Cyle Larin

shermanator

17 hours ago, AvroArrow said:

I would imagine Larin has dreams of playing for one of the big clubs of Europe.  He likely saw moving from the MLS to Turkey as a step in that direction, so I don't blame him for taking the opportunity.  Besiktas is not Barcelona, so I would imagine he viewed himself as having a good chance to crack the starting lineup consistently.

Also, I'm assuming he got a pay raise, so he likely viewed this as win-win, with the exception of living in Florida vs. living in Turkey.  Hutch seems to be doing fine though.

I may be in the minority here, but I'd choose living in Istanbul 100 times out of 100 over Orlando. One is a historic, cultural mecca of a city and the other is a soulless shithole of a theme park.

(I wrote this comment before reading the next page with other comments agreeing with my sentiment.)

Edited by SthMelbRed
adding context

2 hours ago, Grizzly said:

And if that doesn't work out he will still at least get a loan or transfer to another club.

THIS. He has a nice cheque while living in a cosmopolitan city, and the worse that can happen to him (professionally) is that he gets a loan-deal to a smaller club. I bet he is laughing out loud. 

12 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

It is easy to say it was a bad move in retrospect, but at the time of the transfer  I don't recall anyone waving their hands and screaming that he should stay in MLS for a lot less money. He was a fairly dominant striker in MLS and had the chance to move to a team that was playing in the Champion's League and had a stronger domestic league. The fact that it didn't pan out is unfortunate but it seems like historical revisionism to claim it was the wrong move at the time.. I suspect anyone in his position would have done the same thing.

Yeah of course and there's more ways to Rome. The fact that he hit a rough pad right now doesn't mean it's the end of his career. he'll rebound again and will take a step back to take another one forward (don't know if it makes sense the way I put it). 

On 3/14/2019 at 9:50 AM, SthMelbRed said:

I may be in the minority here, but I'd choose living in Istanbul 100 times out of 100 over Orlando. One is a historic, cultural mecca of a city and the other is a soulless shithole of a theme park.

(I wrote this comment before reading the next page with other comments agreeing with my sentiment.)

The only problem with that, sad to say, is that Turkey is in an extremely repressive mode, and human rights are being destroyed. Thousands of civil servants, perceived to be not favourable to the governing party (Erdogan), have been summararily fired. School teachers dumped. And all opposition is repressed violently. There was a supposed coup attempt a few years ago, real or not, and that is the excuse to purge tens of thousands.

The current leader of the league in Turkey, Istanbul Basaksehir, is the regime's team, they have virtually no fan base, but are beating out the big three in the capital. The struggles of teams with a more "liberal" reputation, in terms of more relaxed Islamic ideals and social mores, Besiktas included, could be arguably related to them being out of favour politically. 

A former design student of mine who is a skater and has a street wear line, was in Ismir for almost a year looking to produce his textile there. Because he did skating with socially deprived kids he caught the attention of the authorities, and was offered a job in Ankara, with the Ministry of Culture, to run skate programs. But he says in Ismir, he had friends skating, students, workers, and he'd find people would just disappear, because just being skaters they were perceived as dissidents. He did not take that job.

Let's not even mention the disgusting treatment of ethnic minorities, Kurds, Alevis, others. 

So to conclude: in principle more interesting than Orlando, but lots of caveats there.

23 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

Word on the Streetz.. Besiktas and Whitecaps have agreed on a 2 million dollar transfer fee. Phil Dos Santos just denied it on tsn 1040

Hope it isn't true. He needs a change of scenery in a Euro league like Netherlands, Poland or elsewhere. It's premature to come back to MLS now

I hope it is a loan and not a transfer. It is hard to imagine Larin wanted to give up on Europe.

For Besitkas, it would be short sighted to cut their losses, but I never trusted them with player development to begin with, so I can see them selling him on. Could be a cost cutting measure though, as he's on +€1M/yr, I think. Most Turkish clubs are struggling lately on the financial side.

19 hours ago, Ansem said:

This should be taken as good news, I just believe that it would have been too disappointing for him personally to abandon his European experience and return to MLS, even if he would have tear it up with the whitecaps like he did with Orlando City. He's far from done, I do think he needs to get the hell out of Turkey; the pressure in Besiktas is just too much. I think a good side in Erevidise will do, not PSV/Ajax or Feyenoord, but Utrecht for example would be the right fit for him 

Super Lig has a different style of play that doesn't suit Cyle's game, that and the fact that his confidence is low and needs to play; he's got stiff competition at the Instanbul Giants