Cyle Larin

shermanator

Larin did well a few times holding the ball up, but his speed in decision making is way too slow. Multiple times if his first read didn't pan out he had no contingency plan. Overall though, he was given a difficult assignment and it's impossible to judge him overall based on playing as a defensive winger versus Mexico. His role on this squad should be emergency sub when we need a goal (or minutes muncher versus Cuba).

Just now, El Diego said:

Larin did well a few times holding the ball up, but his speed in decision making is way too slow. Multiple times if his first read didn't pan out he had no contingency plan. Overall though, he was given a difficult assignment and it's impossible to judge him overall based on playing as a defensive winger versus Mexico. His role on this squad should be emergency sub when we need a goal (or minutes muncher versus Cuba).

Spot on.  That's his role with this current program until he can regain form.

4 hours ago, El Diego said:

Larin is a  "pure #9". His game in MLS was reliant on good service in the box and he was proficient in finishing. His decision making and timing of being in the right spot used to be very good. Until recently we did not have the wingers or playmakers to provide him with the same service; or under Floro did not play the style of game period. He was put in a very difficult position yesterday. His match fitness is understandably not up to par, which was a concern coming in to the GC.

20 minutes ago, jordan said:

There has been some Zulte Waregem loan chatter, though timing seems off

I would be happy for him to get loaned at that level at this point. Go to a mid to low tier Juliper league club and bang in a ton of goals and get your confidence up.

Make it a full season loan. Rack up the goals. Come back to Besiktas with a ton of confidence and teams looking for your services. If you win a role with Besiktas? Great. If you're not in the plan, maybe they finally sell you (perhaps to a team like Standard Liege or Club Brugges) for a profit, now that your stock is up.

By the way, I think he trained with one of those teams before he even signed a pro contract with MLS, right?

Edited by Obinna

12 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I would be happy for him to get loaned at that level at this point. Go to a mid to low tier Juliper league club and bang in a ton of goals and get your confidence up.

Make it a full season loan. Rack up the goals. Come back to Besiktas with a ton of confidence and teams looking for your services. If you win a role with Besiktas? Great. If you're not in the plan, maybe they finally sell you (perhaps to a team like Standard Liege or Club Brugges) for a profit, now that your stock is up.

By the way, I think he trained with one of those teams before he even signed a pro contract with MLS, right?

You are right about training with a club just at this point I don’t remember who

58 minutes ago, Obinna said:

45 minutes ago, jordan said:

You are right about training with a club just at this point I don’t remember who

The Belgian club he trained at was Club Brugge, and he also spent time with Werder Bremen, Hertha Berlin and Wolfsburg.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/cyle-larin-mls-major-league-soccer-orlando-city-besiktas-turkey-canada/

I do hope a suitable loan goes through and Cyle regains his form. When fans, myself included, watch a live game emotion takes over and objectivity goes out the window. I re watched the Mexico game and Larin, mostly as a result of good hold up play, won a lot of fouls and  free kicks in the 56 mins he played ..did not count but it was close to double digits. He did a lot of the heavy lifting in what appeared to be a contain tactical objective. The run he made, which I am not convinced was offside, was a beauty and would have sent him in clear early in the game. Difficult to shine offensively when the team was not set up to attack in the first half but Cyle, I believe, did what was asked of him

1 hour ago, Kadenge said:

I do hope a suitable loan goes through and Cyle regains his form. When fans, myself included, watch a live game emotion takes over and objectivity goes out the window. I re watched the Mexico game and Larin, mostly as a result of good hold up play, won a lot of fouls and  free kicks in the 56 mins he played ..did not count but it was close to double digits. He did a lot of the heavy lifting in what appeared to be a contain tactical objective. The run he made, which I am not convinced was offside, was a beauty and would have sent him in clear early in the game. Difficult to shine offensively when the team was not set up to attack in the first half but Cyle, I believe, did what was asked of him

Yeah, watching the game I thought it was one of the better times I had seen him - given the role he was playing, the team we put out, and the opposition. Then I came here and lots of people were ripping on him so I wondered if I was just naive. 

All in all I still think it was reasonably solid.   Big ask for Larin, and he was far from perfect, but I thought there was definitely potential. 

1 hour ago, Kadenge said:

I also noticed his technically ability and first touch have significantly improved. I can't judge him based on his performance against Mexico because he was isolated for much of the match, and was playing out of position. He is a pure #9 and doesn't have the pace to be on the wings. He is still young and can turn his European career around if he keeps working.

4 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

So 

lR6x_U0z_bigger.jpgSV Zulte Waregem

came 11th of 16 this year in the Belgium top flight. Hard to imagine they have the money to pay a salary like Cyle's. 

I personally think it is going to be great for him, I am optimistic about the move. 

I wonder what the transfer fee was? 

Zulte Waregem will look like geniuses if this pans out. Good for them and great opportunity for Larin.

10 minutes ago, apbsmith said:

I wonder what the transfer fee was? 

Zulte Waregem will look like geniuses if this pans out. Good for them and great opportunity for Larin.

I think a loan usually does not involve a fee, you take that player's salary of his team's books and pay it to him. With, or so it appears, a clause to ensure that the player will benefit from the loan and will play. 

Because if Larin does not play, he disappears, then Besiktas would not have a  chance to get part of their transfer fee investment back. 

14 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I think a loan usually does not involve a fee, you take that player's salary of his team's books and pay it to him. With, or so it appears, a clause to ensure that the player will benefit from the loan and will play.  

My bad, Friday, long week, thx. 

At first I was optimistic Besiktas could further develop him, despite the reputation of Turkish clubs when it comes to young players. Including an option to by for 2.5M does nothing to combat that stereotype. I hope they do sell Larin for this paltry sum and then watch him triple his value in Belgium in an environment that can actually develop the young player.

As I write Zulte Waregem has not announced this loan. Yesterday eve I thought they might get to it this morning, but in spite of a regular Twitter feed and much of it official stuff, no news from them yet. 

So I suppose it has not been signed yet. The team I believe is training as their season starts next month.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist