gives out.  

Ever heard of the expression, "You run into an a**hole during your day, you just ran into an a**hole. You keep running into a**holes throughout your day, guess what, you're the a**hole."

That pretty much sums up why what you describe happens. 

2 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

How many people have been driven away from this forum over the past two decades by the people who post mindless abuse at posters who disagree with them? It easily runs into the hundreds by now. The starting point should be that respect must be shown for other opinions. It is the people who are incapable of showing that respect and tolerating other viewpoints that destroy internet forums as viable venues for discussion and should be banned.

I'm allowed to theorize why you post the way you post. I think my theory on your cuckold tendencies is quite apt with some well thought out solid arguments. I should not be banned because of that. 

Edited by Macksam

4 hours ago, Stouffvillain said:

Sure, good conversation is often interrupted with needless attendance counts or accusations that the club/league is going to fold after one season but to ban based on a differing of views is unwarranted. 

No he hasnt done anything wrong.  Everyone has an opinion and it entitled to it.  Even Robert was doing nothing wrong until he went into totally unwarranted personal attacks.  But if he can freely and endlessly claim with impunity, that the "head in clouds, pro-cpl sheep" were wrong and he was right, he should be able to withstand the blowback of people saying the CPL will go on without his support, it was a good season and we prefer it over USL/MLS.  Anyone online that throws out opinions and then cries victim when people take opposite opinions is either a baby or looking for attention.  He is the one who is endlessly claiming he was shouted down, and ridiculed for his opinion.  

And lets make this crystal clear....do we know of anyone who quit the site because people were too excited and too happy about the CPL, ie pro soccer coming to their neck of the woods??  Now how many people (some from supporters groups) got tired of his constant back handed negativity towards almost everything CPL related???  ADMIN has noted this several times that the supporters groups avoid this site like the plague.  I have yet to see him take on USL/MLS attendance with the same vigor and glee he shits on CPL numbers.  Or to be as critical of USL expansion clubs fortunes as he is of CDN ones.  Go ahead and say whatever you want (within our guidelines) but remember this is for CDN fans, for CDN soccer...so dont be surprised if you spin almost everything not involved with Halifax in a negative light, you are going to be in the minority and will get a lot more people taking umbrage with your more outlandish theories.  

Getting back to the topic at hand, I read the article that was linked to this thread earlier today (I reckon it was Ozzie who sent the link, so thank you Ozzie). There was mention that the Wanderers are already preparing their tickets for next season. Here in Hamilton Forge FC are doing the exact same thing. It was said that they were talking about 14 home matches on the CPL next season. Assuming that such is the case, we can still hope for an 8th team coming out in the coming months. In that case, of course, everyone would meet each other 4 times each, twice at home and twice away. I also heard that since York 9 guaranteed third place last night after defeating Valour, they will have a bye in next season's Canadian Championship, starting at the second round. I'd imagine if a new club does indeed join the CPL next season, they will lose their bye and start in the qualifying round with everyone else with the exception of Cavalry and Forge. At last night's Forge game, I saw a banner saying that Saskatchewan is ready for a CPL club for next season. It's the second banner I've seen. Don't give up hope yet everyone. I'm still remaining optimistic that someone will join the league for next season.

I don't know why people think the CanPL would close after one year. You always give a business 2-3 years to find it's footing. You don't expect to make money at first since your building the supporting infrastructure. It took about 10 years for MLS to find its footing. Don't think that the CanPL owners haven't studied their trajectory, especially as MLS almost closed down after 5 years of existence and was only saved because 3 investors went ahead and paid to keep everything open. If worst comes to worst and things are failing after 3 years, I expect Bob Young and the Southerns will bankroll it over the hump as they're committed to seeing this work. And with the 10 year MediaPro deal in place and the Volkswagen and Westjet sponsorships, I think they've got a bit of a cushion for at least a decade to get this league some traction.

On 10/17/2019 at 11:53 AM, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

How many people do you think have quit this forum because of you? I know of at least half a dozen.

On 10/17/2019 at 4:51 PM, Bison44 said:

And lets make this crystal clear....do we know of anyone who quit the site because people were too excited and too happy about the CPL, ie pro soccer coming to their neck of the woods??  Now how many people (some from supporters groups) got tired of his constant back handed negativity towards almost everything CPL related???  ADMIN has noted this several times that the supporters groups avoid this site like the plague.  I have yet to see him take on USL/MLS attendance with the same vigor and glee he ***** on CPL numbers.  Or to be as critical of USL expansion clubs fortunes as he is of CDN ones.  Go ahead and say whatever you want (within our guidelines) but remember this is for CDN fans, for CDN soccer...so dont be surprised if you spin almost everything not involved with Halifax in a negative light, you are going to be in the minority and will get a lot more people taking umbrage with your more outlandish theories.  

Yeah lots in USL to take on!  Saturday first place North Texas SC won the first season USL League One playoff final.  Monday second place Lansing Ignition ceased operations.   I made some comments that I was glad TFC II have deep pocketed owners.  Their last home game had 51 of us in the stands cheering them on.  

3 hours ago, Ams1984 said:

I’ve been told by my season ticket rep that there will not be an eighth club for the upcoming season. 

If you don't mind me asking, which club does this season ticket rep represent?

1 hour ago, DrFitzpatrick said:

Just more lies...stringing us along to give us hope that there may be an 8th team.

I'm starting to get that feeling as well. About a month ago I actually met David Clanachan face to face at one of Forge FC's games (turns out like me he has season tickets to Forge FC). That was the very question I asked him with regards to expansion. Unfortunately, he gave me the exact same thing we always hear from him. It's frankly starting to get boring. Just tell us whether or not there will be an eighth team next year. I listened to the clip posted earlier, and he mentions that if he was to be paid a buck for every time someone asks him a question regarding expansion, he could retire again. The wait goes on...