Cyle Larin

shermanator

On 6/22/2019 at 2:53 AM, BrennanFan said:

Besiktas is a tough, tough place to be for your first European contract, especially as a striker. He should have been loaned out from the start.  

Good luck to Cyle. 

Of course. But I guess it's hard to say no to a boatload of cash. He needs this move to get back on track and show why he was regarded so highly. 

Yesterday could have been a nice confidence boost for Larin had he seen some minutes and bagged a goal or two.  Should never have played the position he did in the Mexico.  Should have been given to another attacking player.  Maybe we see him late in a knockout game but hopefully we can see him regain form in the fall.

4 hours ago, Corazon said:

Yesterday could have been a nice confidence boost for Larin had he seen some minutes and bagged a goal or two.  Should never have played the position he did in the Mexico.  Should have been given to another attacking player.  Maybe we see him late in a knockout game but hopefully we can see him regain form in the fall.

Agree with playing him on the wing, that's just bogus.

But let's be real here, the kid has barely played in 2 seasons. It's impossible to get in shape like that. 

1 hour ago, shamrock said:

Agree with playing him on the wing, that's just bogus.

But let's be real here, the kid has barely played in 2 seasons. It's impossible to get in shape like that. 

This...I like Larin but I questioned his selection due to a lack of match fitness. No problem with his performance vs Mexico but what he needs the most is playing time with his new club...He will rise again.

Turkey is a terrible place for youth development, but Larin is already 24... I hope he does well in Belgium, but I'm not holding my breath for any substantial improvement in ability, he is a US college product anyways.  I'm pretty sure he would be a much better player now had he gone to Europe after Sigma.

Edited by SerTwenty

8 hours ago, SerTwenty said:

Turkey is a terrible place for youth development, but Larin is already 24... I hope he does well in Belgium, but I'm not holding my breath for any substantial improvement in ability, he is a US college product anyways.  I'm pretty sure he would be a much better player now had he gone to Europe after Sigma.

He's barely a college player with 1 season...He was on an upwards trajectory but then made a wrong choice (I don't know which other options there were tough). Zulte is not top-tier but just under that and they have to put some cash down for him. So there's no doubt that he'll get his chances there. I think he'll tear it up. 10-12 goals at bare minimum. 

• 2 weeks later...

Good move for Larin, perhaps we all underestimated the transition challenge to Besiktas. Larin is still a good striker, he just needs to play and get his confidence back. He had some really good moments during the Gold Cup (got incorrectly called offside against Mexico), but the rust took its toll. Belgium is a good level for him.

I'll add something to this: Besiktas was too much of a jump from MLS. I thought that he needed a loan to a midtable European team of a similar league once he got there. Midtable Belgium is comparable to MLS in terms of talent. So, I expect him to score against the midtable teams /bottom.. If he can play well against Anderlecht, Liège, Club Brugge and Genk, that's when we'll know he's ready for Europe.

Edited by Blackdude
jump not job

31 minutes ago, LeoH037 said:

Good move for Larin, perhaps we all underestimated the transition challenge to Besiktas. Larin is still a good striker, he just needs to play and get his confidence back. He had some really good moments during the Gold Cup (got incorrectly called offside against Mexico), but the rust took its toll. Belgium is a good level for him.

Too bad he didn't get on the field against Haiti when we still had one sub remaining and needed a tying goal in a do-or-die match.

Good opportunity for Larin.  Besiktas turned out to be too big of a jump but it clearly became mental as well.  When Larin was given his first opportunities near the end of the 2017-18 season, he scored several goals in a few games.  Just never progressed in the 2018-19 season.

Zulte Waregem should be a good fit for him.  He joins the squad already with the capabilities to be a starter.  With Besiktas, he plays on a quality team that dominated most of the league, however with Zulte we have to be cognizant of the fact that opportunities will be scarce in some games.

2 hours ago, baulderdash77 said:

My bold prediction both Larin and David are top 10 in the league in scoring next year with 15+ goals.  Also this will garner some attention to both as a result.

I absolutely hope this is right...

4 minutes ago, Reign said:

I don’t expect much from Larin in Belgium honestly. I’m guessing he struggles here too. 

...but the pessimist in me....

Edited by dyslexic nam

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, jordan said:

Hasn't played any friendlies yet. Will need to make a big impression as Zulte has signed Gianni Bruno today, and Saido Berahino has been training with the club.

Thats some decent competition he is up against for minutes. 

On 7/24/2019 at 3:31 PM, jordan said:

Hasn't played any friendlies yet. Will need to make a big impression as Zulte has signed Gianni Bruno today, and Saido Berahino has been training with the club.

I read a love-in in the press between Berahino and the Zulte manager, which is not great news but nothing official and he remains a Stoke player.  They start their campaign tonight, I believe.