Cyle Larin

shermanator

I like pointed. They have seen the benefit of players like Davies and Almiron moving on and have openly expressed that theyre willing to embrace a "selling league" label in order to gain credibility. Because lets be honest, everyone outside of 5 or 6 teams ultimately are sellers. I think they also realize they need to retain yound domestic talents. The last U20 wcup there was like 2 starters on the US team from mls clubs. I think conventional wisdom was that young players wanted to go to europe because they could develop more but now its more about money. Why stay in the MLS if theyre going to handcuff you to a crap contract for 5 years. Jurgen criticized the MLS for this saying players should be paid for what they will do during the duration of their contract not for what theyve done prior to signing the contract.

Im not sure about changes to contract rules but player signings and the leagues public attitude seems to have changed since Larin left

4 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

No its not moot. Forgot if he's coming or not

You think the league would not allow Larin back? That's what you implied.  Thats a big statement. 

How is that too difficult to understand? It is within their powers because of how the league is structured. Whether they would do that is the big question but Garner seems like a vindictive little man to me so...

1 hour ago, SpursFlu said:

I like pointed. They have seen the benefit of players like Davies and Almiron moving on and have openly expressed that theyre willing to embrace a "selling league" label in order to gain credibility. Because lets be honest, everyone outside of 5 or 6 teams ultimately are sellers. I think they also realize they need to retain yound domestic talents. The last U20 wcup there was like 2 starters on the US team from mls clubs. I think conventional wisdom was that young players wanted to go to europe because they could develop more but now its more about money. Why stay in the MLS if theyre going to handcuff you to a crap contract for 5 years. Jurgen criticized the MLS for this saying players should be paid for what they will do during the duration of their contract not for what theyve done prior to signing the contract.

Im not sure about changes to contract rules but player signings and the leagues public attitude seems to have changed since Larin left

Being a selling league or not has nothing to do with it.  MLS sees a guy who signs a deal (with options) and forces his way out of the league.  That is a terrible precident to let sit there from MLS point of view.  If you arent going to honor the contract, dont sign a 3 year plus option deal.  If Fifa says its not binding then its not binding for everyone not just the top talent and all the leagues with unilateral option years need to stop.  And MLS will put up a fight on that because their rules are murky as hell.   If the rules are clear then everyone can negotiate in the open (know exactly where they stand) and a Larin or Camilo situation wont happen. 

There might not be anything against Larin personally but I imagine the agent/management that forced the move from Orlando wont be very popular with MLS.  Its a nasty can of worms they dont want opened and I dont remember seeing any changes in attitude about it.   

• 1 month later...

Instanbul Basaksehir has had a monumental collapse in the Super Lig.  Winning only once in their past 6 games.  After today's tie Galatasaray are only 3 points behind and Besiktas 4 points with a game in hand.  At one point Besiktas looked unlikely to crack the top 2 which would give a Champions League spot.  If Besiktas win the remaining 4 games they will at minimum finish 2nd and qualify for Champions League.  Sunday will be the big game vs Galatasaray who is 1 point ahead of them.  Galatsaray also play Basaksehir in a couple weeks which could help Besiktas title chances even more.

Point being - I doubt we will see very little, if any of Cyle Larin for the remainder of the season unless Besiktas are up large in a game.  Besiktas have everything to play for right now.

• 3 weeks later...

He's really blowing his opportunity 

Played the full 90. Looked like he hadn't played in a while. Was out wide for most of the match but moved more central with about 25 minutes left. Was looking kind of gassed by the 60th minute and then missed a clear chance that he should have realistically got on net and definitely should have scored. 

Quote from Besiktas reddit: Larin şu ana kadar gördüğüm en kötü Beşiktaş oyuncusu olabilir. 

Which translates to: Larin may be the worst Besiktas player I've ever seen

Also another quote which referred to Larin as an absolute joke of a footballer. 

I like the guy but he probably shouldn't be at Besiktas anymore. 

Edited by JuicyHam

37 minutes ago, JuicyHam said:

He's really blowing his opportunity 

Played the full 90. Looked like he hadn't played in a while. Was out wide for most of the match but moved more central with about 25 minutes left. Was looking kind of gassed by the 60th minute and then missed a clear chance that he should have realistically got on net and definitely should have scored. 

Quote from Besiktas reddit: Larin şu ana kadar gördüğüm en kötü Beşiktaş oyuncusu olabilir. 

Which translates to: Larin may be the worst Besiktas player I've ever seen

Also another quote which referred to Larin as an absolute joke of a footballer. 

I like the guy but he probably shouldn't be at Besiktas anymore. 

They also said the same sort of thing about Atiba toward the end of last season when he was struggling with fitness.

I agree it may be time for him to move on, but a couple of overblown takes from fans mean next to nothing. He obviously isn't match fit and is being played way out of position; he could still conceivably turn things around next year with a full preseason and opportunities to play as a striker.

