Cyle Larin

shermanator

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 2/14/2019 at 2:30 PM, BrennanFan said:

Hope something works out for him, this is the level he should have gone with in the beginning. 

I still cannot understand why Larin chose MLS and Orlando over Genk back in 2015.   

I don’t know but there is a 27 year old Spaniard one of the best players in the Belgium league coming to Canada soon who is leaving the the Belgian League to come play in the MLS, Moreover, a guy name Almiron ever heard of him ? He chose the MLS over a few other leagues he could of gone too. Almiron did quite well in the MLS for a couple of seasons and now is in the English Premier League with Newcastle and so far is doing pretty good. I would argue Larin did even better than Almiron in the MLS but is riding the pines in a much inferior league than the English Premier League the Turkish League , so your argument that Larin should have chosen the Belgian league or the Dutch league over MLS makes no sense . Your saying if Larin would have chosen either of these two leagues over the MLS he would have been better off really ? It worked ok for Almiron so far  so why not Larin? 

Edited by 1996

I've said it before on here, I think banging in 10-15 goals a year in sunny florida must be looking pretty good to Larin now.  I hate to see a CDN guy get himself derailed heading over to Europe (Henry I am looking at you too).  What was he making 180g a year, playing 25-30 games a year, living in florida.  He would probably be maxed out or on TAm money by now.  Could have been worse, oops has been worse since going to turkey.  Mls isnt so bad that you have to run from it as soon as you rise to the top.   

1 hour ago, 1996 said:

I don’t know but there is a 27 year old Spaniard one of the best players in the Belgium league coming to Canada soon who is leaving the the Belgian League to come play in the MLS, Moreover, a guy name Almiron ever heard of him ? He chose the MLS over a few other leagues he could of gone too. Almiron did quite well in the MLS for a couple of seasons and now is in the English Premier League with Newcastle and so far is doing pretty good. I would argue Larin did even better than Almiron in the MLS but is riding the pines in a much inferior league than the English Premier League the Turkish League , so your argument that Larin should have chosen the Belgian league or the Dutch league over MLS makes no sense . Your saying if Larin would have chosen either of these two leagues over the MLS he would have been better off really ? It worked ok for Almiron so far  so why not Larin? 

There is a large chasm of difference between Almiron's development curve and Larin's. 

Though young, Almiron was already a seasoned pro having played for years in Paraguay and Argentina, and having won the Argentinian League as his team's #10 - all before coming to MLS.  MLS was just a quick stopover for him and everyone knew it.

Larin was a rookie in every sense when he started in Orlando.  He still had a long way to go development wise and yes, there is no question that Larin would have developed into a much better player at Genk, who have one of the best player development programs in Europe, having recently produced De Bruyne, Courtois, Jamaica's Leon Bailey and Origi to name a few.  Comparing the football education Larin received at Orlando to what he would have received at Genk is laughable. 

Edited by BrennanFan

2 hours ago, Bison44 said:

I've said it before on here, I think banging in 10-15 goals a year in sunny florida must be looking pretty good to Larin now.  I hate to see a CDN guy get himself derailed heading over to Europe (Henry I am looking at you too).  What was he making 180g a year, playing 25-30 games a year, living in florida.  He would probably be maxed out or on TAm money by now.  Could have been worse, oops has been worse since going to turkey.  Mls isnt so bad that you have to run from it as soon as you rise to the top.   

You seem misinformed....

Orlando didn’t value him the way he valued himself, they weren’t interested in making him a DP, preferring to make Dom Dwyer a DP.

also he wanted to go to Europe which he did, he’s 23 it’s not over.

We shouldn't be so harsh on Larin.  Perhaps he took one step too big but who can blame him for being attracted to a fairly top European team in Besitkas.  Young players here jump to play overseas for 3rd, 4th, 5th division teams in average leagues.  The reality is that he is  currently the 3rd or 4th best attacker on the team and his playing time shows.  It's not like hes been dropped, week in and week out he makes the 18 man squad for one of the most prestigious clubs in Turkey.  I agree he needs to find more playing time but his age, he still has a career ahead of him and potentially a good European career as well.

Edited by Corazon

I would imagine Larin has dreams of playing for one of the big clubs of Europe.  He likely saw moving from the MLS to Turkey as a step in that direction, so I don't blame him for taking the opportunity.  Besiktas is not Barcelona, so I would imagine he viewed himself as having a good chance to crack the starting lineup consistently.

Also, I'm assuming he got a pay raise, so he likely viewed this as win-win, with the exception of living in Florida vs. living in Turkey.  Hutch seems to be doing fine though.

6 minutes ago, AvroArrow said:

I would imagine Larin has dreams of playing for one of the big clubs of Europe.  He likely saw moving from the MLS to Turkey as a step in that direction, so I don't blame him for taking the opportunity.  Besiktas is not Barcelona, so I would imagine he viewed himself as having a good chance to crack the starting lineup consistently.

Also, I'm assuming he got a pay raise, so he likely viewed this as win-win, with the exception of living in Florida vs. living in Turkey.  Hutch seems to be doing fine though.

I don't want to start a debate but living in Istanbul would be, for me, a no-brainer vs living in Florida.

15 hours ago, Dominic94 said:

You seem misinformed....

Orlando didn’t value him the way he valued himself, they weren’t interested in making him a DP, preferring to make Dom Dwyer a DP

also he wanted to go to Europe which he did, he’s 23 it’s not over.

Hmmm the team didnt want to pay him what he thought he should get....I've never heard that one before. 

If he got a huge pay day in turkey, good for him.  I understand the desire wanting to move up and play in europes big leagues.  But looking back, he could have had 2 more years of starting in MLS, making a minimum of 180 (not sure when the options that JPG75 mentioned ran out).  I cant believe that this is how he thought it was going to work out.  A 21-22 year old needs to play if he is dreaming of going to make it big in europe, I hope he is getting great coaching/rounding out flaws in his game and will come out of this a better striker. Maybe he'll eventually go on to bigger things but its had to be frustrating riding the pine after being a starter and consistent scorer in MLS.  

It is easy to say it was a bad move in retrospect, but at the time of the transfer  I don't recall anyone waving their hands and screaming that he should stay in MLS for a lot less money. He was a fairly dominant striker in MLS and had the chance to move to a team that was playing in the Champion's League and had a stronger domestic league. The fact that it didn't pan out is unfortunate but it seems like historical revisionism to claim it was the wrong move at the time.. I suspect anyone in his position would have done the same thing.

17 hours ago, aloyol said:

I don't want to start a debate but living in Istanbul would be, for me, a no-brainer vs living in Florida.

As someone who lived in Florida for 3 years I completely agree. Florida is not an attractive place at all once when gets out of the beach resorts and gated communities. Even with the unstable political situation in Turkey and Syria I think Florida is a lot more dangerous place to live than Turkey.

I highly doubt he regrets his move. He has probably earned more and developed more as a player even if he has not played as much as he would like. I would say at worst he took a high risk gamble and broke even. He is still young and could still get another chance in the near future and have success at Besiktas. If another striker gets injured he could easily get some starts and if he gets hot could still end up being a success there. And if that doesn't work out he will still at least get a loan or transfer to another club.