Cyle Larin

shermanator

31 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Interesting they are playing at least two strikers in Larin and Berahino that have traditionally only worked best as lone strikers. 

Glad he is getting minutes. If he gets minutes the form will return.

Berahino was playing behind or at least off him for most of it. He was the point of the spear as they say. 

Generally looked very good, still with a lot of pace and power.  Very nice pass for the assist.

He and  Berahino look like they have an understanding and it was just a goal celebration, but looked to be getting on from that as well.

Could be a very productive year.

9 minutes ago, SkuseisLoose said:

Here’s the goal nothing special on the assist 

Hey,  I am happy to rip Larin a new one when it is deserved, but that is a good play.  He passes it to the mid, sprints past 2 defenders to receive the ball in space, and then cuts it back way across the box to give B an easy finish.  In my books, that is a solid play by Larin. 

2 hours ago, SkuseisLoose said:

Here’s the goal nothing special on the assist 

Don't know if we're watching the same video but that goal was all Larin.  He takes the pass from the keeper, dribbles into the attacking half on a full run, lays it back, out sprints two defenders on a give and go and then cuts it back across the box for a tap in.

4 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

Hey,  I am happy to rip Larin a new one when it is deserved, but that is a good play.  He passes it to the mid, sprints past 2 defenders to receive the ball in space, and then cuts it back way across the box to give B an easy finish.  In my books, that is a solid play by Larin. 

I wasn’t trying to rip Larin I was just looking at the pass and it was just a pass across the box which wasn’t very special. I wasn’t even sure who was Larin when I watched the video until he passed the ball. Sorry that it came across as me hating on Larin.

7 hours ago, SkuseisLoose said:

I wasn’t trying to rip Larin I was just looking at the pass and it was just a pass across the box which wasn’t very special. I wasn’t even sure who was Larin when I watched the video until he passed the ball. Sorry that it came across as me hating on Larin.

All opinions but I look at it this way.  He was moving at speed but still had a man up next to him and number of others just behind and to the side.  Instead of poking it ahead for himself or his teammate right beside him which then might give the keeper a chance to rush up and either get at it or at least cut down the angle, he executes a weighted pass that both makes the keeper move laterally but also allowed Berahino, the most open man,  to take it first time and in relative stride.

I have no idea what is going through his head obviously, but it seems good decision making and almost perfect execution.  

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

2 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

I have no idea what is going through his head obviously, but it seems good decision making and almost perfect execution.  

I too thought it was a good play, but the layoff, to me, seems like someone who doesn't quite have his swagger back.  Larin back when he was with Orlando probably would've tried to slot it home himself.  It's good though.  Hopefully he continues to work on his confidence.

I don't think people appreciate the vision and awareness Larin shows in the entire sequence. When he receives the ball from the keeper, look near the top of the screen and you'll see the guy who ultimately scores racing up the field towards the goal. 

In a nutshell, the sequence is what makes Larin such a tantalizing and also frustrating player because he has both the physical tools as well as decent soccer IQ to do so much more than he's shown.

Edited by Snowcrash

A play and sequence like that is a huge confidence booster for himself, teammates and trust from coaching staff. As pointed out, after the goal, his teamates rush to congratulate him not the goal scorer at first haha. 

How many times have you seen a player go for goal, get robbed or miss, when they could have layed it off for a clear empty net to a teammate. For me the entire counter and play was great, but that layoff, awareness and recognition was especially nice to see. 

Larin has always been an excellent player, I was always a little worried about him going to Besiktas first for his first time out of NA, for 10+ different reasons (not just footy). As many on here, I was always hoping his first euro transfer would have been Belgium or Holland. I am really glad he is playing in Belgium now and really cheering for him to find his stride and confidence back this season.

25 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

If he is fit and motivated now is the perfect time to lead the line against Cuba.  No Cavallini, great service from Davies, Hoilett, David et al, bang in a goal and get your confidence back up.  He has always been a streaky scorer, hopefully he can start the ball rolling in a red shirt.  

And if he doesn't do it himself (which, being honest, is entirely possible) we have a supporting cast very capable of smashing a few in to take care of business. 

Having said that, I hope Tesho sees the field for at least  a solid 20-30 minutes.  

With two games, I'm expecting both to get in some minutes.  I agree that this is a great time to start Larin, given he is playing regularly and well.  Against Cuba, he could get a couple goals and finally get that off of his back.  In all honesty with discussions of resting players during the Gold Cup.  Cuba was the game for Larin to start.

Tesho also deserves to start one of the games given his season performance to date.