Sam Adekugbe

Dub Narcotic

Interesting place to live, it's very close to Syria and the most Arab and Arabic speaking part of Turkey. Plenty of Syrian refugees.

I've never been to Turkey, but I've got to imagine the vibe will be very different from cosmopolitan Istanbul. Lots of away travel.

Best of luck to him.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

I assume this is like Davies whereby he continues to play for his club until August 1st.

I wonder what that means for his Gold Cup chances. The tournament literally ends on the day his transfer goes through.

Might want to pace himself for next season and sort out relocating. He only just started the season in Norway with 6 games under his belt. Quite possible we see him at the Gold Cup if he wants to keep fit. 

22 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

Wow.  That is a huge move for him.  Excellent outcome.  

Another Canadian playing at a high level.  He just did himself a world of good when it comes to his CMNT future. 

Agreed. Really nice move! As an Italian-Canadian, I selfishly want some of our players breaking into Serie A, but at this rate, it’s coming…

I also like this move, a lot. 

While many are commenting how well the team did last season, you have to remember that there are only 3 competitive teams in Turkey, and then Trabzonspor every so often as the fourth side. Everyone else is vulnerable, there is no consistency. So being at Hatayspor, well they just promoted last year, it does not mean that much. The important thing is the league and playing against harder teams, in bigger stadiums, under greater pressure.

I imagine, thinking about salary, that he was making something just under 100,000 euros a year at Valerenga, I'd imagine he will make close to double that now.

On 6/16/2021 at 7:21 PM, Unnamed Trialist said:

I imagine, thinking about salary, that he was making something just under 100,000 euros a year at Valerenga, I'd imagine he will make close to double that now.

As an aside, last I heard, he was indeed somewhere in that neighbourhood (maybe a smidge closer to 80k EUR/yr, but splitting hairs at that point) - though you would also have to factor in quality of life, considering he was/is living in Oslo and likely was paid in Norwegian kroner (which up until a few years ago was considered to be pretty strong/stable).

42 minutes ago, narduch said:

So I guess this means he is available for the Gold Cup.

Depends on if his Valerenga contract runs until Aug 1. They still have games up until then, I think. However, might just opt to play in the Gold Cup regardless.

44 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Sam is slated to start in a few minutes for Valerenga against Bodoe/Glimt, so he is back with them. 

This is somewhat odd, as often a transfered player does not get minutes, but all power to his club for using him.

Interesting. Did he move on a free transfer?

6 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Yes and it is also pending a medical, is it not?

Precontracts generally aren’t and it’s also not strange for a player to continue playing for his club when he’s signed one. Despite what @Unnamed Trialistsays it happens all the time. Same with fans making predictions for first legs. 

On 6/16/2021 at 9:28 AM, Chad_Impact said:

I was looking into Hatayspor and found out they have a brand new stadium.

Yeni stadına kavuşan Atakaş Hatayspor ilk maç için gün sayıyor

The club must have some real financial backing. 

No, not necessarily.  The Turkish government has either built or "strongly" encouraged clubs to build new stadiums in the last while.  Your typical political propaganda.  If anyone wants an interesting read on Turkish football, I'd recommend Welcome to Hell?: In Search of the Real Turkish Football

https://www.amazon.ca/Welcome-Hell-Search-Turkish-Football/dp/1474604765