Cyle Larin

shermanator

51 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

If he is fit and motivated now is the perfect time to lead the line against Cuba.  No Cavallini, great service from Davies, Hoilett, David et al, bang in a goal and get your confidence back up.  He has always been a streaky scorer, hopefully he can start the ball rolling in a red shirt.  

If he does score against Cuba, all people are going to say is he only scores against minnows.... And off his backside.

1 hour ago, Stryker911 said:

If he does score against Cuba, all people are going to say is he only scores against minnows.... And off his backside.

True.  Although I get that David is another player altogether and ceiling much greater than Larin you could say the same for David.  Goals against US Virgin Islands (2), Dominica, French Guiana, Martinique (2), Cuba (3) & Haiti.  You can say the same for Cavallini besides his one goal vs Mexico.  Goals against Us Virgin Islands (2), Dominica, French Guiana, Martinique (2),  Cuba (3) & Haiti.

Mind you Larin has played nearly 30 games to their combined 25.  I still believe the minnow comment is more so a testament to our lack of competitive games as a nation.  We hardly play friendlies and rarely play strong programs when we do.  That combined with the fact we have continuously crashed out early of Gold Cup competitions and World Cup Qualifying and therefore seldomly play quality CONCACAF opponents.

2 hours ago, Corazon said:

True.  Although I get that David is another player altogether and ceiling much greater than Larin you could say the same for David.  Goals against US Virgin Islands (2), Dominica, French Guiana, Martinique (2), Cuba (3) & Haiti.  You can say the same for Cavallini besides his one goal vs Mexico.  Goals against Us Virgin Islands (2), Dominica, French Guiana, Martinique (2),  Cuba (3) & Haiti.

Reality is Canada only scores against minnows.

46 minutes ago, kacbru said:

Reality is Canada only scores against minnows.

I've looked this up a few times so I know that my man Ali Gerba actually scored a good number of his goals against decent opponents.

• 2 vs Mexico
  • 1 vs Jamaica
  • 1 vs El Salvador
  • 4 vs Guatemala
  • 1 vs Venezuela

None of these can be considered minnows, at least from the perspective of an underachieving Canadian national team. That's 9 of his 15 (other goals came against Cuba, St Vincent x 4, and Guadeloupe in a match Canada lost).

Edited by jonovision

3 hours ago, jonovision said:

I've looked this up a few times so I know that my man Ali Gerba actually scored a good number of his goals against decent opponents.

• 2 vs Mexico
  • 1 vs Jamaica
  • 1 vs El Salvador
  • 4 vs Guatemala
  • 1 vs Venezuela

None of these can be considered minnows, at least from the perspective of an underachieving Canadian national team. That's 9 of his 15 (other goals came against Cuba, St Vincent x 4, and Guadeloupe in a match Canada lost).

Yes, I also don't think Gerba gets the credit he deserves.

I was curious - going back to 2010 we've played 87 games and scored 120 goals (1.38 per game).  I've determined that since we are borderline minnow, anyone above us in the ranking is a non-minnow and anyone below us is a minnow.  Out of those 87 games, 48 were against non-minnows and we scored 28 goals (0.58 per game).  I had forgotten how often we used to play decent teams (or how many teams are above us in the ranking!)

I did math, so there is bound to be some errors in there...

8 hours ago, kacbru said:

Yes, I also don't think Gerba gets the credit he deserves.

I was curious - going back to 2010 we've played 87 games and scored 120 goals (1.38 per game).  I've determined that since we are borderline minnow, anyone above us in the ranking is a non-minnow and anyone below us is a minnow.  Out of those 87 games, 48 were against non-minnows and we scored 28 goals (0.58 per game).  I had forgotten how often we used to play decent teams (or how many teams are above us in the ranking!)

I did math, so there is bound to be some errors in there...

Not sure I agree with that.  For those of us that have been here for a long time, Gerba was often the only bright offensive point in an otherwise ineffective team.  People here (well, the old V’s site) used to chant his name.  He was always a bit of a puzzle because he never played at a high level but I def don’t think he was under appreciated among V’s. 

2 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

Not sure I agree with that.  For those of us that have been here for a long time, Gerba was often the only bright offensive point in an otherwise ineffective team.  People here (well, the old V’s site) used to chant his name.  He was always a bit of a puzzle because he never played at a high level but I def don’t think he was under appreciated among V’s. 

I always found it puzzling how he seemed to score everywhere he went but could never stick with a club. I also thought that TFC didn't give him enough of a shot

4 minutes ago, deschamp86 said:

I always found it puzzling how he seemed to score everywhere he went but could never stick with a club. I also thought that TFC didn't give him enough of a shot

Notoriously unfit and lazy.  Never a player teams wanted around their club full-time but for a nice week long call up he was magic. 

1 minute ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Notoriously unfit and lazy.  Never a player teams wanted around their club full-time but for a nice week long call up he was magic. 

But he still scored. Even at other clubs. One could only imagine what he might have been if he had put a little more effort in then I guess

• 2 weeks later...
42 minutes ago, Ansem said:

No, you're not dreaming of under the influence of illicit substance... this just happened 

LARIN scores

Video of the goal

https://www.proximus-sports.be/nl/voetbal/jupiler-pro-league/video/24863/goal-eupen-0-1-sv-zulte-waregem-45-larin

Pretty straightforward header but holds his marker off well. 

3 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Video of the goal

https://www.proximus-sports.be/nl/voetbal/jupiler-pro-league/video/24863/goal-eupen-0-1-sv-zulte-waregem-45-larin

Pretty straightforward header but holds his marker off well. 

He looks so happy to get one. Good for him. Would like to see him get going