Sam Adekugbe

Dub Narcotic

I couldn't find a thread for him, surprisingly. If someone has one, mods please delete this.

Anyways, Brighton returned him early from his loan. I'm maybe the last of the true believers on him but he has a good chance of claiming that Whitecaps starting LB spot this year if he can stay healthy and isn't pissy about being forced to come back.

5 hours ago, Dub Narcotic said:

I couldn't find a thread for him, surprisingly. If someone has one, mods please delete this.

Anyways, Brighton returned him early from his loan. I'm maybe the last of the true believers on him but he has a good chance of claiming that Whitecaps starting LB spot this year if he can stay healthy and isn't pissy about being forced to come back.

I am a believer. If fit he should be our #1 left back the next 10 years. Or at the very least, like Ashton Morgan, be given a real honest shot for a year or so.

15 hours ago, ThiKu said:

I am a believer. If fit he should be our #1 left back the next 10 years. Or at the very least, like Ashton Morgan, be given a real honest shot for a year or so.

There's wayyyyy to many LBs in our pool,and pipeline prospects to definitely say he'll be our starting LB in 10 years. 

Also....Ashtone is done, not to write the mate off, but he's done internationally. He's a backup LB to the best LB in the league, he needs to play consistently again in order to even be mentioned IMO.

If Adekugbe gets into the 1st team for the Whitecaps in 2018 (let's face it, not happening in 2017) and maintains that spot what LB is clearly ahead of him on the depth chart? Someone better may come along in 3-6 years, sure or even year 7-9 of course. But I maintain he's a clear talent....decent reports from Brighton who will be in EPL next year finally, and I believe had excellent performances for Vancouver prior. 

23 hours ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

There's wayyyyy to many LBs in our pool,and pipeline prospects to definitely say he'll be our starting LB in 10 years. 

Also....Ashtone is done, not to write the mate off, but he's done internationally. He's a backup LB to the best LB in the league, he needs to play consistently again in order to even be mentioned IMO.

who is in the pool right now at LB that makes you say we have alot of depth there? I ask honestly, not sarcastically.

I can't think of many bonafides in that position but I definitely don't follow all the players out there.

55 minutes ago, ThiKu said:

If Adekugbe gets into the 1st team for the Whitecaps in 2018 (let's face it, not happening in 2017) and maintains that spot what LB is clearly ahead of him on the depth chart? Someone better may come along in 3-6 years, sure or even year 7-9 of course. But I maintain he's a clear talent....decent reports from Brighton who will be in EPL next year finally, and I believe had excellent performances for Vancouver prior. 

I watched the game where Adekugbe made his appearance and I thought he played great. He was able to get forward and make offensive plays also. I thought he did not make any errors. The highlights were posted on here and everybody was able to review his play. Many people on here pointed out that he was responsible for 2 of the major defensive breakdowns that game, and on myself watching again they were pretty obvious. So my point is the reviews have been mixed.

7 minutes ago, ThiKu said:

He was probably 18-19 in that game? He can develop that side of his game. Build off his strengths because what you can't develop as easily is an attacking sensibility from that position.

Actually it was mid January 2017, so he was 21 or just turned 22. Still he can build off of that performance.

• 1 month later...

So Brighton & Hove Albion are promoted to the Premier League now and their season is done. Should Whitecaps try to loan Adekugbe out to a England League 1 or League 2 team in July/August? We all know he isn't going back to The Seagulls, he isn't Premier League material at this point.

Is he fit to play again or still injured?

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

For me, I hope Adekugbe lands anywhere but Vancouver. Even if he's fit, I don't see him playing much with Harvey still around. That, and he's said that he wants to play in England anyways.

He needs to play to improve. A League One or League Two club would be a good fit in my mind. 

I think he was wrong place wrong time. If they were not in a promotion/title battle he'd have played more. I think a lower to mid Championship side would be good for him but yea a League 1 or SPL loan would get him playing time for sure.

2 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

So Brighton & Hove Albion are promoted to the Premier League now and their season is done. Should Whitecaps try to loan Adekugbe out to a England League 1 or League 2 team in July/August? We all know he isn't going back to The Seagulls, he isn't Premier League material at this point.

Is he fit to play again or still injured?

1 hour ago, shermanator said:

For me, I hope Adekugbe lands anywhere but Vancouver. Even if he's fit, I don't see him playing much with Harvey still around. That, and he's said that he wants to play in England anyways.

He needs to play to improve. A League One or League Two club would be a good fit in my mind. 

I think Vancouver should sell him to a team in League one. That is probably a level where he can compete for a spot on a regular basis.

6 hours ago, Obinna said:

I think Vancouver should sell him to a team in League one. That is probably a level where he can compete for a spot on a regular basis.

They could try, but I don't see a basis on which a League One side would buy him. Similar MLS-prospects have signed in D4 Germany (Froese) or D4 France (Gagnon-Lapare).