CPL new teams speculation

8 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Think people should take note of the way that weasel words are still being inserted where a 2021 launch is concerned in Quebec. The time to get excited is when you see a countdown graphic on the league website.

https://northerntribune.ca/canadian-premier-league-quebec-expansion-close/

We’re getting close with a couple of different groups with Quebec, so I’m very pleased with that. Most likely, it will not happen for 2020, but 2021 could potentially be there. Certainly, it’s a big priority for us. It’s too big of a province with too much of a football public to not have a team there.

David Clanachan 

The other part that interested me was "multiple locations in la belle province at the forefront of expansion speculation"

But outside of Montreal Laval and Quebec City, what other locations in Quebec could be viable for a CPL team??   

Sherbrooke?  University town, Pierre Marchand could see a team from there in PLSQ, doubtful for CPL

Longueuil? (Rive Sud) Possible too close to Impact de Montreal, need a stadium.  seaway Park close by to Longueuil Metro Station near CEGEP Champlain but St_lambert residents prefer the park be a quiet area.   Parc Illinois in Brossard not close to public transit and is a "mosquito haven"

Gatineau?  provide a rivalry with Ottawa but is there an ownership group?

Montreal Island?  need to be far away from Impact who play in the east end

21 minutes ago, Impactsupporter said:

The other part that interested me was "multiple locations in la belle province at the forefront of expansion speculation"

But outside of Montreal Laval and Quebec City, what other locations in Quebec could be viable for a CPL team??   

Sherbrooke?  University town, Pierre Marchand could see a team from there in PLSQ, doubtful for CPL

Longueuil? (Rive Sud) Possible too close to Impact de Montreal, need a stadium.  seaway Park close by to Longueuil Metro Station near CEGEP Champlain but St_lambert residents prefer the park be a quiet area.   Parc Illinois in Brossard not close to public transit and is a "mosquito haven"

Gatineau?  provide a rivalry with Ottawa but is there an ownership group?

Montreal Island?  need to be far away from Impact who play in the east end

Trois-Rivières

Just now, dyslexic nam said:

If that is what it takes to get extracted from USL without penalty and their role in CPL is assured, this would be great news.  

Except for soccer fans in Ottawa! As much as hate the fact that OFFC has so far held off on joining the CPL I enjoyed attending the V Cup games this past season and will very much miss the games next year.

Speaking of said V Cup games, the Canadian soccer community is so small. @JamboAl and I were standing on the concourse at TD Place, me in my red Osorio TFC jersey, and none other than Grandpa Osorio comes up to me and says "That's my Grandson!" We had a nice little chat about Jonothan and his brothers. Things like this still amaze me.

9 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

Except for soccer fans in Ottawa! As much as hate the fact that OFFC has so far held off on joining the CPL I enjoyed attending the V Cup games this past season and will very much miss the games next year.

Speaking of said V Cup games, the Canadian soccer community is so small. @JamboAl and I were standing on the concourse at TD Place, me in my red Osorio TFC jersey, and none other than Grandpa Osorio comes up to me and says "That's my Grandson!" We had a nice little chat about Jonothan and his brothers. Things like this still amaze me.

I guess I was misreading. I took it to mean play in USL in 2020 and then cease operations (possibly required to get out of their obligations).  They would then resume in 2021 in CPL.  

But now that I reread, you seem to be right. If true, it would mean no footy next year.  I would still support it as the “Fury in CPL” endgame is still paramount IMO, but it would def suck for Fury fans.  

15 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

This will give them a year to raise their standard to CPL level, so not a bad thing.  

Good one!

as for the statement about taking a hiatus for 2020, that’s interesting cause they already have my money for the 2020 season.  I’d rather them play USL in 2020 than nothing and frankly don’t see why it would make a difference to go dormant.

Plus I’m not into giving companies interest free financing for more than a year.  

The only reason I could think of to go dormant would be if that was required to make the jump to CPL without financial penalty from USL.  If they basically “went out of business” and reopened immediately it might be contractually different than if they folded, waited a year, and then started a new team in CPL.  

Pure speculation. 

I'm not buying this particular bit of information.  It wouldn't make sense from a business standpoint.  I've said it before OSEG are business men.  Trying to kick off after a year away would be significantly tougher than if they just switched over.  Out of sight, out of mind.  You don't want that if you are the one who has been footing the bill trying to establish a brand for x number of years.  

In other news Alex Bunbury has resurfaced and had a pretty good chat with AFC Curtis this week.  Go to about 24:30 for expansion talk.  Curtis puts out the often speculated one new team in 2020 and two in 2021, Bunbury says "those are good odds".

Edited by Stouffvillain

45 minutes ago, dnina10 said:

Ottawa Fury to make a major announcement tomorrow...

https://twitter.com/24thminute/status/1192547931817226248?s=20

This was posted by Sebastien on the thread Ottawa CPL Club. This could be huge. Assuming this is true, everyone better keep their eyes locked for tomorrow's announcement

Good news rarely comes on a Friday. All signs are pointing to Fury folding up shop, or possibly a 1-year hiatus before a 2021 CPL relaunch, if the known troll actually struck true...

5 hours ago, BuzzAndSting said:

Speaking of the V Cup, this really simplifies things for next year.

3 MLS + Cavalry (Forge, because reasons) get byes.

8 other teams face head-to-head, with the 4 winners facing the 4 teams with byes.

I look forward to see how Canada Soccer will make a complete mess of this.

1 minute ago, Gopherbashi said:

8 other teams face head-to-head, with the 4 winners facing the 4 teams with byes.

If a team gets a bye, it's Forge since they have to play CONCACAF League. Had Cavalry won, I'd say Cavalry though. 

3 minutes ago, Gopherbashi said:

Actually, Cavalry beating Vancouver means that they should get a bye along with Forge

Cavalry, Forge, Montreal, TFC --> QF

Vancouver, 5 CPL teams, 1 PLSQ, 1 L1O --> Qualifiers

5 minutes ago, Blackdude said:

If a team gets a bye, it's Forge since they have to play CONCACAF League. Had Cavalry won, I'd say Cavalry though. 

Yeah, it depends if they want to reward V Cup play or league play.  History would suggest V Cup play (TFC got the semi-final bye for winning the V Cup, not for MLS results), but you raise a legit argument for why it should go to Forge.