CPL new teams speculation

24 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

DIdnt the other MLS teams shut theirs down??

They shut them down because they were too cheap to take losses to provide those playing opportunities for their younger players.

I do agree with the overall point that MLS2 teams shouldn't be in CPL, though.

1 hour ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Nothing complex on this. If they had a TFC affiliated team on board as they easily could have had they would have had 8 at launch. If the Impact and Whitecaps had followed they could have had 10. I doubt the optics of having these teams on board would have been any worse than York 9 or FCE games are at the moment and who knows maybe it would have worked better. If the Canadian Championship has shown anything this season it's that an MLS angle appears to be a big draw rather than something that is off-putting to fans in CanPL markets.

So it looks like you think your premise proves itself. If they had another team, you add that team to what they currently have, and that makes a bigger number.

By the same logic they would have been better off adding random men's league teams to the league. Or heck, random U12 teams to the league. Because they have 7 teams but if they brought in Sudbury U12 Boys into the league they would have 8. OMG WHY DIDN'T THEY THINK OF THIS!!!!

8 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

What also proves the premise is that the league has not expanded to 10 teams by 2020 as David Clanachan was saying it would in the not too distant past. They made life more difficult for themselves on that than it needed to be.

In fairness Clanachan has always seemed to oversell things. I take everything he has to say with a grain of salt, just as I do for some others

Wow, the commish oversold the league.  What an outrage, better get clutching your pearls.  Kind of like MLS saying they are going to be a world class top league "ad nauseum" for the last decade??   Or that USL is the best 2nd div in the world??  Try giving your hometown league the same treatment you would give the american ones eh??  

What premise does team 8-10 not being ready by 2020 go to  prove??  That its not easy to start a club from scratch??  Or that retread folded once already by non committed MLS owner,  reserve teams are the answer??  

Oversold its short to medium term growth prospects would be about right. If it is a single entity and Bob Young is willing to be its Phil Anschutz if need be, there's plenty of time to figure out how to make it all work, if there's no danger of a couple of investors pulling their privately owned clubs out and sinking the whole ship in an original CSL sort of way.

Another year with 7 clubs only isn't ideal but curious to see the level of play increase and how teams adjusts next season. They should have a better idea of who belongs and who doesn't.

2021 will be a great year for the league who could be welcoming many new teams.

Edited by Ansem

13 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

The normal protocol is for new pro teams is for them to be accepted into CSA membership first at the CSA's AGM, so if there is no huge rush involved early May will probably be the timing on franchise announcements related to a 2021 launch. If the rumoured team #8 was going to be at the Langley Events Centre, I think they have probably made a good decision assuming Duane Rollins is correct and they are holding off for now. They need the next club/franchise to be added to be another Halifax rather than a Pacific or York 9 and a Greater Vancouver team in the very outer fringes of suburbia was high risk to be the latter.

There may not be another Halifax though, like there hasn't been another FC Cincinatti for USL. Not so easy to point to HFX and think it can be replicated in another small market. If there's 1 or 2 more markets than could start out like Halifax that would be great, we'll see over the next few years.

The league does need to be in the 3 major media markets though, as Canada's Division 1, and the league has said as much. They are big enough to to support an MLS and CPL club. The CPL club just needs to be done right, in an area far enough removed from the direct MLS market and with a sound plan, resources, and patience, etc.

A GTA based CPL team will find it difficult no matter which of the 9 cities in York Region (I’m being facetious) it’s located in. So just a hunch that it would be better suited farther from the GTA than it is now, which really only means Durham or Oakville. Mississauga should work, but only with a city centre stadium. York9 playing some games in Newmarket or Aurora?? Maybe. But until CPL gobbles up players from Vaughan Azzurri or Woodbridge Strikers, it makes it harder to stay near York U. 

22 minutes ago, nighttrain said:

A GTA based CPL team will find it difficult no matter which of the 9 cities in York Region (I’m being facetious) it’s located in. So just a hunch that it would be better suited farther from the GTA than it is now, which really only means Durham or Oakville. Mississauga should work, but only with a city centre stadium. York9 playing some games in Newmarket or Aurora?? Maybe. But until CPL gobbles up players from Vaughan Azzurri or Woodbridge Strikers, it makes it harder to stay near York U. 

