Sam Adekugbe

Dub Narcotic

On 12/10/2020 at 12:16 PM, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

I couldn't find any details about his injury in the 6th minute on Monday but he was helped off the field.

https://www.vif-fotball.no/nyheter/aron-donnum-sendte-valerenga-til-himmels

He didn't travel with the team for today's game. https://www.vif-fotball.no/nyheter/flere-endringer-mot-viking

said this elsewhere in another thread, but Eliteserien Fantasy had it quoted as a thigh/hamstring injury... but seeing as he went the full 90', it was probably just a strain.

• 4 months later...

The Eliteserien was supposed to begin in early April but, like many things, was delayed due to COVID19.

It's supposed to start next weekend.

Today Adekugbe was in the starting lineup for the final friendly match of the season.
https://www.vif-fotball.no/nyheter/valerengas-xi-i-generalproven

On 12/16/2020 at 2:04 PM, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

I have no update about the status of Sam's injury but Vålerenga have qualified for the Europa League (second qualifying round) by finishing Top 4.

Apologies and correction, they have qualified to the new 3rd tier Europa Conference League.

Their qualifying round begins in late July so if Sam wants to play European football he would need to miss the Gold Cup.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2021–22_UEFA_Europa_Conference_League#Second_qualifying_round

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

1 hour ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

The Eliteserien was supposed to begin in early April but, like many things, was delayed due to COVID19.

It's supposed to start next weekend.

Today Adekugbe was in the starting lineup for the final friendly match of the season.
https://www.vif-fotball.no/nyheter/valerengas-xi-i-generalproven

Apologies and correction, they have qualified to the new 3rd tier Europa Conference League.

Their qualifying round begins in late July so if Sam wants to play European football he would need to miss the Gold Cup.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2021–22_UEFA_Europa_Conference_League#Second_qualifying_round

No problems with that. A good chance for Gutierrez, Bassong maybe even Cordova.

Understandably, many of us have a favourable bias towards Cdn MLS players,because we see them play a lot. How many have watched Sam and Valerenga over the past 3 seasons?  Sam has played 77 games..most of them starts/ 90 mins and will be playing Europa next season. 110 appearances in MLS/Allsvenskan/Eliteserien and 1 game in the English Championship. Regardless of whether MLS is better than Eliteserien, you simply can't ignore that level of experience for a defender in our squad in "win or go home WCQ". He  has 12 caps for the CMNT including 2 at the 2017 GC.  I thought he was excellent at LB vs Bermuda.  Unless JH uses Davies (unlikely), he should start  vs Suriname. 

3 hours ago, Kadenge said:

Understandably, many of us have a favourable bias towards Cdn MLS players,because we see them play a lot. How many have watched Sam and Valerenga over the past 3 seasons?  Sam has played 77 games..most of them starts/ 90 mins and will be playing Europa next season. 110 appearances in MLS/Allsvenskan/Eliteserien and 1 game in the English Championship. Regardless of whether MLS is better than Eliteserien, you simply can't ignore that level of experience for a defender in our squad in "win or go home WCQ". He  has 12 caps for the CMNT including 2 at the 2017 GC.  I thought he was excellent at LB vs Bermuda.  Unless JH uses Davies (unlikely), he should start  vs Suriname. 

I don't really think most people question his abilities or level of talent.  Rather, it's his ability to stay healthy that I think has held him back from being a more active member of the CMNT.  If he's healthy, great.  Bring him in.  I just don't think we can count on that.

Another factor is because we've only played three (!) friendlies since Herdman took over in 2018 (And all in 2020 in January) Guys like Adekugbe don't get seen more consistently.

It's a joke he only has like 13 caps when someone else in his position who is Mexican or American will have almost doubled that number.

edit: four, not three

Edited by VinceA

Calling on a little bit of Norwegian experience here/from some friends across the pond: the rumours are actually carry-over from January, when the Norwegian off-season transfer window opened. Rumoured bids from Rostov and Ferencvaros are reported at just under 3m NOK (comes out to ~400k CAD), with VIF also looking (apparently) to move on their backup fullback Felix Horn Myhre. Nettavisen (the outlet that apparently broke the news), who are fairly trustworthy when it comes to rumours, have also confirmed that Vålerenga have submitted an offer for Strømsgodset's 21yo Nico Mickelson, though none of the bids on either Sam, FHM or Mickelson have been accepted as of yet.

As for the destination, both Rostov and Ferencvaros have been active in the Norwegian market in the last few years, with some of the other top clubs in Norway (Molde specifically) selling on players like Tokmac and Wingo - so definitely could be legs to the rumours. Reached out to a friend that follows Russian football to get some clarification on Rostov's LB/defence situation, yet to hear back though.

Edited by bfque8

13 hours ago, bfque8 said:

Calling on a little bit of Norwegian experience here/from some friends across the pond: the rumours are actually carry-over from January, when the off-season Norwegian transfer window opened. Rumoured bids from Rostov and Ferencvaros are reported at just under 3m NOK (comes out to ~400k CAD), with VIF also looking (apparently) to move on their backup fullback Felix Horn Myhre. Nettavisen (the outlet that apparently broke the news), who are fairly trustworthy when it comes to rumours, have also confirmed that Vålerenga have submitted an offer for Strømsgodset's 21yo Nico Mickelson, though none of the bids on either Sam, FHM or Mickelson have been accepted as of yet.

As for the destination, both Rostov and Ferencvaros have been active in the Norwegian market in the last few years, with some of the other top clubs in Norway (Molde specifically) selling on players like Tokmac and Wingo - so definitely could be legs to the rumours. Reached out to a friend that follows Russian football to get some clarification on Rostov's LB/defence situation, yet to hear back though.

and as I expected, that friend did confirm that with Aleesami having just come in during the winter window, Rostov probably would be secondary here.

Worth noting, today is deadline day in Norway with clubs trying to tie up deals - doesn't necessarily stop Sam from leaving, but if he does, it'll be negotiated for the main European summer window. Mickelson seems content on staying with Godset, so any Adekugbe deal would still be reliant on Vålerenga bringing in a replacement.

Edited by bfque8

• 4 weeks later...

No confirmation from either club yet (largely because the window hasn't opened just yet), but it's Horvath so I imagine that confirmation will be coming down once the Hungarian window opens on June 15th.

Edited by bfque8

As someone who watches a lot of Scandianvian footy: it's a step down in league but a step up in club, generally speaking (assuming he starts) considering the regular UCL/UEL. League is certainly less competitive overall with Ferencvaros being a big fish in a small pond. Interestingly, an ex-Eliteserien player and Norwegian international (Tokmac Nguen) might as well be the MVP in the Nöi NB I.

1 hour ago, bfque8 said:

As someone who watches a lot of Scandianvian footy: it's a step down in league but a step up in club, generally speaking (assuming he starts) considering the regular UCL/UEL. League is certainly less competitive overall with Ferencvaros being a big fish in a small pond. Interestingly, an ex-Eliteserien player and Norwegian international (Tokmac Nguen) might as well be the MVP in the Nöi NB I.

Yeah this seems to be what is happening.

Will say this is probably a good time as any for Gutierrez to stake his claim for that starting job as MLS on the whole is stronger than both Norway and Hungary, the latter particularly is rife with admin and financial issues.