Sam Adekugbe

Dub Narcotic

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Man... how was Adekugbe stuck in Norway for so long? Terrific first half for Hatayspor, could've had 2 assists in the first 20 minutes. He's so good at timing his runs down the left and tracking back to defend. He's always struck me as one of the smartest players on the pitch.

Edit: Looks like he might've hurt his back 

Still, 7.7 + MOTM according to Sofascore

Edited by PiedPilko

On 8/14/2021 at 12:36 PM, PiedPilko said:

Man... how was Adekugbe stuck in Norway for so long? Terrific first half for Hatayspor, could've had 2 assists in the first 20 minutes. He's so good at timing his runs down the left and tracking back to defend. He's always struck me as one of the smartest players on the pitch.

Edit: Looks like he might've hurt his back 

Still, 7.7 + MOTM according to Sofascore

He was stuck in Norway likely for the same reason you had to edit your post - he can't stay healthy, and that becomes a gamble for bigger teams/leagues.

29 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

He was stuck in Norway likely for the same reason you had to edit your post - he can't stay healthy, and that becomes a gamble for bigger teams/leagues.

If he could stay healthy, he'd never have ended up in Norway. He'd have taken over from Harvey as the 'Caps LB as a 19-year old, grown into a dominant MLS full-back before moving onto a bigger and better things.

8 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

If he could stay healthy, he'd never have ended up in Norway. He'd have taken over from Harvey as the 'Caps LB as a 19-year old, grown into a dominant MLS full-back before moving onto a bigger and better things.

I'd like to think that, but I'm not sure. He stole Harvey's spot, got injured, came back from the injury, and Robinson just never played him again that season. I think his time with the Whitecaps ended more because of Robinson's management than the injuries. 

6 hours ago, Watchmen said:

I'd like to think that, but I'm not sure. He stole Harvey's spot, got injured, came back from the injury, and Robinson just never played him again that season. I think his time with the Whitecaps ended more because of Robinson's management than the injuries. 

The point is, it was one crucial injury at the wrong time. And it did put him out of the picture, when he was still young and just promising. So there was no natural or easy path for him back in.

Some saying he is injury prone, well I don't think he'd have consolidated in Norway or been signed in Turkey if they felt that. 

16 minutes ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

27, 24, 28 matches 2018-20 for 2,377, 1876, & 2011 minutes respectively in the Eliteserien (which, I assume, is a physical league). Seems pretty reliable, but I'd definitely agree with the memory of him being injury prone.

I think I remember him missing Canada games because of injury as well?

22 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

The point is, it was one crucial injury at the wrong time. And it did put him out of the picture, when he was still young and just promising. So there was no natural or easy path for him back in.

Some saying he is injury prone, well I don't think he'd have consolidated in Norway or been signed in Turkey if they felt that. 

I'll disagree on both points here. First, I think when you see a young player has talent you need to figure out how to work him in to your lineup. Robinson consistently failed at that - Adekugbe had proven he could play at the MLS level, but Robinson opted to play Harvey every single game. Its a failure of development on Robinson's part.

Second, neither the Norwegian or Turkish leagues are bad, but I don't think of either as high level. I think Adekugbe has the talent to maybe play in a better league, but not sure a team would take a chance on him due to injuries. Conversely, his talent is enough that teams in smaller leagues would take a chance on him. Hence his ability to establish himself in Norway or transferring to a smaller Turkish team.

1 hour ago, Watchmen said:

I'll disagree on both points here. First, I think when you see a young player has talent you need to figure out how to work him in to your lineup. Robinson consistently failed at that - Adekugbe had proven he could play at the MLS level, but Robinson opted to play Harvey every single game. Its a failure of development on Robinson's part.

Second, neither the Norwegian or Turkish leagues are bad, but I don't think of either as high level. I think Adekugbe has the talent to maybe play in a better league, but not sure a team would take a chance on him due to injuries. Conversely, his talent is enough that teams in smaller leagues would take a chance on him. Hence his ability to establish himself in Norway or transferring to a smaller Turkish team.

We'll agree to disagree.

Here's the stadium of his small club in Turkey (which is not an inferior league to MLS, Larin did not take a step down don't think)

Construction: Yeni Hatay Stadyumu – StadiumDB.com

21 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

We'll agree to disagree.

Here's the stadium of his small club in Turkey (which is not an inferior league to MLS, Larin did not take a step down don't think)

Construction: Yeni Hatay Stadyumu – StadiumDB.com

Oh, I'm sure it's a nice stadium.  The Turkish government has been on a new stadium construction spree for a while now, as part of their propaganda campaign.  Also not saying that Turkey an inferior league to MLS.  I'm just saying Adekugbe didn't go to one of the big 3 teams there - he went to a newly promoted club, hence the "smaller team" comment.

1 minute ago, Watchmen said:

Oh, I'm sure it's a nice stadium.  The Turkish government has been on a new stadium construction spree for a while now, as part of their propaganda campaign.  Also not saying that Turkey an inferior league to MLS.  I'm just saying Adekugbe didn't go to one of the big 3 teams there - he went to a newly promoted club, hence the "smaller team" comment.

A team that finished 6th and had the league's leading scorer. Absolutely a step up from Valerenga, even with Boupendza gone now.

2 hours ago, cronaldo7 said:

Currently in Northern Cyprus which is a Turkish Republic (only recognized by Turkey).

Was so great to randomly switch on the Turkish television last night and see Gala vs Hatayspor and Adekugbe feature.

Canadian players are spreading across Europe like wildfire. 

How did he look?