CPL new teams speculation

Theres the problem...there is no news...nothing but speculation about something Clanahan has said 20 different times.  Does anyone have any NEW info on what is going on with Bunbury and what he was trying to get going in Quebec?  That trail seems to have gone cold lately.  Previsouly he seemed to be ignoring NDA's etc and was talking alot.  

I was contacted yesterday by the CBC to comment on CPL to Sudbury. Poor bloke thought my pie-in-the-sky dreams meant something was happening.

That's just how desperate everyone is for any sort of news.

Most of the usual suspects are quiet right now. Hopefully that's a sign of a lot of work behind the scenes.

Being patient sucks, but it's all we can do right now.

15 hours ago, Watchmen said:

See, here's the thing.  The answer is yes: I've very definitely left the board at times because the "happy positive" posters spend so much time shitting on someone.  That I have to wade through pages of attacks on him at times just to find anything worth reading.  And yeah, some of what he posts is garbage.  But at the same time, this board doesn't always seem to want to have a critical discussion on the CPL or issues around it.  Issues are brushed aside with "just be happy it exists" or "it's only year 1 so don't worry they'll definitely have it solved soon".  I get that it's exciting to have teams across Canada now.  I'm thrilled that people across the country now have their own local teams to cheer for.  But the board also definitely exists in a bubble where critical discussion doesn't always seem welcome.  So yeah, I can definitely see people leaving because of "happy" posters.

What issues have you pointed out that have been brushed aside with that kind of response? And if you have been "brushed aside", you can easily come back with a retort of your own.

This board is anything but a bubble. All the posters, even the ones that enthusiastically support the league, have a wide range of views and opinions on said league. 

14 hours ago, Watchmen said:

I mean, I'd point out that there's also an element here pushing the agenda of "everything the CPL does is great and there's nothing to worry about"😉

And you're right I find the crowd shot of sparse crowds for *every* game to be a bit much.  But you know what else?  I can see when that's what he's done and skip it.  When every 2 sentence quip afterwards is people shitting on him, that ends up being a lot more to sift through.  Because I'm looking for where the discussion is and it's not there.  Hell, I'm contributing to the clutter problem right now and I hate myself for it.

I disagree again. I have not seen what you have pointed out here. Who is the poster that is pushing that agenda? 

All I really see on here are some posters who go to the stadiums and enjoy the games and report back on what they see and experience and one guy taking a magnifying glass to twitter pics.

There's also a third element that post hearsay from the league's grapevines about the future direction of the league. 

What's the agenda?

4 hours ago, The Real Marc said:

Why? Because that supports an argument that people don't want to hear? Don't get me wrong, I think counting ticketmaster is a waste of time. It's actually really freaking weird. But it's topical and not trolling.

I'm honestly surprised to hear that people have left this messageboard because of him. It seems a bit weak. On the scale of internet messageboard awfulness, this place is an A++ and Ozzie is no more than a minor irritant. I can think of more important reasons to ditch a messageboard but I guess some people are not looking for discussion and that's a-ok. Personally, I'd rather have one or two Ozzies to dilute the bucketful of happy clappers but that's maybe just me.

To each their own, I guess. But to ban him would be silly, and say more about those that can't tear themselves way from getting after him than it does about him, really.

Again, who are these happy clappers? Please point out a poster and a post as an example.

I was at the Barton Street Battalion fan appreciation night last night, it was a really good time, One Soccer hosts were there and they did an open forum taking questions from the floor, it was interesting to hear responses to some good questions that were asked! David Clanachan was there and delivered a state of the union type speech, no real specifics yet about new teams or Ottawa, he did mention there are lots of interested groups but lack of viable stadiums remains a challenge! I got a chance to have a real good chat with a couple of Forge players (Samuel and Owundi) who are both suspended today, some real interesting insight to how the team trains, going to Central America to play and how they see the league! Finally the Commissioner is a real champ in my eyes, he handed me a fistful of free beer tickets!👍

https://calgarysun.com/sports/soccer/free-kicks-cpl-commish-reveals-expansion-plans-in-near-future

DC in another interview talking expansion.

The author says Fraser Valley and Mississauga, along with Ottawa, still a possibility for next season.

The CPL commissioner divulged Friday the seven-team loop is likely to grow by two or three teams for the second season.

Think Mississauga, Ont., and Langley, B.C.

Edited by BuzzAndSting

1 hour ago, baulderdash77 said:

Where would they play in Mississauga?

...is the obvious indication that the journalist is probably clueless. Don't doubt there are at least two at an advanced stage but it is much more likely to be for 2021 or later (stadium related reasons if delayed longer than a year) than 2020 because why would they not have announced it already otherwise?

6 hours ago, baulderdash77 said:

Where would they play in Mississauga?

Today, nowhere. Ideally, a stadium is built around Square One mall (Mississauga's downtown, transit hub, city hall and where 20k showed up to watch the Raptors) but need to get the land before the condo guys. 

City is doing a stadium feasibility study but I haven't heard too many updates.