Mississauga and Durham our be similar situations to York 9. Mississauga may far better, it will come down to how much city pride they have. Off the bat Mississauga have more of an identity than York or Durham region, we typically don’t say I live in York Region. 

I would love to see them both in the league but patience will be needed with them as with Y9 or any other club that starts up within spitting distance of an MLS club. 

Make of this what you will:

but I think this one is best filed under F for far-fetched given the lack of an easy stadium solution at very short notice. If it isn't being made up for shits and giggles maybe someone senior at the league is telling different people close to the inner circle different scenarios to see who leaks the info out in a Tyrion in GoT with Myrcella or whatever she was called sort of way. 

Think if there's an eighth club added for next year easiest would be Fraser Valley with an easy stadium setup available at the LEC where its ready to add 7k seating basically and has existing parking, etc already for the 5K arena already on the site. Plus, Pacific FC owners have all along said they're still interested and working on a CPL club in the Surrey/Langley area since before they had to move to the island for 2019.

We'll know in a few weeks for sure if an 8th club will be added or not for 2020.

I strongly suspect it will be 7 and Duane Rollins was being used last week to lower expectations, but we'll see what happens. If year one has shown anything with the success of Halifax it is that stadium location can make a big difference. The LEC is less than ideal on that. If there was a way that the old Centennial Stadium location behind the Kitchener Rangers' arena could be prepared quickly for use then Kitchener might be a stronger contender:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/43°26'49.0"N+80°28'01.0"W/@43.4469444,-80.4691331,769m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x0!8m2!3d43.4469444!4d-80.4669444

but it didn't seem to figure in Barry Maclean's plans prior to the launch, so that may not be possible.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

33 minutes ago, Big_M said:

looks like usl league one team lansing ignite is folding but they will pump a bunch of mls reserve teams in there and the show will go on..or should we say the no-show with the average attendance of most reserve teams in the hundreds

After only one season in USL One.

Which further proves my point that USL franchises have no real value.

USL is a dead end for Ottawa.

Edited by narduch

USL franchises may have no real value, but the one thing the USL has that the CPL does not have yet is critical mass - at least in the USL Championship.  One team disappearing and there may be another one or two coming in to replace them.  Although I definitely prefer the CPL for Ottawa, I would not dismiss the USL as a perfectly fine business model.  

1 hour ago, JamboAl said:

USL franchises may have no real value, but the one thing the USL has that the CPL does not have yet is critical mass - at least in the USL Championship.  One team disappearing and there may be another one or two coming in to replace them.  Although I definitely prefer the CPL for Ottawa, I would not dismiss the USL as a perfectly fine business model.  

And they have MLS behind them.  Cant overlook that.  As for a business model...we need Mr Parrot to take apart the USL the way he does the CPL and see if the model is any good.  They have added 30 teams in the last 4 years and absorbed another 4 NASL clubs.  You have to admire their agressiveness.  

I'm going to be fascinated to see what happens with the USL when MLS eventually does stop expanding.  Because right now, I get the feeling the bigger teams in USL are just using it as a proving ground for MLS, and that MLS is more than happy to scoop them up at their leisure.  But once MLS is done (with whatever number that ends up at), I'll be interested to see how many owners really want to keep investing in USL.

You take the top 4-5 USL off the top (bigger clubs bucking for MLS) and disregard the bottom 10 as reserve teams and failures...and what do you have??  A mixed bag of clubs ranging from 7000 down to 2300 attendance (announced for Mr parrot, take it as you will but lets at least compare apples with apples). Hmmmm, doesnt sound too diffferent than what we have in the CPL after one year.   But as someone said above, we dont have the numbers to absorb any failures.  So after rushing a few teams to make sure the league gets off the ground it wouldnt surprise me if Saskatoon, a second BC team and a PQ team are not going to be pressured in if its not ready.  Ottawa would bring something positive to the league ASAP, but thats a whole other kettle of fish.