3 hours ago, Zem said:

They also said the same sort of thing about Atiba toward the end of last season when he was struggling with fitness.

I agree it may be time for him to move on, but a couple of overblown takes from fans mean next to nothing. He obviously isn't match fit and is being played way out of position; he could still conceivably turn things around next year with a full preseason and opportunities to play as a striker.

Agreed. I'm hoping the Gold Cup can be the tournament that kick starts his rise or perhaps prompts a move that is better suited to him. He'll have his chances and hopefully he can take them. Regardless of how poor he was today or whether he was played out of position I'm very happy he got some game time in before the tournament. 

1 hour ago, Reign said:

Depending how the line ups and where they decide to play some players. Latin potentially shouldn’t even see the pitch at the World Cup. Definitely shouldn’t start any games.

Cavallini cant play every minute, especially if we get to the quarters or semis.  If people are advocating giving Borjan a game off, then Cav, David Hoilet, Arfield, Kaye should all be subbed or rested as well.  I think they'll be an appearance by Larin, and Osorio, Tiebert, Piette etc.   Room to play almost everyone, unless we shit the bed and go out early.

2 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Cavallini cant play every minute, especially if we get to the quarters or semis.  If people are advocating giving Borjan a game off, then Cav, David Hoilet, Arfield, Kaye should all be subbed or rested as well.  I think they'll be an appearance by Larin, and Osorio, Tiebert, Piette etc.   Room to play almost everyone, unless we **** the bed and go out early.

David mite be played as a lone striker ? Who knows. No confidence in Larin for me atm. I’d be very careful of giving him many minutes.

He's currently not a starter but I'm not too concerned.  Even at his age he will have double the international goals compared to anyone else on this roster for Canada.  I'm disappointed how 2019 has gone for him but he's still talented.  Over his 3 years in the MLS he scored more goals than Jozy Altidore.  He makes than 18 man squad weekly for one of the best Turkish teams.  In comparison Davies has played 74 min (less than a full game) for Bayern Munich's first team in 2019 and no one is concerned.  Not too mention he didn't play for the last 3 months in 2018 either.

I get that Davies is younger than Larin and plays for a better team.  My point is that there are some talented players that should be included in our roster that have lacked playing time in 2019.  He also trains every day with a top European club.  The coaching and training is going to be better and more intense than what Ricketts has in Lithuania for example.

Cavallini is my starter but I'm not willing to experiment with strikers during the Gold Cup tournament.

Edited by Corazon

• 4 weeks later...

He was in a strange role last night.  Playing as a right winger and often defending deep alongside our box.  The role he played seemed like it would be perfect for a guy like Akindele because it seems Herdman wanted a guy who could hold the ball up and also to have two strikers in the box if Davies was ever unleashed. Unfortunately that never worked out. 

Upset that he couldn’t have at least one look.  He may not get other chances as I would expect both Cavallini and David to start vs Cuba and in the QF. 

15 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

He was in a strange role last night.  Playing as a right winger and often defending deep alongside our box.  The role he played seemed like it would be perfect for a guy like Akindele because it seems Herdman wanted a guy who could hold the ball up and also to have two strikers in the box if Davies was ever unleashed. Unfortunately that never worked out. 

Upset that he couldn’t have at least one look.  He may not get other chances as I would expect both Cavallini and David to start vs Cuba and in the QF. 

Totally agree that role was begging for Akindele, but Herdman made his choice. What's done is done. I don't see Larin suiting up in that role much anyhow. I think it was partly out of necessity to keep Hoilett fresh for Cuba.

What's disappointing (but expected) is that Larin is not playing instinctively. He is definitely putting in the work to stay fit and focused, but it's difficult to find your rhythm when you haven't played regularly.

I can see improvements in his game, developed by virtue of training with a high level team like Besiktas week-in and week-out, but now he needs to just find his rhythm again so that he can be the instinctive finisher we know he can be. 

Edited by Obinna

For a player that has struggled all 2019 with playing form, to throw him in out of his normal position against the top team in the region is unfair in my opinion.  For a player struggling like him, a start vs Cuba or a substitute appearance against Cuba would have been much better for him and his confidence.  Even a player in as poor form as him could bag a couple goals in a short time vs Cuba.

Larin shouldn’t be on the 23 man roster never mind starting games. Was very unimpressed last night. I would have pulled him as soon as he had that half asses run to the box when Cavallini got that first real threatening shot. If Larin picks up the pace he draws a defender, gets a rebound, or gets a pass. Easily could have been 1-1 on the play. 

Edited by Reign

18 minutes ago, Corazon said:

For a player that has struggled all 2019 with playing form, to throw him in out of his normal position against the top team in the region is unfair in my opinion.  For a player struggling like him, a start vs Cuba or a substitute appearance against Cuba would have been much better for him and his confidence.  Even a player in as poor form as him could bag a couple goals in a short time vs Cuba.

Agreed. Considering what was asked of him, I thought Cyle did reasonably well.